Zimmerman Trial Update

Wednesday, July 03, 2013

George Zimmerman, center, at a bond hearing. (Photo by Gary Green/The Orlando Sentinel-Pool/Getty Images)

Patricia Williams, Columbia University Law School professor and columnist for The Nation magazine, shares her observations of the Zimmerman trial, underway in Florida, over the shooting death of Trayvon Martin.

Professor Patricia Williams

suzan cumberland from south carolina

David, i think it would be a great idea for anyone not to mess with me lol, gun or not I'm going to fight until i have nothing left if i have to. I'm only 5'3 but i have taken tae bo for years, i run, and i have a license to carry, however i do not stay "strapped" 24/7. I've been through more than my share of abuse and I'm in take no prisoners mode however, i get sick of hearing these cases where people lose fights and either go back and shoot the other person our pull a gun because they are getting an a** whooping. With an adrenalin rush zimmerman could have kicked butt but he saw an opportunity to use his gun so he took it. I don't buy it that he had no clue he killed that young guy, i also do not believe he cared, In his mind at that moment he won, he killed the bad guy. He deserves a pat on the back for saving the neighborhood. we have been given a one sided story to a pretty big ordeal, everything is working in his favor. We all have a past trayvon is not excluded from that or excused however, he does not have a chance to redeem himself. I'm all for defending yourself but there are too many things about this case that do not sit right with me at all. By the way, i believe OJ is guilty of murder he didn't get away look at him !now

Jul. 04 2013 06:54 PM
DaveB from Texas

Suzan. I forgot. In the very, extremely remote possibility that our paths should ever cross ... I pray ... it is me walking down the street In front of you, not behind you. I don't think I want to be at the wrong end of one of your punches.

Jul. 04 2013 05:59 AM
DaveB from Texas

Suzan. You are 1,2,3,4,5 up on me with your education and studies. If someone were following me home and i was scared and wanted to avoid confrontation i would have #1 got off the phone with my friend and called 911 or my dad #2 after making that turn at the "t" i would have ran that 100 yds to the residence, lock the door and call 911. I wouldn't wait around to see if my follower had a knife or a gun. You (we) have a lot of information to profile and judge Zman with but Martins personal life has been kept out of the media, school records sealed (suspended 3 times we know) with exception of what the defense released through the discovery process. Otherwise what we know is what the media has given posting pics of Martin at age 12 next to sinister looking pics of Zman. You can profile Zman in the way you do based on your studies and perhaps experience but you haven't studied or met Zman. To me, not much different than Zman, not knowing Martin, profiled Martin as a possible robber based possibly on his criminal studies and the 14 robberies in his neighborhood (see Mr Bad NYC blog "neighborhood in fear". Please - take no offense - I am not even remotely trying to lump you and Zman in the same mold. I have heard advocates from both sides say ... this trial is about whether Zman was wrong to follow or Martin was wrong if he confronted Zman. I think Zman's criminal law teacher cleared it up today. He said Fl law provides immunity not just to people who use lethal force to stop an attack but also to people who start confrontations, then find themselves overwhelmed by a violent response and fear of death or "grievous bodily harm." Some have forgotten that prosecutions witness testified that he witnessed Zman on the bottom, did not see punches but did see Martins arms flailing in a downward motion and testified that the screams were comming from the person on the bottom which he identified as Zman by his jacket. Police testified Zmans back was wet with grass blades. Not so funny. Martins pants were not sent to the lab to be analyzed. Could there be grass stains on the knees? As far as whether one fears their life is in danger or they have sustained life threatening damage that is up to the individual. Even if Zman hit his head on the concrete one time that could be enough to sustain life threatening or life changing results. As far as Zman ability to function after the event - no surprise - football players play with concusions and boxers go out to dinner, even party, after being knocked out. I 100% agree, Zman should have stayed in the truck but so far none of the witnesses have testified that by exiting his car he broke a law. And for all the reasons I mentioned in these blogs I think Martin shares some of the blame. Having wrote all this ... again ... Zman will be convicted.

