There's nothing like Greenwich Village. Or is there?

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

For more than 100 years, visitors have observed the unique charms of Manhattan's Greenwich Village, so it's perhaps only natural that writers have described dozens of quirky neighborhoods around the world as a local version of the Village.

See which neighborhoods — from Columbus, Ohio to Helsinki, Finland — have been called their city's "answer to Greenwich Village."

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Olen from GR, MICH

On your program you mentioned singers that sounded like Bob Dillan and gave a short sound bite of the artist. Would you pass on the artist name or the CD. I would like to hear more. Thank You Olen

Jul. 07 2013 08:35 PM
Heather from Syracuse & NYC

Let's face it, nothing is like Greenwich Village, not even the Village itself! We yearn for the memory of it, that ever-cool, accessible, let-your-freak-flag-fly nostalgia. Its human scale and visual appeal remain (as real estate investors were quick to recognize) but its heart and soul have had a transplant. A number of old-school shops still persevere, thank goodness, but they are dwindling. (Notable recent casualties: CBGBs and Bleecker Bob's Music Store.) As someone who has lived there for 21 years, I can tell you that it is rapidly becoming a gated community of the very rich or the very famous.

Jul. 01 2013 07:34 PM
Jack Rescoe from Portland, Oregon

When I was a student, mid 1950s, I liked to sip cappuccino in Renganeschi's on W 10th St. Then one day I saw John Sloan's painting of Renganeschi's in 1912. Then I was safe to assure myself that I knew classy joints. I wish I was back there now. Those were good times.

Jun. 29 2013 09:06 PM
suzinne from Bronx

There USED TO BE nothing like Greenwich Village. What it is today, is a mere shadow of its glorious past. Sorry.

Jun. 29 2013 04:16 PM
Blueberry from the West Village

I'd say Bloomington, Indiana, qualifies.

-- From a current Village resident and former Bloomingtonian.

Jun. 29 2013 11:40 AM
cory from Seattle, WA

I'll never hear something described as "the answer to Greenwich Village" again without retching.

Jun. 29 2013 11:12 AM
AG

what a waste... you can't "create" a Greenwich Village artificially... just like you can't create Harlem. Those things happened and changed. Any attempt at duplication will be a poor copy.

Jun. 29 2013 10:51 AM
LOL from LOLZ

I think that if you know another Village you should keep it hidden from the greed and avarice of developers and "city planners" and "consultants" and council people and elected officials and anyone else looking to get rich off of other people instead of going out there and getting a job.
This planet is going to hell in a hand basket.

Jun. 29 2013 09:49 AM
Steve Vasta from New York

The pictures are nice, but they represent two different notions of Greenwich Village -- one the "traditional," "Bohemian" sort of neighborhood, the other the more recently yuppified, up-and-coming one.

I've been to Prague several times, for example, and I can tell you that Vinohrady, for all its Old World cosmopolitan charms, is nothing like Greenwich Village at all -- and certainly not the scruffy, bohemian Village!

Yorkville, in Toronto, is very much upscale.

Steve

Jun. 28 2013 10:45 PM

A bit of the Village still exists:

Jun. 28 2013 03:42 PM
Brian L. from Brooklyn

Whoops, that was Leonard Lopate's show this afternoon, not Mr. Lehrer's this morning. Mea culpa, as they used to say during Mass back when the Village was culturally relevant.

Jun. 28 2013 03:33 PM
Brian L. from Brooklyn

Ughh. Are all these real estate developers, travel agents and city PR reps around the world still laboring under the assumption that Greenwich Village has anything to do with counterculture, youth, "bohemia," rock'n'roll or transgression? Greenwich Village is merely a neighborhood where people go to consume -- while they can also certainly live there if they have the money and are looking to prove some kind of a point. It is an aesthetically pleasing commercial district that caters to tourists and affluent bon vivants. I'm 32 years old, and that's how it's been my entire adult life. I know the Village has a florid history and all, but as one of Brian Lehrer's guests this morning pointed out, there was a time when the NYC waterfront was on Prince Street, too. We don't talk about Prince Street today as if that's where the waterfront is.

Jun. 28 2013 02:48 PM
Jacob from Miami

Coconut Grove in Miami? Um, no. It's about as cookie-cutter as it gets.

If anything, maybe Wynwood/Edgewater, but even that is a stretch.

Jun. 28 2013 12:10 PM
Pedro from Miami & NY

Sorry, but the Miami one is way off. Coconut Grove is a residential neighborhood that has nothing in common with the Village.

Jun. 28 2013 12:01 PM