Open Phones: Women Voters and the Mayoral Race

Wednesday, July 03, 2013

As a woman voter, is your vote Christine Quinn's to lose?  How much value do you place on having a woman in charge at City Hall versus other factors when deciding which candidate to support?  Call us at 212-433-9692, 212-433-WNYC, or comment here.

sp from nyc

civicmedia:
You say "I don't withhold my consideration or support from someone because I emphatically disagree with them." Therein lies the crux of our disagreement: I vote for those who espouse principles I believe in, which Quinn emphatically does not.

Jul. 03 2013 04:16 PM
sp from nyc

civicmedia:

Jul. 03 2013 04:16 PM

Some people seem to conveniently forget that there was an election after the laws were changed and Bloomberg won. In fact, historically 3 times. Apparently she "kowtowed" to what the majority wanted. Who knew. Just like she "kowtowed" for a vote on sick pay. I sense Chris knows things we don't - like it or not. 9/11 and money has made New Yorkers do some really stupid things. The term limit fiasco was along those lines. To think a politician may not be so rigid - and can be influenced? Welcome to the human condition.

Could it be that power corrupts? Nah, term limits are just plain stupid. Are there term limits for lovers? Parents? Teachers? Doctors? Musicians? What a specious argument. Term limits conflict with the democratic will of the people. It was a senseless stupid law - overturning stupidity created by government is what government does best (DOMA)

To hold this against her is to be myopic and naive. But that's what "faux-feminists" and "faux-liberals" do.

So, despite my anger with Christine Quinn's position on term limits, sick pay and on "cozying" up to the real estate industry - I would hardly call it an "abuse" of power - this does not prevent me from wanting her anointed to a position no woman has ever held. We all know Koch was gay - so she wont be the first. I support Hillary Clinton in 2016 - despite the fact she is a Clinton and moderate. It's time for vaginas to rule - for better or worse. Obama turned out to be fickle and conventional - but we are better off for his tenure in so many ways...

I always defend ole "loud-mouthed" Christine because:

1) I've been around. I can smell sexist double standards a mile away.
2) I don't withhold my consideration or support from someone because I emphatically disagree with them. Unless they go to war in Iraq.
3) I find her sexy. (I didn't just write that, did I?)
4) New York is home to the biggest mobster industry in America - the financial sector. Second only to the real-estate industry. If you don't "kowtow" to who owns New York, you wont get elected.

"Most" people who hold beliefs and opinions, although well meaning, show no sense for governing, conducting a major orchestra or managing a transit system to name a few. Christine Quinn has what it takes to govern 8 million people - and move us on from decades of privileged white male rule. And when we stop looking for the messiah in our leaders - then maybe we can get something done around here.

I bet Chris learned a lot from Gloria Steinem and sick leave. I'd take her any day over the rest. Lastly, this "obsession" with Bill De Blasio. Ever go to the Public Advocate website? (Probably not.) Or the City Comptroller website?

Both of them are advertisement websites - not offices of government. Anyone who blasts their name all over a website - or highlight their names over the office they hold - can be bought.

I'll bite my tongue on Weinie.

Chris - good for women. Good for gays. Good for blacks. Good for New York.

Jul. 03 2013 02:44 PM
Erianthe from Brooklyn

Just want to say that as a 15 year listener that this was the best Brian Lehrer show ever. I love the new trend towards listener opinions and I want to compliment Brian and crew on his ability to navigate a constantely shifting terrain in a respectful manner. I got a chance to understand why Egyptians would take an un- democratic move and why Weiner might be a serious candidate. On that note, I also am reconsidering Quinn. She may have a record that I dont like, especially on real estate, but she has a record. I honestly dont know if Weiner would have voted differently if he was in her position. I want the next Mayor to think more about the middle class in NYC. The question is who can do that while still wielding the power(which means being subject to the powerful) of a NYC Mayor.

Jul. 03 2013 12:37 PM
sp from nyc

civicmedia:
Actually, I did not dismiss her relevance. She has power and has abused it: this makes her dangerous, not irrelevant. I refuse to "bend" what I believe ot align with someone whose positios I abhor because we share a gender (and not much else).

