Your RoboCall is About to Expire

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Steven Zipperstein, vice president and general counsel of Verizon Wireless, talks about their efforts to end the calls. Takeaway producer Jim Colgan, started the blog "the factory warranty on your vehicle is about to expire" to track the calls.

Jim Colgan and Steven Zipperstein

Michael Trujillo from Albuquerque

Learn what State Farm and Allstate agents are doing to generate a new income stream for their agencies. And which until now, you haven’t had access to.

go to http://sellinjurycoverage.insurancesolutionsjust4u.com and watch this short video...

Oct. 12 2010 08:25 AM
duane from Albuquerque

The FTC has seized the assets of the companies doing this robocall scam for the car warranties and now the calls are coming for health insurance. The best thing to do is file a complaint to the FTC online. The phone numbers on the caller ID are spoofed and if you look them up they're for someone's home phone that didn't have anything to do with the call. I have a lot of fun having the person explain over and over again about what the policy covers and etc and could they send me a brochure and hold on just bit, the dog tipped over the trash and I'l be right back, etc. They usually give up after a while but I had one on the phone once for over 7 minutes while I "stepped out to the garage" to get the VIN before she finally hung up. What fun! Or as us dyslexics say, "What nuf!"

Jun. 02 2009 06:20 PM
Kate from Central Jersey

So now, 3.5 hours later, I get another opportunity to extend the warranty on my vehicle. The robocall wording was slightly different. Again, I pushed 1 and got Nelson, who also sounded very cheerful. He said he was calling from a company called "Warranty Renewal Services" in Florida. Then he said, "So you are interested in extending the warranty on your vehicle?" I said, "Actually, I'm mostly interested in getting to know you a little better, because you are calling me so very often."

CLICK

Less funny.

Apr. 30 2009 02:48 PM
Kate from Central Jersey

I've been getting these calls several times a week, so today -- within 24 hours of your show -- I decided to follow your guest's advice. I pressed 1 and got connected to a very helpful sounding young man right away.

He asked for the make and model of my car, but I said that first I wished to know his name and where he was calling from:

"It's Chris," he said. "And I'm calling from Warranty Service Center Nationwide. -- No, wait, it's Nationwide Warranty Service Center."

Then I heard an urgent yell from a guy who must have been across the room at the call center:

"NO, CHAD, NO!!!"

And the phone went dead . . .

Funny

Apr. 30 2009 11:38 AM
Anonymous

Dear Brian,

Please help address this problem further! I get these calls on my landline all the time despite being on the Do-Not-Call List. It is very difficult, as your guest stated, to get the telephone number of the company calling in order to make a formal complaint.

Apr. 29 2009 06:25 PM
Bronson Binger from 164 Hicks St., Brooklyn, NY

I actually bought into one of these wananties, and after a few weeks received a warranty with my name misspelled and called. They sent me a new on a month later,by which time I realized that this was a scam. I called to cance and was told I was past the 30-day limit. Rather than go through a lenghthy procedure therir represebtatve proposed, I woteI wrote a certified letter to them demanding repayment and outlining several ways in which the transaction was a fraud, with copies to the Attorney General of NY and the District Attorney in St. Louis. A credit for the full amount showed up on my credit card.

Apr. 29 2009 01:13 PM
Chris from New York

I just filed a compliant with the FCC. Thanks for posting the link.

I also pressed "1" to talk with a sales rep. from this "warranty company" back in November 08 and was connected to a "sales rep". Unfortunately, she would not give her name, did not know the name of the company she was calling from, had no idea where the company was located, said there was no website for the company, had no brochures or literature to send me (not that I would have given my address anyway, I just wanted to see if they had written material), etc. When I asked to be removed from the call list she hung up. I still get these calls.

I feel bad for the foolish who actually bought this "warranty". Really those are the people the MAG should be looking for. Find people who actually paid for this warranty, track the money, see who is cashing the checks and/or receiving the credit card payments and presto, the source of/reason for the scam is exposed.

Apr. 29 2009 01:10 PM
Bronson Binger from 164 Hicks St., Brooklyn, NY

Late last year I received one of these calls and, mistakenly thought my Chrysler warranty had in fact expired. I paid a deposit and first month's bill for a new policy and received a warranty a few weeks later, made out to the wrong person. I called and they mailed me a new policy a month later. By then I realized that this was a scam and looked at my original warranty and had more that a year to go. When i called and tried to cancel, they said I was too late, but could submit a certified and notarized milage credit to see if that could help. I

Apr. 29 2009 01:06 PM
Bronson Binger from 164 Hicks St., Brooklyn, NY

I received the first of probably 20 calls back in December of 2008, and, because the warranty on my Chrysler had long since been paid up, I assumed that it was Chrysler calling me and bought an extended warranty, and paid a deposit and the first month bill over the phone by credit card. They sent me a seemingly valid warranty in the mail, but with an erroneous name, so I said they should replace it with a new one before I paid. A month later, having had many calls from these scammers, I finally got the new warranty and immediately called them to tell them that I would not pay this bill, and, in fact, I still had more than a year to go on my existing warranty,

I asked them to please return the money I had already paid. The personm on the line instructed me to get a certified milage reading notarized and send it to them.

Rather than go through this procedure, I instead wrote a letter telling them that they had:

Apr. 29 2009 01:01 PM
David Corwin from Teaneck

I finally answered one of these calls and said I was interested. I then gave them details on a very old car, etc and after looking it up, they politely declined to insure me.

My feeling is that if everyone were to answer these calls when they have no intention of buying the product, these companies' systems will be overloaded and they will be out of business. Hanging up obviously has little effect because that part of the system is automated.

Another tactic with some callers is to respond and to politely point out that you are not interested and that they are wasting their time calling you. Again, this takes up operator time and they really do not want to call numbers that are uninterested. They are in this to make money, irritating people is not their intention even if it is the result.

Apr. 29 2009 12:23 PM
Francis Kulas from New Brunswick, NJ

Funny - on my cell phone I just got a robo call about the car's warrantee about to expire!!!

Apr. 29 2009 12:21 PM
Deb Ruffins from New York

Great program thanks. Interestingly when you google "robo call car warranty" you get paid search ads for how to do it for free! Also you only get about 5500 results but it seems to be a worldwide problem. And one site - Die Robocall Die - offers a google app for blocking them. Don't know if it works (haven't tried it yet) but listeners might find it helpful if it does. https://www.google.com/voice/about.

Apr. 29 2009 12:21 PM
Sally F from Norwalk, CT

Thank You! Thank you! Thank you!
Thank you for covering this really annoying subject. I've been receiving calls for over a year. I have received calls at home and on my cell for both the auto warranty (I even called my dealership to confirm that it's a scam) and claiming that my credit card interest rate is about to increase. I, too, have been hung up on, and I have even been yelled at by the "customer service representative," when asking what the name of the company is. I filed a complaint with Connecticut's Department of Consumer Protection. I received a form letter in return stating that nothing can be done unless more consumers complain, and that I need to enroll in the Do Not Call List (I'm already registered). So, thank you for getting the word out and bravo to Verizon Wireless!

Apr. 29 2009 12:10 PM
David SL from Brooklyn

I am over joyed that this has hit the media! I chronicled my experiences with these robocallers including the various strategies I've used to try to get to the bottom of them at my blog.

Apr. 29 2009 12:05 PM
Carley from UWS

My landline was the guinea pig for the FTC's Do Not Call list, which for the most part is very effective, but I still get the auto warranty calls (and I have never owned a car!) as well as credit card calls.

Whenever I have tried to get a name or number to return a call ("I'm interested, but you caught me at a very inconvenient moment"), the caller hangs up.

I once tried *69 to trace the call, and the number they gave was (area code) 555-1212 -- Directory Assistance! They even fixed the computer to lie about the phone number's origin.

I believe Verizon is sincere in its desire to protect its mobile customers, but I don't know how it is possible to get the info they need.

Apr. 29 2009 12:03 PM
Linda McLean from Brooklyn, New York

I get calls for warranty expired; lower credit card debt and all sorts of debt collectors for wrong people.
I am on do not call list!

Apr. 29 2009 12:02 PM
Linda Hartinian from nyc

Look up on the computer "Who Called" in put the number that called. You can find out a lot.
I put in two complaints to the FCC. I left a message on their phone that I would sue the company that called. They called back and claimed I asked for the information which is a lie.I also filed a complaint to the Texas better business bureau. It's worth the trouble I think. FYI, the calls with the area code 062 are untraceable and off shore. No one can do anything yet about those.

Apr. 29 2009 12:02 PM
db from nyc

While we're at it, how about the almost identical credit card robocalls that continue to come in despite EVERYTHING. I have engaged these people repeatedly and as soon as you ask who, what, where they immediately hang-up. According to my call waiting, the calls usually appear to come from florida.

AGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!

Apr. 29 2009 12:02 PM
Allen from Troy

Perhaps your Verizon person can answer why companies are allowed to send a forged CallerID with the call?

Apr. 29 2009 11:57 AM
sclark

I'm on the National Do Not Call List. I still get these calls. I have a land line and I get these calls all the time.
I've tried to engage them to get a name of the company & I've also tried to get their number. They hang up on me.
I've told them my number is on the National Do Not Call List. Before I can get the entire sentence out, they hang up.
It's home mortgage & auto warranty.

Apr. 29 2009 11:57 AM
Ella from Brooklyn

Thank you for talking about this, I also received a call on my cell, and also pressed 1 to speak to an agent and they hung up on me when I expressed my outrage. It makes you feel so powerless, please please let's punish these awful people!

Apr. 29 2009 11:57 AM
Bill from Brooklyn

Brian--

When these guys call me, I always express interest in the warranty. Then I just jammer on and on about my ridiculous car and ask the guy to repeat everything five times. Just say "what?" over and over again. I just like the idea that it costs these people money.

I read a forum post on another website from someone who used to work for one of these companies and he said it was basically a scam.

Apr. 29 2009 11:57 AM
JP from The Garden State

Oh and ask the Verizon guy about a similar robo call that pushes credit card debt. Again, I was called and I’m on the do not call list…

Apr. 29 2009 11:56 AM
JP from The Garden State

I’m on the do not call list and they still called me!!! So I pressed 1 like the guest did. They then told me they would give me a warranty for my VW that had over 200,000 miles on it!!! They then wanted the VIN number and I told them I did not have it.It has to be a scam...

Apr. 29 2009 11:54 AM
Jill from UWS

When I press one to talk to a representative they hang up on me! Once they answered "how can I help you" and I said "who is this?" and they hung up. I don't get!

Apr. 29 2009 11:53 AM
Michael from Green Wood Heights, Brooklyn

I don't have a car and I'm on the do not call list. I've received these calls and calls about "my" auto insurance!

Apr. 29 2009 11:51 AM
Alaina from Weehawken

I just got a call from an unknown number, and I half expected it to be the car warranty message (it would have been my second this week). Instead, it was a different RoboCall offering me health insurance for $3 a month...

Apr. 29 2009 11:51 AM
Graham from New York

If you hadn't planned to address it, could you please talk about the scam that involves robo dialers and tells the recipient that he/she can get a lower interest rate on their credit cards. (If a person gives their account number, they become victims of identity theft.)
Many people get these calls constantly.

Apr. 29 2009 11:51 AM