Andre Gregory and Wallace Shawn on "The Designated Mourner"

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Andre Gregory and Wallace Shawn describe collaborating on “The Designated Mourner,” written by and starring Wallace Shawn, directed by Andre Gregory. It's the first New York revival of the acclaimed 1996 masterwork, and it’s part of runs through August 25 at the Public Theater.

André Gregory and Wallace Shawn

antonio from baySide

Martha Plimpton is probably the best guest host Leonard's ever had!

Jul. 09 2013 01:38 PM
Gary from Port Washington NY

I enjoy Wallace Shawn work, so I was surprised at his naivety to refer to Bradley Manning and Edward Snowden's betrayal of their oath to the United States as "courageous." Bradley Manning has an unstable background and Edward Snowden is a narcissistic arrogant egoist. Snowden is a coward, he betrayed our nation and then ran to Hong Hong and now Russia. Brave man and women defending our nation with courage were put to at risk by both the actions of these traitors as well as foreigners aiding us. I wish people would stop defending treason with the brush of courage. They have both done great damage to our nation and both deserve to spend the rest of their life in prison.

Jul. 09 2013 01:29 PM
April Wolff from MANHATTAN

CAPS = BAD EYES. IT DRIVES ME NUTS WHEN NEW YORK INTELLECTUALS SAY NO ONE CARES ABOUT THIS COUNTRY BECOMING FASCIST. I'M FROM N.C., WAS IN THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT ALONG WITH OTHER WHITE SOUTHERNERS. MY MOTHER TRIED TO JOIN THE COMMUNIST PARTY IN THE 30s IN CHAPEL HILL. MANY OF OUR FRIENDS WERE COMMIES. A UTOPIAN DREAM THAT FAILED. THIS WEEKEND GUESTS FROM TENNESSEE VISITED. THEY GREW UP IN EASTERN NC AND WERE AS APPALLED AS YOU ARE BY THE NSA, CIA DRONE WARS, ETC ETC. WHY AREN'T WE HITTING THE STREETS? WHAT I CALL CLICKTIVISM. BITCHING ONLINE INSTEAD OF HAULING ASS TO D.C. TO DEMAND THEY STOP THE WARS, THE INVASIONS OF PRIVACY, THE DRONES, ETC. I'VE BEEN TRYING TO GET THE NY SLIMES TO COVER ANTI AMERICANISM FOR YEARS. THEY WON'T. KATTY KAY WAS ON NBC WITH CHRIS WHAZZIZ NAME. LOVED THE DESIGNATED MOURNER FILM. STILL READ JOHN DONNE. THE INTERNET HAS MADE KIDS STUPIDER, TWO NAVY ENGINEERS TOLD ME AS I ESCORTED THEM TO THE PLANETARIUM ACROSS CENTRAL PARK.

Jul. 09 2013 01:28 PM
sara from nyc

I saw Wallace Shawn play the lead in the production downtown all those years ago and then watched a filmed version with Mike Nichols in the same role. Though I empathized / understood my own potential for complicity, I found Nichols' performance too sympathetic. What did Wally think?

Great hosting!

Jul. 09 2013 01:24 PM

GREAT show -- thanks Leonard for giving us such great guests and segments in your absence!

Jul. 09 2013 01:08 PM
fuva from harlemworld

(Wallace Shawn -- great character actor! And it's not just the lisp...)

Jul. 09 2013 12:10 PM