LICH Saga Continues

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Stephen Levin, New York City Councilmember from the 33rd District, talks about what is going on at Long Island College Hospital in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn.

Stephen Levin
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Evelyn from Carroll Gardens, Gowanas Brooklyn, NY

I gave birth to my three children in Long Island College Hospital. My first in 1982, my second in 1984 and my third in 1997. When I had a miscarriage my doctor was there for me. The father of my children was born in this hospital. His mother my children's grandmother was born in LICH also. Three generations of my family born in Long Island College Hospital. I've followed up with the best of doctors from LICH and every doctor that I see privately are affiliated with this outstanding Hospital. I'm asthmatic this is the only hospital that I've gone to when I have an asthma attack. The LICH paramedics have saved my life on numerous occasions. The emergency room staff have never let me go home unless they were sure that I was well. If been admitted to LICH whenever I needed further observation. What ever procedure I've had done has been done at LICH. The fact that people from the Heights do not utilize the best services that LICH has to offer is their loss. This hospital should not be subject to closure under the guide that certain neighbors don't patron the services of LICH. This hospital may be in the center of Cobble Hill and Brooklyn Heights but it has served an array of neighbors from all sections of Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens. People that may have moved from the neighborhood still patron LICH for their health services. Please don't take my LICH away.

Jul. 13 2013 06:04 PM
amy from sunset park

Ok so the Governor is hiding out because he IS responsible for the situation at LICH & the mess its illegal diversion has caused in Brooklyn's other hospitals. But what is Mayor Bloomberg's excuse for HIS silence? Last I checked, Brooklyn residents are still citizens of NYC. They are being pulled out of their beds at LICH, carried into the street, tossed into an ambulance & taken who knows where - away from their doctors & the nurses they know. Ambulances are lined up for blocks outside Brooklyn Hospital & Methodist waiting to get into the ER. NYC residents are waiting in those ERs from 10 to 36 hrs or more because of the back-log caused by the illegal loss of LICH's ER. Councilmember James reported that fistfights were breaking out in Brooklyn Hospital's ER. People all over Brooklyn are put at risk because of SUNY's illegal action but SUNY just keeps steam rolling along, causing thousands of NYC residents to suffer & the mayor says NOTHING. Maybe if the patients in those ERs were all drinking 32oz cokes he might notice what's happening there. Disgraceful.

Jun. 26 2013 12:03 AM

LICH should not be closed, too many lives are affected. They are worth more than any big real estate deal that is at the heart of this situation. Cuomo, like Bloomberg, benefit from the big real estate lobbyists, these billionaires don't care about the citizens of Brooklyn.

Call Governor Cuomo, 1-518-474-8390. I chose to speak to a real live person in my call, but you can just leave a message. JUST DO SOMETHING!

Jun. 25 2013 11:18 AM
Amy from Manhattan

"LICH" is rather an unfortunate name for a hospital, since it's an old word for a corpse! It's also used (as I found out when I checked online to make sure of the definition) in horror fiction & gaming to mean an undead sorceror...I'm not sure what that might imply if the hospital is "brought back from the [near-]dead"!

Also, to T&B, doctors take the Hippocratic Oath; administrators & politicians don't. Might be a good idea!

Jun. 25 2013 10:48 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

Hippocratic Oath:

First, do no harm.

Is not closing a hospital emergency room doing harm to patients, and therefore in violation of the Hippocratic Oath as well as the Judge's ruling?

Jun. 25 2013 10:39 AM
Tamar Smith from Brooklyn, NY

I'd like to point out that it is not only what you called Brownstone Brooklyn that is served by LICH. Communities all over downtown Brooklyn, including Red Hook and other low income areas, are dependent on this hospital.

Jun. 25 2013 10:38 AM
antonio from baySide

You wait for Dr. Clarkson to pay you a visit!

Jun. 25 2013 10:37 AM