Jul. 04 2013 05:45 AM
suzan cumberland from south carolina

Correction David, had zimmerman stayed in his vehicle, trayvon was clearly coming from the store having just bought skittles and iced tea, #fact. What it boils down to is both seemed to feel threatened one lost the fight for his life, the other is sitting in court laughing, doing interviews, soaking this all up because for once he feels important, people actually notice he's alive. No matter the expense, he now feels that he matters. I dont care if trsybon was purple, blue, green, or orange. To me hearing that man talk sounds like he was taking a short cut through the houses, he was almost home until citizens on patrol showed up. Im currently a criminal justice major and yes i am WHITE, i understand that a life did not have to be taken that day had zimmerman followed simple directions, he could have kept an eye on him from the car. Clearly trayvon knew he was being followed which is why he took the actions he did. If im ealkjng home and notice someone folowing me in the rain, in the dark oh you better believe im throwing punches and asking questions after i get you into a position that i no longer feel threatened and to ask you why are you following me? Zimmerman had options he chose to kill. From my observation (psychology minor) he seems to display characteristics of a very weak, sneaky individual from his body language to his verbal communication especially the tone of his voice, sickening.

Jul. 04 2013 04:30 AM
DavidB from Texas

Susan Cumberland. You make many good points but I take issue with your insinuation of racism - though you did say "some of you". When you minimize the cuts as scratches and only a broken nose I don't think you know what you are talking about. To be in a fight and realize you have blood running down your face is enough to cause panic in you because you don't know where it is coming from and don't know how bad it is. To get a broken nose and all of a sudden not able to breath through your nose, bleeding out your nose or down your throat , and trying to breath through your mouth is enough to cause panic. Martin was 5'11/160 lbs, Zman was 5'7"/175 lbs. Martin had height/reach advantage, faster and played linebacker so I know he was taking on linemen who outweighed him probably by 50 lbs so I know he could handle Zmans 15 lb weight advantage. If your in a confrontation and the other guy is in a different zone than you are, if he is more frustrated, madder and releasing that on you, you have a big, big problem. I grew up in Newark NJ and unfortunately was in my unfair share of fights & bar room brawls,. One night minding my own biz in a bar a fight broke out. All I remember is a beer bottle smashed on my head, knocked to the floor, some jerk on top of me beating me, blood running down the sude of my face, on my back trying to cover my face and I vividly remember panic and thinking, I am going to die on the floor of Lilly Marlenes tonight. When I got home I found that I had a small cut on my scalp and a lump but at the moment in time, I felt pain and saw was blood and I thought I was going to die. So ... It doesn't matter how small the cut or bruise is ... what matters is the situation and it all takes place in a few minutes and decisions are made in milliseconds. So even though Zman should have stayed in his car I believe Martin started the physical confrontation that lead to death and if Martin had gone home instead of hiding in the dark there would not have been a confrontation and he would be alive. Zman will be convicted.

Jul. 04 2013 01:18 AM
suzan cumberland from south carolina

Some of you are only defending this man for one reason and i feel sorry for you because if or when this happens to someone in your family you all will be singing a different tune. Had this been your brother, soon, Uncle, father, etc. None of you would be screaming self defense, you all would be wondering why a crazy man took your loved one's life over speculation, a punch in the nose , and 2 scratches on the head. Leave this man out in the world he'll kill again because he's a punk and clearly can't fight like a man, with his fists, he also lacks the ability to listen which will also continue to cost him as he lives on. Either way zimmerman's quality of life will suffer, clearly he has already declined gaining over 100 pounds he's reaping and doesn't even realize it. there is no reason to celebrate the 4yh of July as this country is nowhere near deserving of a celebration, especially if we are entertaining the thought of allowing this man to run free. He'll never be a police officer, or anything related to the law, that night he killed trayvon was as close add he would ever get and he knew it.

