Private Lives in the Big City

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

East Village apartments (Echiner1/flickr)

Longtime New York Times editor Constance Rosenblum explores the nearly three million homes in the city, from Park Avenue penthouses to Canarsie studios. In Habitats: Private Lives in the Big City, she tells 40 intimate stories about how New Yorkers really live in their brownstones, apartments, mansions, and lofts, and paints a portrait of what it means to make a home in the world’s most varied and powerful city.

What's your favorite thing about your home? Let us know—leave a comment!

Constance Rosenblum,

John from NYC

Nice for Tom Duane that his subsidized apartment affords him the opportunity to keep a summer house.

Oct. 01 2013 02:19 PM
Joanne from Upper East Side, Manhattan

I purchased a walk up, teeny one bedroom for $40K in 1986...to make it work you have to take advantage of the high ceilings, free up floor space.Yes, it's worth substantially more now, but so is everything else! I could never afford the next step up, and for what...another 100 sq. ft. would cost me $300K, no exaggeration here. Better off configuring what you have,get creative, use every corner.

Aug. 27 2013 08:36 PM

Lopate has the best guest hosts!

Jul. 09 2013 12:57 PM
Angus Vail

Come across the river to Jersey City !

Jul. 09 2013 12:41 PM
thatgirl from manhattan

The pity about Penn South is that, like Mitchell Lama and every other bright housing idea New York has ever had, is everyone there pulled up the ladder. The apartments get handed to family members when one passes, the public list is long closed, and the dream of living here as ordinary people (with the income of a teacher or not-for-profit employee) for the whole of our lives fades with each year bankers double down on $50 million penthouses.

Jul. 09 2013 12:35 PM
antonio from baySide

I grew up in a tenement in Hell's Kitchen. I always wonder how it was originally. I mean at one time, there was the 9th avenue el right out the window, and you can clearly see the apartment was sub divided. I mean there was a stone mantle, so that meant fireplace!

Jul. 09 2013 12:22 PM
elizabeth from Greenwood Heights

Please talk about Woody Allen's films and the NYC they portray!

Jul. 09 2013 12:19 PM
Toby Vann

I was featured in the habitat section for an apartment I renovated in the East Village around 2003. I made all of the furniture at 4/5's scale to make the place look bigger.

The last question the interviewer ask me was "now that's it's done, what's next"

I said I wanted a bigger place, I needed to make a ness.

In 2004 my partner and I bought a place in Park Slope and systematically tore it down and rebuilt it evenings and weekends for 6 years. It's a million time the project the East Village project was. Sometimes I wish my 15 minutes would have come for this place.

Jul. 09 2013 12:14 PM
fuva from harlemworld

(Martha Plimpton! Say word. On of my favorite actresses. From 'Goonies', 'Parenthood' to 'Eye of God'. God bless, continued success.)

Jul. 09 2013 11:04 AM