Swine Flu Outbreak

Monday, April 27, 2009

Anahad O'Connor, New York Times metro reporter, reports on New York's response to the swine flu outbreak and Ambassador Rubén Beltrán, Consul General of Mexico in New York, gives the latest on the swine flu outbreak in Mexico and what the government there is doing in response.

Rubén Beltrán and Anahad O'Connor

Edmund Singleton from Bronx, NY

Anahad O'Connor has been cited for the excessive use of the phrase ‘you know’ I'm sure he does not write that way...

Apr. 28 2009 01:50 AM
ryan from NY

to further feed the paranoia you can watch the "pandemic" spread via google maps:

Apr. 27 2009 11:58 AM
A Bedoya from Brooklyn

This is ridiculous. Another TERROR! story. Media blows it all out of proportion. We are so preconditioned to feel fear that now we can't even distinguish whats what. Thank you WNYC for some level headedness.

Apr. 27 2009 11:26 AM
Tom from Upper West Side

Does not the annual permutation of flu viruses confirm the idea, reality and importance of evolution?

Apr. 27 2009 11:26 AM
Richard from Brooklyn, NY

I have had flu-like symptoms for the past few days: a fever of close to 102 (it broke last night, and my temperature is normal after two days of fever), upper-respiratory infection, bad cough, sore throat, fatigue, body aches. It seemed like the flu but like a normal flu, not even as bad as some I've had - like the one in 1968.

I did take this year's flu shot, and I even took the 1976 swine flu shot. I didn't see a doctor because I felt too sick and didn't feel I needed medical care for a mild flu.

I don't think I had this swine flu, but I certainly have thought about this. I do have to go to work this evening.

Apr. 27 2009 11:26 AM
Jane from east village

Tamiflu isn't exactly a cure (official website says it reduces severity up to 40%). Is it equally effective for those with HIV/Aids? Is the dosage the same?

Apr. 27 2009 11:25 AM
Molly from New Jersey

I know the current vaccine is not made for this flu, but do they think it will help at all? Perhaps make it milder, say?

Apr. 27 2009 11:18 AM
Cassandra from Brooklyn

Why does the government continue to subsidize cruel and filthy factory farms instead of putting money into small family farms, when the former is a breeding ground for swine flu, bird flu, and all sorts of other diseases.

I think that the government should definitely step up responsibility as far as encouraging small farming and that we as individuals should do everything possible to limit/eliminate eating animal flesh (starting with chickens and pigs).

Apr. 27 2009 11:12 AM
jake from greenpoint

It seems a bit difficult for me to think of this as a PANDEMIC.

Seriously, the number of people allegedly infected with the 'avian bird flu' pandemic is a joke. The largest number I have seen is 1000. Most numbers range around 200-250 people infected.

According to the WHO regarding the 'avian bird flu' virus, "fewer than 200 human cases have been laboratory confirmed." See the middle of paragraph 22: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/avian_influenza/en/

I don't even want to get into the alleged connections between Donald Rumsfeld and the patents and intellectual property of Tamiflu, the antivirus for the 'avian bird flu.'

The point is, before the country spends $2 billion dollars on the Tamiflu equivalent for the 'swine flu' can we agree on a number of cases that need to be lab tested prior to production?

Apr. 27 2009 11:02 AM
hjs from 11211

is it possible that there is no evidence of the outbreak in the ny mexican community because (illegal) immigrants don't go back and forth (as brian said) but are trapped north of the boarder.

is it also possible that US tourists brought a flu to mexico and the locals have no immunity to this american strain?

Apr. 27 2009 11:01 AM
Linda from NJ

"Maybe if they cut the Pork in Washington Swine flue would go away"

Apr. 27 2009 10:44 AM
john from upper west side

top preformers in any business or industry will always be in demand. These so called bankers are only sales men with contacts. The guy with the best contacts and skill, who has a track record, will always be in demand. a good salesman has a client list to sell to his new employer..

