Open Phones: Spitzer Returns to NY Politics

Monday, July 08, 2013

Following our interview with comptroller candidate Eliot Spitzer, we open the phones for your reaction. What do you make of his return to politics? Would you consider voting for him? Call 212-433-9692 or post your comment below.

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Donaldfleck from Nyc

Pensions are full of scandal, need a guy like Spitzer to get them honest. I hereby volunteer for his campaign.

Jul. 09 2013 11:59 AM
Marco Groff university ward from L.A.

So he made a mistake, So give the guy a break he has already paid his dues
To society. So anyways I didn't see the trial on the case but Mr. Spitzer
Is a good defender for equal rights eventhough at this point I don't know
If his hard work against cheating companies is overall good for the country
Cause I have not done the math on the bottom line. Man, why would anyone hold someone to something for the rest of their lives. Who is sicker, I know the unforgiver is a selfish person.
Personaly I forgive Eliot Spitzer,
Did president Clinton not get a Blow Job. Its not about sex its about performance on the job. Clinton turned out to be a great performer in national
Economics as the national economy as he rised the econ. Big deal let's follow all the women around and find out what we can pin them down to.
Well since lately they have been bashing on the male species!

Jul. 08 2013 08:00 PM
BCS from Katonah, NY

In my opinion, it is a matter of ego and disdain for the short attention span of voters. It comes down to integrity. You either have it or you don't. If your wife can't trust you, why should we?

Jul. 08 2013 11:05 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Spitzer kept his private business private.

Weiner put his private business public - on the overused, buzzword SOCIAL MEDIA.

Anthony Weiner is clearly the dumber of the two.

Jul. 08 2013 11:01 AM
Tyrone from Bronx

We act as if the bad choices of politicians we have is all that is possible. The NY machine is broken.

Jul. 08 2013 10:59 AM
RJ from prospect hts

I find it ironic that Spitzer considered resigning his elected office sufficient accountability--he not only wasn't prosecuted under his own laws but unlike those he prosecuted and jailed, he got to live an extremely high-profile and well-paying life. That's the true hypocrisy of Eliot Spitzer. (And I don't care what politicians do in their personal lives as long as it's not illegal.)

Jul. 08 2013 10:58 AM
Joshua from NYC

The hypocrisy issue with Spitzer has less to do with the particular prostitution issue, and more with the narrative of his entire career. If his tenure as AG and governor could be summed up in one phrase, it's "Nobody is above the law." Spitzer's unforgivable sin is not sexual or legal per se; it's acting like he was above the law.

Jul. 08 2013 10:57 AM
J from Upstate NY

Lets be real, spitzer did something to tick someone off and his side chick became public. I'm sure everyone knew of his affair, but once he started to crack down on banks it became a "surprise" and issue...

Jul. 08 2013 10:54 AM
Dottie from Manhattan

I consider Spitzer's "indiscretions" in the range of "normal" human behavior, however reprehensible. I consider Weiner a complete, self-aggrandizing (literally!) perv.

Jul. 08 2013 10:50 AM
hk from manhattan

I like both of these politicians. But I feel that Mr. Spitzer's scandal is harder to get over, mostly because what he did was a legal issue. I feel like Mr. Weiner's was more of a personal failing of his marriage, which never really changed my opinion of him as a politician. Mr. Spitzer broke laws that he cracked down on, which gives the impression that he thinks he is above the law. It is a shame because I think he is a very effective politician and despite the scandal.

Jul. 08 2013 10:50 AM
Robert from NYC

Neither Weiner's nor Spitzer's scandals affect me in the least. I don't even think about them. I think that female democratic voter you spoke to, Brian, needs some help. She ought to seek help to get her through this "horror" she's seems to be dealing with.

Jul. 08 2013 10:48 AM
Dan from Brooklyn, NY

During the October 2006 snow/ice storm in Western NY, while on the campaign trail, Eliot Spitzer helped me (a grad student at Univ. Buffalo and working in Rochester) dig my car out of the snow on I-90 after I had to walk 1 mile in the snow to fill a gas can (most stations were closed). It would have been a good photo op but all he cared about was getting me back on the road so I could make it to work. He seemed genuine and made a genuine mistake. Republicans love a good second-chance. Why can't Dems/Independents? Spitzer's record is what I support. Weiner I wouldn't b/c I don't think he has a redeemable record.

Jul. 08 2013 10:27 AM