Jul. 03 2013 12:10 PM
sp from nyc

civicmedia:

Jul. 03 2013 12:10 PM

51% of the population deserves 51% of the representation. Good or bad. Yes, chromosomes matter. And yes, demographically, culture and race matter. Until we end sexism and racial discrimination - yes it all matters.

Many women are "faux-feminists". That's what centuries of patriarchy will do to you. Of course, a lot of women are vulnerable to poor reasoning just as white males are. I'll give you that. I'm sure Michelle Bachmann doesn't want Christine Quinn to become mayor either. Strange bedfellows you folks make but what do they say about the far right and far left?

Joe Kennedy was a horrible capitalist but reigned in some of nasty capitalism.
And Teddy Roosevelt? And the new SEC chairwoman?

Why not work to bend her in the right direction instead of dismiss her relevance?

Shameful.

Jul. 03 2013 12:02 PM
sp from nyc

Civicmedia:
What, precisely,would make Christine Quinn "my own"? Two X chromosomes? Frankly, I prefer to vote on issues and character, not immutable genomes.

Jul. 03 2013 11:52 AM
sp from nyc

Civicmedia:

Jul. 03 2013 11:52 AM
OliviaGellis from Park slope, BK

I will NOT be voting for Christine Quinn. I am a (very) liberal woman in support of both woman's rights and gay rights.... That bein said, I strongly dislike Quinn.
She is an abomination when it comes to Animal rights. She scored a zero on the animal welfare
Scorecard. She is PRO horse drawn carriages, foie gras, etc... She is basically against every single animal protection law.
Disgusting. I think that says a lot about a person.
She is a bully and I am praying she doesn't win anything.

Jul. 03 2013 11:48 AM

The NYU debacle is my dealbreaker on Quinn.

She kowtowed to NYU in one of the most massive, takeovers in history.

Robert Moses, eat your heart out.

Totally tone- and ethics-deaf.

Jul. 03 2013 11:48 AM

I've got to stop reacting to this. I need to put the "pen" down but I'm furious at the naivete of New York female so called "liberals".

"She played footsie with real estate".

Wow. She kowtowed to a horribly powerful entity that has a stranglehold on New York. And Bloomberg didn't? And Guiliani didn't? And Dinkins didn't? And Koch didn't?

No wonder women never reach higher office. They "dig in" and eat their own.

When women start behaving like white males - I think it's time to give up on them.

Jul. 03 2013 11:47 AM

Let he who is without sin cast the first WMD.

I'm laughing hysterically to hear women turning against their own.

How to be a bad parent and raise poor children

"I'm mad as hell at you, I don't trust you at all, I'm withholding my love for you..."

Two of the most establishment law figures in America rose to the occasion to strike down DOMA. Is everyone blind to how politics work in America?

Go ahead - eat your own.

Jul. 03 2013 11:42 AM
Barbara Noble from UWS

I think I expended all my political girl energy on Hillary in 2008. I don't care about Chris Quinn being the first female mayor. Been there, done that with Carol Bellamy. As a New Yorker (and a woman), I find it GROSS that a man who sexted his junk to a young woman is in serious contention for the office of NYC mayor. He is reckless, feckless and an insult to women. Additionally, he doesn't have a clue about local issues and doesn't have an organization that would support constituents after the election. I want a Democrat, don't care whom; not Wiener.

Jul. 03 2013 11:39 AM

All of this rage about a Bloomberg third term. When the left eats their own you end up with...Guiliani. New York has a nasty conservative streak and turning on Christine Quinn is just so predictable. De Blasio will be eaten alive. Quinn can turn left just as easily as she can cave.

Democrats are so naive.

C'mon people. Don't blow this.

"All politicians are corrupt"? As opposed to the general populace?

So naive...so naive...

Jul. 03 2013 11:38 AM
The Truth from Becky.

"all politicians are corrupt" not sure I agree with that statement...to broad.

Jul. 03 2013 11:38 AM
Penny from Downtown

I think a lot of us wish Brian would run for mayor.

Jul. 03 2013 11:38 AM
fuva from harlemworld

And let's remember that Weiner gets matching funds by running. It's not just egomania.

Jul. 03 2013 11:37 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Making history with Quinn is a very attractive prospect.
But the Bloomberg deference is just too much to take.
(And the voice is very shrill.)