Jul. 03 2013 08:07 PM
DaveB from Texas

When should someone fear for their life? Should there be a law that says how injured you have to be first or how many blows to the head are allowable before you can lawfully fear for your life or a law that tells us the threshold of pain we should absorb before we fear for or life or serious injury? Perhaps we should ask Liam Neeson's fiancée. Opps, I apologize, we can't, she passed away two hours after taking a blow to the head while skiing. When your in a fight like that there is no Dr.or Ref in your corner ready to throw in the towel or examine injury to determine if you are OK to continue. This is a millisecond decision. Your attacker is in controll, you are on your back, he is sitting on top of you. You have a broken nose, your head has made contact with concrete at least once and it hurts. You either let the dude continue to beat the crap out of you or you do what you have to do to save your life or to prevent further damage. If one has not lived that experience, how do you judge? All female jurors, bet not one has been punched in the nose or been in a physical tussle. Zman will be convicted.

Jul. 03 2013 07:41 PM
DaveB from Texas

Who was stalking who? If I was a stalking someone, profiling or had an itchy finger and was a cop wannabe the last thing I would do is have the cops on the phone telling them where they could find me. By the way ... I am none of those - I don't own a gun. I agree with many ... if Zman had stayed in his car Martin would be alive but I have a few points. (1) Martins friend testified that Martin was scared, she told him to either run home or go home, she said he replied I am there or almost there. Using tel records for time stamp, when Martin said i am home or near home Martin was still an estimated 100 yds from home near the "T" area. (2) Per Zmans testimony by 911 operator ph call he says "I lost him". (3) It was raining, Martin was scared, Zman had lost him. Why didn't Martin just run home?. Or ... was Martin looking for a confrontation with a cracker? We know from dissallowed evidence that Martin was no angel but it is food for thought. No doubt Zman wanted to be a cop. His application was denied by the PA but continued to take positive steps by forming a neighborhood watch, attending law enforcement classes, MMA training, firearm training to put him in position of being accepted. Why would he blow it by profiling, stalking, murdering? Zman will be convicted but I believe Martin engaged Zman and threw the first blow.

Jul. 03 2013 07:14 PM
John Victor from 40219

Please dear DaGod, let these prosecutors be the ones to prosecute me....

if I ever commit a crime

ROFLMAO

Jul. 03 2013 06:36 PM
Mr. Bad from NYC

@ fuva from harlemworld

Well, I think I see more to agree with in this last post. I don't think what Zimmerman did was wrong morally, but I can see why you do. If you want my honest opinion I do think what Zimmerman did was pretty stupid.

But the legal question isn't whether he was "stupid", it is rather if he intended to murder Trayvon (maybe he did but I see no evidence of that)or if not was he so negligent that he is guilty of voluntary manslaughter.

It's a tough call, I don't know enough about Florida case law or jury instructions to say but the possibility is there that he could be convicted of the lesser included offense which would at least be somewhat understandable. Convicting Zimmerman of murder on such flimsy evidence would be a miscarriage of justice and that is far more important than what either Zimmerman's or Trayvon's supporters want this trial to be about.

Jul. 03 2013 05:34 PM
fuva from harlemworld

What Zimmerman did was wrong. He should not have pursued Trayvon, especially without identifying himself.
It's easy to see how his action could have been interpreted as scary and provocative.
It's the AG who chose the charge. And that state's justice system obviously has issues. Perhaps this is some kind of show trial.
Is Zimmerman is not a murderer, he is a man(child)slaughterer
We'll see how Florida law interprets it. They better get it right.

Jul. 03 2013 03:02 PM
Mr. Bad from NYC

@ fuva from harlemworld

I'm not taking Gary's side but you are just making it up as you go along, as is Gary.

All these buzzwords you use like profile, pursue, harass or stalk have no foundation in law or relevance to this case. Nobody really knows what happened that night and nobody can say for sure what was in Zimmerman's mind though the well documented article I've posted (from Reuters) certainly shows the neighborhood was being terrorized, and not by George Zimmerman.