Apr. 27 2009 10:34 AM
Cristina from Brooklyn, NY

It's very important to point out that Cancun is 1,200 miles away from Mexico City and there haven't been any report cases from the Yucatan peninsula. Also, it's important to look at the outbreak time line and not panic if you were in Mexico a couple of weeks ago.

I'm from Mexico City and all my family and friends are there. Looking at the images of the empty city does have an impact on me. Activities haven't halt like this since the big earthquake in 1985 that killed thousands of people. It might seem like an overblown reaction but let's not forget recent pandemics in Asia and the impact it had in these cities.

Apr. 27 2009 10:33 AM
Robert Beacher from work

I got violently ill on the evening of the 14th and was sick for over a week. As a teacher and a parent, I am certain that I was exposed by a student or students who traveled to Mexico the week before the break! Many of my students are taken on 'vacation' the week prior to the actual spring break. Of course it is cheaper and less crowded to go on vacation when everyone else is still in school.
This just confirms and compounds their irresponsibility.

Apr. 27 2009 10:27 AM
john from upper west side

its possible to assume that there is no evidence of the oubreak in the ny mexican comunity because immigrants may not report illness for fear of exposing there imigration status.

Apr. 27 2009 10:27 AM
hjs from 11211

Peter
no, we need the tourist dollars!

Apr. 27 2009 10:27 AM
Peter Olsen from Brooklyn

I am wondering if I should discourage my family from their visit to NY (from the Midwest) on Wednesday.

Apr. 27 2009 10:25 AM
AFisher from LIC

Brian,
The question I want to hear asked is about the St Francis Prep is, what is the health status of the parents and older friends of infected students. The flu has been reported to be most fatal for 25-45 either because that age group doesn't usually get vaccines or because the robust immune systems of that age group actually produces the fatal pneumonia.

Apr. 27 2009 10:21 AM
Chris from New York

This seems like another argument in favor of immigration reform. If individuals are kept in the shadows, how can government health services adequately service them in a situation such as a pandemic? By refusing to acknowledge the existence of so many residents, we may unwittingly be creating a convenient incubation site.

(Also, I commend your evenhanded reporting--a nice break from the rapid-reaction fear-mongering on so many news outlets.)

Apr. 27 2009 10:20 AM
rwet

why are the mexicans getting so much sicker than americans?

Apr. 27 2009 10:18 AM
Leo from Queens

Brian, this is an excellent point/observation you make in that we have not seen this influenza virus in the Mexican community in the US when there is more contact with their home country.

I hope you point out the irresponsibility of many news outlets including CNN, BBC and NPR which make general statements about the 'outbreaks' in the US. I understand that this is a serious problem which requires a responsible, targeted response and precautions. But I have heard on 'The Takeaway' that already 'schools in Queens, NY, San Antonio, Orgeon' have been closed'. This is irresponsible in that The Takeaway failed to mention that in all cases these have been ONE school each has been closed due to students from those schools coming sick.
CNN fails to mention that that the students in Queens come from one private catholic school where each of the people who came down sick had traveled to Mexico. The BBC has been equally irresponsible by leaving out details and making general statements that give the impression that there has been an outbreak in NYC without providing the facts which put this in context!

Apr. 27 2009 10:18 AM
hjs from 11211

germ warfare by mexican drug dealers working with al-qaeda

Apr. 27 2009 10:18 AM
Darius from Prospect Heights

Wow. High school spring break in Cancun.

Apr. 27 2009 10:15 AM
amorris from manhattan

Do we know if there is an incubation period? News reports are that the Queens school children were on their trip two weeks ago.

Apr. 27 2009 10:12 AM
Hugh from Brookyn

Here's a question: Have Mayor Bloomberg, President Obama, and other high muckety mucks already received Tamiflu treatment even though the medication might be better used where it is more needed? (Something like this happened with Cipro following the scares over anthrax.)

Apr. 27 2009 10:10 AM
Anne from nyc

My family was in Mexico City over spring break. We've been home more than a week and no symptoms, but I don't want to endanger anyone, especially at my child's school. Am I right that the incubation period is only 48 hours and we are in the clear?

Apr. 27 2009 10:10 AM