Swine Flu Update

Thursday, April 30, 2009

An update on the ongoing outbreak of swine flu around New York and the world from Dr. Ian Lipkin, director of the Center for Infection & Immunity at Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health and Donald G. McNeil, science and health reporter for the The New York Times.

Dr. Ian Lipkin and Donald G. McNeil

perri

Swine flu isn't new. I remember there was an outbreak in the 70's. How come the news hasn't mentioned this?

Also, according the Associated Press, Egypt began slaughtering 300,000+ pigs as a precautionary measure against an outbreak.

Apr. 30 2009 09:06 PM
F. from NYC

To paraphrase a great American, Lloyd Bridges, this was not a good week for my allergies to kick in.

(Oh, and what about all of those Spring Break kids heading back from Cancun, Mexico? I guess by now they've likely infected all, what with the 24 incubation period and all.)

Apr. 30 2009 02:56 PM
B. from NYC

I say the Swine Flu is an uncommon economic indicator. When was that last time this cropped up? The Stagflation Seventies, doncha know?

We have a potential pandemic, the economy is down a rat hole, and the GOP is still selling that decade-old ideology about small government. I say cut them off at the groin, and thus would government be smaller.

Apr. 30 2009 02:51 PM
RCT from NYC

A friend of mine who visited Aruba in March, staying at the Marriott, contracted this flu. Everyone in the hotel was sick, an indication that people had low immunities. The symptoms were identical to those of this flu and she is sure that she had the flu.

Apr. 30 2009 11:34 AM
ty

agree w paulo.

would expect the same move in any muslim-run country with a christian minority, though i can't think of any other examples of such a case offhand. Maybe in Africa.

Apr. 30 2009 11:28 AM
eeeew

Are pigs the other white meat like fish/chicken or near-poisonous like cows?

The times story yesterday about cow meat doubling your odds for heart disease and cancer didn't say.

Apr. 30 2009 11:25 AM
Paulo from Paterson, NJ

I think Egypt's actions is to persecute the Coptic Christians (who are the only people that raise pigs in Egypt) rather than an irrational belief that the country's pigs might be infected. It's an excuse.

Apr. 30 2009 11:20 AM
Anon

I'm traveling to Cancun in less than two weeks. Should I cancel the trip?

Apr. 30 2009 11:18 AM
John Lobell from Manhattan

Wow -- interesting how many public health officials do not want to use classic measures to prevent the spread of the disease. They are saying -- "Get the disease and we will treat it."

Apr. 30 2009 11:17 AM
Katie Kennedy from Huntington, NY

Poor Joe Biden. He makes a personal comment, states it is a personal comment and the news media makes a big deal out of--claims he's causing a panic. I think we've had some overkill with the coverage on this thing, but Biden's comments make sense. As luck would have it, I have to take a flight next week, long planned, to Charleston. I'm going, but I'm seriously thinking of wearing a mask on the plane. I'm susceptible to bronchial infections in ordinary times, so I'd rather look foolish on a plane than spending my stay in a hospital.
Katie

Apr. 30 2009 11:16 AM
adsf

doesn't spread via casual contact according to cdc.

Apr. 30 2009 11:15 AM
Jane from Morristown

Re Joe Biden's gaffe, he said exactly what I did to my own daughter. She lives in Washington D.C. and I suggested that if the flu shows up there she stay away from the metro. I understand it isn't good news for the Metro (or the subway) and I sympathize, but can you think of a better place than a subway car or platform to sample a wide variety of germs?

Apr. 30 2009 11:12 AM
stimuluspackage

Oh well, there goes my latest dot com business idea:

JoeBidensSubwaySneezesInABottle.com

Ya know? Scratch that. I think I still may be able to get Bank of America to fund it. Wish me luck.

Apr. 30 2009 11:11 AM
smidely

My Swiney Toe has now jumped ...to my couch! (Anyone konw where I can buy some Tamicouch!?)

Apr. 30 2009 11:09 AM