Trayvon Martins death was a tragedy, he didn't have it coming just because he did drugs or may have been occasionally violent, a lot of young men smoke weed and get in fights and turn out fine once they grow up a little. But having said that the facts just don't add up to George Zimmerman being a murderer. It's just one of those sad things that got blown way, way out of proportion by those who can benefit from the internet traffic, newspapers sold and political capital generated, namely the media and professional demagogue's like Sharpton. And I kind of like Sharpton, but he never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Jul. 03 2013 01:56 PM
fuva from harlemworld

Gary, you also don't get that
(1) we DO know what Trayvon was doing, according to Zimmerman, and
(2) it just did not warrant Zimmerman profiling and, without immediately identifying himself, pursuing Trayvon, and
(3) what Trayvon MIGHT have done matters not at all (Zimmerman should have waited for him to be in the act), and
(4) just because other persons might have done the same thing, under the same circumstances, does not make it right.

Jul. 03 2013 01:35 PM
Gary from queens

Fuva,

No one knows what Trayvon was doing or intended to do, other than getting high, and other than casually walking in the rain with no umbrella, taking 4 times longer to get home in a normal pace.

So Zimmerman was right to say that he knew of nothing that Trayvon was doing----AT THE TIME HE WAS ASKED THAT QUESTION----that was wrong or illegal.

All he knew at the time was that he was behaving in the aforementioned way, and that he was the same type of person who have been burglarizing that community----Young, male, and black.

All the residents called the police when they saw suspicious people lurking. It wasnt just Zimmerman

Jul. 03 2013 12:53 PM
fuva from harlemworld

Gary, I don't WHY you can't see that, while creative, everything in these articles is highly speculative and -- most importantly -- irrelevant. But it's sad...

By Zimmerman's own description that night, Trayvon was doing nothing wrong or illegal. SMH

Jul. 03 2013 12:24 PM
GARY from QUEENS

"menacingly pursued"??!!!
"aggressively pursued"??!!!

People, please read Cashill's articles. i posted it for a reason. Trayvon had plenty of time to have returned home. He was several minutes ahead of Zimmerman, who also lost visual track of Trayvon.

It looks like Trayvon had reversed course and confronted Zimmerman. Trayvon had racial animous, according to his friends. He was high on pot, and he trained in martial arts and used it on other people.

READ THE DAMN ARTICLES.

Jul. 03 2013 11:46 AM
Peg

Martin had just as much right to defend himself in place against an antagonist pursuing him.

Jul. 03 2013 11:10 AM
fuva from harlemworld

With all due respect, Joyce, your question is irrelevant.
Trayvon was doing nothing wrong to warrant him being menacingly pursued by Zimmerman.

Jul. 03 2013 10:54 AM
Mr. Bad from NYC

A NEIGHBORHOOD IN FEAR

By the summer of 2011, Twin Lakes was experiencing a rash of burglaries and break-ins. Previously a family-friendly, first-time homeowner community, it was devastated by the recession that hit the Florida housing market, and transient renters began to occupy some of the 263 town houses in the complex. Vandalism and occasional drug activity were reported, and home values plunged. One resident who bought his home in 2006 for $250,000 said it was worth $80,000 today.

At least eight burglaries were reported within Twin Lakes in the 14 months prior to the Trayvon Martin shooting, according to the Sanford Police Department. Yet in a series of interviews, Twin Lakes residents said dozens of reports of attempted break-ins and would-be burglars casing homes had created an atmosphere of growing fear in the neighborhood.

In several of the incidents, witnesses identified the suspects to police as young black men. Twin Lakes is about 50 percent white, with an African-American and Hispanic population of about 20 percent each, roughly similar to the surrounding city of Sanford, according to U.S. Census data.

One morning in July 2011, a black teenager walked up to Zimmerman's front porch and stole a bicycle, neighbors told Reuters. A police report was taken, though the bicycle was not recovered.

But it was the August incursion into the home of Olivia Bertalan that really troubled the neighborhood, particularly Zimmerman. Shellie was home most days, taking online courses towards certification as a registered nurse.

