World's Worst Buddhist

Monday, March 30, 2009

Mary Pipher is stressed out, anxious and self-blaming, which makes her a pretty bad candidate for Buddhism. She discusses her new memoir Seeking Peace: Chronicles of the Worst Buddhist in the World.

Mary Pipher
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

sally greene

Olivia,
One time a zen archery master was teaching a class on a bluff by the ocean. He took careful aim and shot. The arrow flew over the target and into the ocean. The zen master yelled bulls eye and walked away.

There is no point.

To understand is to not know.

To experience is to shit in the woods.

She knows too much

Mar. 30 2009 12:06 PM
ted from manhattan

i find responses like the one she gave about texting a cop out. yes, we would like to be with the person speaking, but when not able, does that mean we should not have that communication?

dumb answer.

ted

Mar. 30 2009 12:04 PM
Olivia from Manhattan

IT'S A MEMOIR PEOPLE!!!!

Mar. 30 2009 12:02 PM
EM from the nirvana called nj

Didn't know buddishism could be so superficial.

Mar. 30 2009 12:00 PM
Olivia from Manhattan

Jonathan..I don't thinks she's taking the stance of an expert or master teacher.

HEAR WHAT SHE JUST SAID?????

She's perfectly qualified to talk about her own experiences.

I think you've missed the point.

Mar. 30 2009 11:59 AM
sally greene

Sit down and Shut up . It's a famous zen quote.
Why don't you get a real buddhist on the show.

Buddhism sells books.

Everyone doesn't have to write a book.

Zen monks meditate hours a day.

Mar. 30 2009 11:58 AM
Mickey Bitsko from Downtown Manhattan

Your guest sounds like a complete narcisist.

Mar. 30 2009 11:57 AM
jonathon purcell

Mindfulness is not necessarily Buddhist. Ask any Zen Roshi. She not well informed nor a qualified.

Majority of Buddhist are reacting strong to hubris.

Buddhism and New Age are not the same thing.

Mar. 30 2009 11:53 AM
hjs from 11211

this one just needs some weed!

Mar. 30 2009 11:52 AM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

I liked to joke that I went to a Yoga class but they told me to come back when I was more relaxed.....

Mar. 30 2009 11:51 AM
eva

The book sounds wonderful - and useful. I wonder what Pipher makes of Martin Buber's take on Buddhism in "I and Thou"? Because to me it seems like she has wisely avoided what he seemed to warn about - using Eastern philosophy to detach. Pipher seems to have used "mindfulness" not to detach, but to step back, and then re-engage in the world, as evidenced by her continuing to write.

(My favorite Buddhist is Martin Buber - even though he was a Zionist taken with the mystical power of Chasidism, I think he managed, in his life and his work, to represent and live out much of what westerners admire in Buddhism, and perhaps what they fail to see is already offered in Judaic and Christian traditions.)

Mar. 30 2009 10:37 AM
Andre from NYC

I love Mary Pipher. I just finished reading her book, "Writing to Save the World". I bought several copies for my friends and they love it, too. I can't wait to read her new book.
Andrea Whitaker