Weiner, no way. How can you "take hime at his word" when he boldfaced lied to constituents, after being so reckless.

Jul. 03 2013 11:36 AM

How was democracy subverted if there was an election?

Jul. 03 2013 11:35 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

I am a female democrat.

I won't vote for Weiner because his weiner is still too fresh in our minds. This is a politician who made a serious error in judgment and I simply can't trust him not to do that when he's in office.

I won't vote for Quinn because she has a BIG mouth. She is uncouth and I can't stand that she shoves her sexual orientation in our faces - which is something heterosexuals simply don't do. As the caller is saying now, she had a hell of a nerve overriding TWO (2) referenda making the mayor two terms so he could illegally run again.

I like Bill Thompson. I voted for him last time and I'll do it again.

Jul. 03 2013 11:34 AM

Christine Quinn is the heir apparent. It's time for her to "reign".

Except that she's ticked off the left. She needs to come clean, openly and in detail about her many slides so she can win over the left. Only in New York does someone have to tack to the left to capture a plurality. Who knew.

Of course the wealthy play a role in our city - that will never change. And Quinn has always known that. But perhaps it's time for someone other than a white male, that naturally kowtows to wealth, to do something about gainful employment, housing, and the arts.

Listening to the caller - it is fun to watch the left eat their own. Taking her to task is one thing, but sitting out an election is...shameful.

Jul. 03 2013 11:34 AM
Ellen from Williamsburg

It would be so wonderful to have a woman (and a lesbian) be mayor of NYC. But not Quinn.

Here are my objections:
#1 - she voted to overturn term limits against the wishing of the voting public, allowing Bloomberg his third term.

#2. She has prioritized development schemes in the city over the wishes of the existing residents and ignored community input.

#3. She was involved with the closing of St. Vincent's Hospital, which has left the entire lower west side of Manhattan without a hospital.

I am female. I want more representation, the old boys club has got to go. But her gender alone is not enough, not when we have a record like hers on some very serious issues.

Jul. 03 2013 11:33 AM
Laurie from Queens

I really liked her, until I feel she wimped out on allowing Bloomberg to run again. I didn't like the term limits bill but this slipping around it was illegitimate. I also feel she has not stood up in a meaningful way about public education - no more charter and co-location, build new schools.

Jul. 03 2013 11:33 AM
Mary from Clinton Hill

Michele Bachman and Sarah Palin are women. We're not post-racial and we're not post-war-on-women, but I am a woman who'd vote on the issues aside from merely the gender of the candidate. Bill De Blasio is much more compelling to me than Quinn and certainly more than the ineffective in his previous office Weiner.

Jul. 03 2013 11:33 AM
Caitlin

Sure, I would love to have a Lady Mayor and an openly LGBTQ Mayor. But even more than that, I'd love to have a mayor who isn't "Bloomberg II" and completely in the pocket of big developers, which is why I won't be voting for Quinn.

Jul. 03 2013 11:32 AM
Nora from NYC

I'm in your demographic (registered Democrat in NYC, and female) and would NEVER vote for Quinn solely because of her actions enabling Bloomberg to circumvent term limits.

I am not a fan of term limits, but since that is the law enacted as the will of the voters, it was wrong for Quinn to act to defeat it.

So far it seems to me that Bill DeBlasio is the best candidate. He's progressive and passionate about it. That's the kind of person I want leading my city.

Jul. 03 2013 11:30 AM
antonio from baySIde

Doesn't this assume women in New York City are monolithic in their patterns?
I imagine only myopic or the uminformed types are going for Quinn. Or maybe if you work for Corcoran....

Jul. 03 2013 11:30 AM
tom from bklyn

re: egypt

i am a radio reporter in NY and i was covering the morsi speech live last night - cutting sound bites - it seems to me morsi is asking the country to stick with the constitution - and as he said over and over - ''the legitimatacy'' - that it offers. simply put: he's said he has made mistakes - his power grab after being elected - but he's the elected president...

reminds me of the old saying:

democracy ain't pretty sometimes... but it's better than the alternative. egypt needs some time to work on this. even the islamic brotherhood deserves a chance... i guess.

Jul. 03 2013 11:20 AM