On August 3, Bertalan was at home with her infant son while her husband, Michael, was at work. She watched from a downstairs window, she said, as two black men repeatedly rang her doorbell and then entered through a sliding door at the back of the house. She ran upstairs, locked herself inside the boy's bedroom, and called a police dispatcher, whispering frantically.

"I said, 'What am I supposed to do? I hear them coming up the stairs!'" she told Reuters. Bertalan tried to coo her crying child into silence and armed herself with a pair of rusty scissors.

Police arrived just as the burglars - who had been trying to disconnect the couple's television - fled out a back door. Shellie Zimmerman saw a black male teen running through her backyard and reported it to police.

After police left Bertalan, George Zimmerman arrived at the front door in a shirt and tie, she said. He gave her his contact numbers on an index card and invited her to visit his wife if she ever felt unsafe. He returned later and gave her a stronger lock to bolster the sliding door that had been forced open.

"He was so mellow and calm, very helpful and very, very sweet," she said last week. "We didn't really know George at first, but after the break-in we talked to him on a daily basis. People were freaked out. It wasn't just George calling police ... we were calling police at least once a week."

Jul. 03 2013 10:47 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Few things this trial brings up, that must be addressed:

The nutty use of phrases like "Trayvon Apologist" to describe a teenager who
was aggressively pursued for doing nothing wrong
was, by all accounts, an average imperfect teenager
had no criminal record.

Meanwhile the grown-a** man, who starts a conflict in which he shoots an unarmed teenager,
is the one with the criminal record for domestic abuse and getting aggressive with a cop...

Amongst, many, many other citical sissues, this trial will hopefully have us examine the aggression of profiling.

Jul. 03 2013 10:46 AM
The Truth from Becky

So much animosity towards the deceased victim and extreme support of the murderer who you never even met...what does that say about you?

Jul. 03 2013 10:46 AM
gary from queens

But today, we have a racially explosive environment thanks to Obama, who thinks Martin was killed by a racist, and all the race baiters on down who see every damn encounter when a white person kills or injures a black, as race motivated. Never the reverse.

Zimmerman had a bashed up face and blood on the back of his head, because trayvon was on top of him banging his head on concrete.

Solid evidence why this case was dismissed before the race baiters forced a political trial.

This should never had gone to trial.

And for protecting his community, Zimmerman will be sued for millions by the family and the race baiters.

If there's anyone responsible for martin's death, it's liberals who still plant racial resentment in these kids and turn them into ticking time bombs.

Jul. 03 2013 10:46 AM
Mr. Bad from NYC

"Though civil rights demonstrators have argued Zimmerman should not have prejudged Martin, one black neighbor of the Zimmermans said recent history should be taken into account.

"Let's talk about the elephant in the room. I'm black, OK?" the woman said, declining to be identified because she anticipated backlash due to her race. She leaned in to look a reporter directly in the eyes. "There were black boys robbing houses in this neighborhood," she said. "That's why George was suspicious of Trayvon Martin.""

Jul. 03 2013 10:44 AM
The Truth from Becky

Stalking, observing, monitoring, following....he wasn't supposed to be doing either.SMH

Jul. 03 2013 10:44 AM
sanych

It appears that there is a clear division of opinion on this case along the racial lines.

BTW, Patricia Williams is African-American.

Jul. 03 2013 10:43 AM

I wish Mr. Zimmerman had listened to the 911 operator who suggested that Mr. Zimmerman should not pursue Trayvon. I don't see any redeemimng outcome from this trial.

Jul. 03 2013 10:43 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I just don't see many liberals living in predominantly black neighborhoods, like I do. They should just shut up, or put their ass*s down where their mouths are.

Jul. 03 2013 10:43 AM
gary from queens

Hey Brian, did you EVER have a guest who was unbiased?!

"Not inherently suspect" Patricia. Zimm observed Trayvon casually walking in the rain, taking 4 times more time to get home than was necessary. He saw trayvon looking at the homes, walking behind them. etc.

