SCOTUS: Good for Business

Thursday, June 27, 2013

The affirmative action and gay marriage rulings got most of the headlines, but several of this year's smaller Supreme Court rulings had a decidedly pro-business bent. New York Times Supreme Court reporter Adam Liptak discusses how the Chamber of Commerce pulled off a "clean sweep", and why the Roberts court is so friendly to corporate America.

This Term's Four Pro-Business Rulings

• Mutual Pharmaceutical Co. v. Bartlett
  • Federal law related to pharmaceuticals preempts a plaintiff's right to sue the drug company under state law. The plaintiff, Karen Bartlett, had suffered severe injuries after she took a generic pain drug.

Adam Liptak

In a reply to an email I had sent to the Leonard Lopate Show, I received a reply stating that Chomsky had been invited many times but had always declined.

Perhaps you could ask Prof. Chomsky about this?

Sep. 18 2013 11:28 AM

"Katherine Jackson from LES", 11:03 a.m.:

There's quite a bit I could take apart in your post.

For now, let me at least ask:

How much have you actually listened to Brian Lehrer?

Are you aware that Noam Chomsky was last on the show in 2009?

(For barely twenty minutes, during which it appeared as if Mr. Lehrer was deliberately trying to keep Chomsky from saying anything too "controversial" or "offensive"...
Listen to the archived show here:

Don't you just love the "unstoppable march of Communism" exchange?)

In fairness, for all I know, it is possible that BL or his staff attempted to get Chomsky on the show since then but that he declined. I say this because I had emailed the Leonard Lopate Show asking why it seemed that Chomsky had _never_ been on the show and I received the reply that Chomsky had been invited many times but had always declined. If no one from the BL Show responds to this post, perhaps I will try emailing my question to them directly.

Jun. 27 2013 01:19 PM

CLARIFICATION: When I wrote, "certain "untouchable" issues", in the parenthetical statement at the end of my previous post, I was **NOT** referring-to the Middle East, Zionism or the State of Israel.

Jun. 27 2013 11:48 AM

"At any historical moment, we are likely to find a conventional interpretation of the state of the world and our role within it, often gaining the force of unchallenged doctrine. Another near truism is that reality tends to depart from established Truth. The present period is no exception."

- Noam Chomsky, The Victors

(If only Chomsky would realize how much this applies to the politically-correct, "acceptable" narrative/interpretation/position on certain "untouchable" issues that, by all indications I've seen thus far, he is as guilty as anyone in fully embracing and promoting...)

Jun. 27 2013 11:33 AM
Katherine Jackson from LES

I have always had great respect for Brian's intelligence and refusal to play the simplistic "there are aleays two sides to every story and th e truth lies somewhere in the middle" approach to political issues. But comparing Clarence Thomas on the Court as an African American outlier on the right to Noam Chomsky on the left as a Jew at the UN is reductive to the point of being a crude disservice to intelligent discourse . I have counted on Brian as one of the last bastions of intelligent, nuanced discussion but now I womder: is Noam Chomsky with his many decades of tireless research and scrupulous documentation, id simply too much for a US mainstream radio program? I realize that Brian thought he was being funny, but that makes his reducing Chomsky to the equivalent of Clarence Thomas even worse. But I forget: there are two sides to every story....

Jun. 27 2013 11:03 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Nah, Taher. There are other, better ways to direct that valid outrage. Let it fire a resolve to get back on our game. We've been giving these folks too much credit.

Jun. 27 2013 11:03 AM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

I guess soon the only way to get work place justice is the through the power of the gun.

Jun. 27 2013 10:59 AM
fuva from harlemworld

See, whether or not "black people can make it on their own" is not the issue. This is what Clarence and Adam (and maybe Brian) don't get. It's the critical difference between Noam and Clarence -- the quality of the analysis.

Jun. 27 2013 10:53 AM

In response to Mr. Lehrer's reference to Noam Chomsky:

If only Brian Lehrer (and his fellow gatekeepers) would realize just how /right/ Chomsky is where they think he's /wrong/ and just how /wrong/ Chomsky is where they think he's /right/...

Jun. 27 2013 10:53 AM