Scott Stringer: Candidate for Comptroller

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer talks about his newly announced competition for the office of NYC Comptroller and his plans for the office.

Scott M. Stringer

Susan from new york

Where is the moderator here?
The republican is interrupting and taking over. We cannot here Springer talk
Stop this abuse now.
Someone moderate here.

Oct. 08 2013 07:27 PM
Roslyn from Manhattan

Scott Stringer attended our tenant meeting at Stuyvesant Town/Peter Cooper Village when we were fighting for our lives to hold on to our apartments, rent stabilization, and future conversation plans. He related to our issues, fears, and concerns. A vote for Scott Stringer would be in the best interests of all who live in apartments, pay rent, and desire an individual who has their backs against the rich, powerful and ruthless

Jul. 09 2013 08:14 PM
JR from Manhattan

P.S.: Adding to my earlier comment--
My boyfriend told Scott Stringer, after he gave us his unsatisfactory answer to the direct question as to why he had voted for the NYU 2030 Expansion Plan, that he would not vote for him as a consequence. Mr. Stringer was a little put out by this and said the unthinkable (for a politician): "I don't need your vote."
That was his final response.

Jul. 09 2013 11:45 AM
JR from Manhattan

At a local street fair in Chelsea last September, Scott Stringer came bowling along, with handler/s, glandhanding his way through the crowd. The City Council knuckle-under to the NYU 2030 Expansion Plan had just come to a vote. All but one of them (Charles Barron was the only No vote) caved in to NYU's sickening arrogance and greed and voted yes to a 20-year demolition and construction period for the Village, takebacks of parkland, dealbreaking by NYU abetted by teh Council, etc., to build monstrous towers there in a low rise district. I said to Scott Stringer, "How could you do that?" His lame answer: "It's hard [to say no to big players like NYU--this was absolutely his meaning]." He mentioned having fought against the Chelsea Market building expansion: one building, not 20 years' worth. I said, "That's good. But that is one building." I asked him who, if not the City Council, would stand up for citizens against Big Development. He could not answer that. . Apparently, nobody will stand up. But Charles Barron voted no, so obviously, it can be done. Stringer's a player like the rest of them. THey are all shameful and disgraceful. Vote for Sal Albanese for Mayor, anyway, as he does not take developer contributions.

Jul. 09 2013 11:41 AM
Anna from Brooklyn

Scott used to come into the lounge I worked at on the Upper East Side. I cannot say that I thought he was a phenomenal or engaging personality, but he is genuine and loyal person (and a good tipper). I have since kept tabs on his career as the borough president, and praise him for his work regarding putting the CACC in better order (but it still needs a lot of help). I don't know Spitzer, but that he went to prostitutes does bother me immensely, it's hypocrisy, exploitation and just plain bad values. I will vote for Stringer.

Jul. 09 2013 10:48 AM
Anon

What is Stringer's position on fracking?

Jul. 09 2013 10:41 AM
Michael D. D. White from Brooklyn Heights

Where is Mr. Stringer with regard to protecting the NYC public against the real estate industry vs. Spitzer?

John Liu has come out against the sale and shrinkage of the New York City libraries as a way to create real estate deals? See his video on the subject.

Stringer? Spitzer?

Spitzer was behind Atlantic Yards to a large extent when he was governor and comes from a real estate family.

Jul. 09 2013 10:39 AM
Moji from Brooklyn, NY

I was not a fan of Spitzer entering the race but as I listen to Stringer I find him responding too much like a politician. I wish he would just answer the questions put to him.

At Spitzer answered direct questions.

Jul. 09 2013 10:39 AM
Steve Elliot from Upper West Side

As someone who has known Scott through our tenants association when he worked in Albany I know him as someone who really cares for tenants rights and was a big help in our efforts to maintain affordable apartments during the conversion from the Mitchell Lama program. A rare breed, I am only sorry he isn't running for mayor.

Jul. 09 2013 10:36 AM
Joe from nearby

"The Office of Comptroller of New York City is the chief fiscal officer and chief auditing officer of the city. The comptroller is elected, citywide, to a four-year term and can hold office for three consecutive terms. ...
The comptroller is responsible for auditing the performance and finances of city agencies, making recommendations regarding proposed contracts, issuing reports on the state of the city economy, marketing and selling municipal bonds, managing city debt, and serving as managing trustee of the public employees pensions funds. As managing trustee, the comptroller presides over the boards of the funds, along with managing assets. Overall fund governance is with boards of the individual funds."

Jul. 09 2013 10:08 AM