Jul. 03 2013 10:42 AM
bobby bell from nyc

the bottom line is zimmerman shot and killed a child

Jul. 03 2013 10:41 AM
Mr. Bad from NYC

Brian, this is a trial, not a "conversation". If a murder trial is being used by the media to redress social ills and you think that is OK you should hang up your headphones right now buddy because you've lost the plot.

Also, this guest is manufacturing facts out of whole cloth.

Jul. 03 2013 10:41 AM
Marco from New York

This trial is a farce. Two low-life hot heads get into a fight and one ends up dead. Happens every night in every inner city in America. The left wing media after failing to convince people that mezzo-Hispanic Zimmerman was a white racist are already bracing to rationalize the inevitable riots and violence that will follow Zimmerman's acquittal.

Jul. 03 2013 10:40 AM
The Truth from Becky

Looking for the "race baiting" in my comment A and B he was already on the phone with his friend GARY...

Jul. 03 2013 10:40 AM
Joyce from NYC

Let's have some truth here:

What is the experience of this neighborhood, and of Zimmerman:

HOW MUCH CRIME IS THERE

HOW MUCH OF IT IS COMMITTED BY YOUNG BLACK MEN?????????

Why are we not being told this? What is the political motivation?????

Jul. 03 2013 10:40 AM
sanych

I can't escape thinking that someone wants to have a very hot summer...

Jul. 03 2013 10:38 AM
gary from queens

SALIENT QUESTIONS FOR TRAYVON APOLOGISTS:

The race-baiters say Trayvon was afraid Zimmerman was going to hurt him! Trayzon was bigger, younger and stronger than Zimm.

So if Martin was really concerned for his safety, did he call the police? No. He calls some ditsy girl and says some "crazy ass cracker" is following him.

Does this kid think it's 1950 in Alabama or something?! He must have seen too many liberal movies, like Mississipee Burning.

Zimm was hispanic, and he discontinued his tracking of Martin, only to be accosted by him.

So this kid, who supposedly felt he was in danger, accosts Zimmerman after Zimm turns arround to go back to his car.

OK, so Martin wasnt feeling in danger. But maybe he was curious? If I was curious, I would have asked, "hey fella, who are you and why are you following me"?

That is the civil thing to do. The "white" thing to do. But Trayvon was an angry black kid, by some accounts, resentful of the way blacks are treated, or they way he sees they are treated in incitement movies, TV and news programs and documentaries. hence the "cracker" comment.

So instead of being civil, Trayvon approaches Zimmerman and says, "You got a problem? (Zimm said no.) Well, you do now." Then Zimm says he was assaulted.

It is very likely Martin had closed the distance, making him the aggressor. Why?

Because Zimmerman would NOT HAVE CALLED THE POLICE, IF HIS INTENT WAS TO GET HIMSELF A "BLACK CROOK" THAT NIGHT!!! DUHHH.

That's not what watch patrols do! Rather, they call the police----as Zimm had done-----and they want to make sure they can point to or otherwise identify the suspicious person when police arrive, so they follow the person----as Zimm had done.

Zimmerman had done everything right. Yes, the police told him he could back off his pursuit.

That was not an order they gave Zimmerman, It was a warning. Why do police always say that to good samaritans?

Because they know there are dangerous people out there, and it's safe for the public for the police to tangle with them.

So the cop who gave that advice to Zimmerman was concerned for Zimmerman's safety.

Jul. 03 2013 10:38 AM
fuva from harlemworld

And I've visited that Americanthinker.com site. Very little critical thought there...

Jul. 03 2013 10:36 AM
gary from queens

Becky, the motive is allegedly race. It's part of the charges

Liberals and race baiters like you are going off the rails with uninformed rage.

the most outrageous is that Trayvon was being "stalked" and had to defend himself. Even the usually intelligent Brian Lehrer seemed to be claiming that last time!

First, "stalking" may or may not be illegal, depending on the jurisdiction's laws. It depends on certain conditions, not to mention intent to do harm.

