Satire Slam! Semis Pt. 2

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Satire Slam continue! Slam judge Faith Salie, actor and comedian who hosted Fair Game for PRI, helps judge as the next four semi-finalists read their satires. Today's Semi-Finalists: Jonathan Zornow, Don Arrup, Quinn Raymond and Jim Sparks. You, the audience, will have the opportunity to vote on your favorites! The final four will read their essays live in front of an audience next Tuesday in the Jerome L. Greene performance space. We'll post the voting page soon after the show and - don't worry - we'll also include the audio and original text for all the semifinalists. The Voting is Open: Select Your Favorites Here!

Don Arrup, Quinn Raymond, Faith Salie, Jim Sparks and Jonathan Zornow

Mara from East Coast

Judg*e*ment doesn't have an "e" anymore? Good grief, what's next? I know! Let's just drop any 'ole "e" whenvr we fel lik it! Yah, GRAT ida. (I Refuse to drop the "e" from judgement; only a very very cruel person - who, btw, didn't pick me to be a finalist - would prefer the e-less version, seems to me).
Anyway, a good group today, but really: Where's the zany factor that really makes satire sing??? It's missing!
The one who showed some much needed zaniness was Quinn Raymond, who will win, I predict. The wrestling costume might *help*, but looks should not matter w/satire.
Faith's touching chagrin and moving sorrow (although it Did sounded just a leeetle faux to my jaded, embittered ears) is a bit late, no? I WAS a woman who entered! I STILL am a woman who entered. Yet, Faith (and Brian) did not pick moi. I shall simply move on, though, because as Oprah has taught us, Every experience is a "this I know" experience.

Apr. 29 2009 02:43 PM
Judith Targove from Highland Park, NJ

Brian,
Please don't call Social Security a Ponzi scheme. Despite its problems, the money that comes into SS goes into government bonds. Unfortunately these days there's not much interest to be earned, but to call SS a Ponzi scheme is to overlook the safety net that it has provided over the years. Also, people who participate are not receiving interest payments yearly, like Madoff's clients. They are building an account that eventually provides an annuity. I'm sure changes could be made to improve the system, but it shouldn't be undermined the way estate taxes have been morphed into "death" taxes.

Apr. 29 2009 11:48 AM
Neill from New York

Faith rocks!

Apr. 29 2009 11:47 AM
anonymous

What's with all the hating on bros? We're people too.

Apr. 29 2009 11:46 AM
gene

THANK YOU Catherine. I too was taken aback by the judgement comment, but hadn't the knowledgeable (and well-spelled) vocabulary to express it as you have.

Apr. 29 2009 11:45 AM
AR from brooklyn

The reader of the Social Security/Madoff bit sounded exactly like Fred Mogel!

Apr. 29 2009 11:45 AM
ceolaf from brooklyn

Brian,

Even if you are right, you're being a grump in criticizing their performances.

If you are requiring writers to perform their own work, you are not going get the best performances.

Your rules. Don't criticize those who follow them.

(And last, high energy is not necessarily a better performance. Job Creationism was a better performance, in my view, than This I Believe, even if the energy was not as high.)

Apr. 29 2009 11:44 AM
hjs from 11211

but really, is NYC in a recession?

Apr. 29 2009 11:42 AM
gene

I LIKED that the performances so far were not all professional.

Both were adequately--and charmingly--recited.

I also liked both pieces--nicely chosen, as the 300-entry list is very tedious to get through.

Apr. 29 2009 11:36 AM
Catherine from Rockville Centre

Judgement should always be spelled (or do you prefer "spelt"?) with an "e"!!!! It was bad judgement, whoever first eliminated the "e" oh so many centuries ago? How does the "g" get soft without the "e" there? I know the hide-bound prefer the "e"-less "judgment," but their judgement is clouded by an ill-conceived obedience to tradition. I re-set my spell check to accept "judgement."

So there.