But Zimmerman wasn't "stalking" Martin. He was OBSERVING him. Big difference. Anyone can legally observe anyone. And he was the captain of this gated community's neighborhood watch. If it occurred on another night, it could have been another neighbor volunteer observing involved with Trayvon that night.

the race baiters called Zimm a "self-proclaimed" neighborhood watchman. Wrong. A lie. Many communities have watch patrols. I live in Holliswood. It's not gated.

But one night I parked under a bright lamp in a community center parking lot so i could check something under my hood. Then the Holliswood private security car pulled up to me.

They asked what's going on. I said I was checking something under my hood. I offered to show them my license to prove i live in the area. He waived his hand and said that's alright.

End of incident!! But i was glad to cooperate. these guys are trying to keep the area safe. why would i want to give them a problem?!

So Zimmerman saw martin casually walking in the rain and going behind people's homes. Whatever, he follows Trayvon, after he curiously walks behind peoples homes, to keep eyes on him. That's what he should have done!

Obviously, Zimmermann is a civic minded fellow who wanted to protect his community.

Jul. 03 2013 10:35 AM
fuva from harlemworld

When Zimmerman profiled Trayvon -- who was doing nothing wrong or illegal -- and, without identifying himself, started pursuing, it's possible that this amateur was unaware of how wrong and provocative he nevertheless was being. In this way, the cop's testimony is less relevant.

Jul. 03 2013 10:34 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Hey, isn't it Lawyering 101 to present your witness in the best light? To mitigate any negative impression she might make on the jury by (1) providing exposition and context, and (2) introducing any negative information BEFORE the other side does? I work, so I haven't been watching. Did the prosecutor do this for Rachel by asking her about her immigrant and educational experience, etc.? I know he did not introduce her inability to read English cursive...Folks in the hood are wondering if this is a kind of show trial.

Jul. 03 2013 10:33 AM
The Truth from Becky

It doesn't matter about the background of the victim, the deceased victim - Zimmerman murdered him and NOT in self defense - since we want to jump ahead of the segment.

Jul. 03 2013 10:27 AM
Mr. Bad from NYC

@ gary from queens

You're not helping. Spreading rumors about Trayvon... nothing that you wrote has any bearing on this trial. The speculation is out of control, and who cares if he did drugs, most teens do.

Jul. 03 2013 10:24 AM
gary from queens

Here's additional information on Trayvon's odd behavior observed by Zimmerman that night. It could have been from Trayvon getting high. Cashill explores that evidence in the article below.

Trayvon, in fact, had become a devotee of the druggy concoction known as "Lean," also known in southern hip-hop culture as "Sizzurp" and "Purple Drank." Lean consists of three basic ingredients -- codeine, a soft drink, and candy. If his Facebook postings are to be believed, Trayvon had been using Lean since at least June 2011.
UNQUOTE

FROM

June 7, 2012
What the Media Choose Not to Know about Trayvon
By Jack Cashill

Jul. 03 2013 10:20 AM
Mr. Bad from NYC

I'm going to take a shot at guessing the result of this case, so here goes:

At this point the Prosecution's case for Murder is looking extremely weak, so weak in fact the highly tendentious judge will likely step in to put his finger on the scale and instruct the Jury to take a very expansive view of the "culpable negligence" portion of the Florida Manslaughter statute.

I'm going to guess that The jury will return a "Not Guilty" on Murder but "Guilty" on the Manslaughter charge ( a lesser included offense of the murder charge ) and the entire conviction will, eventually, be reversed on appeal.

This outcome would be politically tolerable by most parties and would resolve the political difficulty of finding Zimmerman acted in self defense.

Jul. 03 2013 10:16 AM
gary from queens

Turns out Trayvon was a very angry and pugilististic teenager, according to even his own peers. And also addicted to weed and drugs. He was high on a pharmaceutical drug concoction that night, which may account for what Zimmerman observed as Trayvon behaving strangely. His autopsy revealed traces of tetrahyrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive agent in marijuana, in his blood and urine.

But that is only the beginning in what we have not been told About Trayvon. It's a sad story, and even sadder when compounded by the race hounding of an innocent man. Get ready for great journalism by best selling author Jack Cashill.

TWO ARTICLES: