Hit the Reset Button

Friday, March 27, 2009

Kurt Andersen, novelist and host of PRI's Studio 360, wrote the cover article for this week's Time Magazine called "The End of Excess: Why This Crisis is Good for America", talks about the end of an era and a way forward.

Kurt Andersen
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Bruce Foster from NYC

As sometimes happens with Kurt Anderson, there is less here than meets the ear.

Hold the Media Classes feet to a fire and find out who the hell is this "we" that they seem to prattle on about?

Mar. 30 2009 12:38 PM
leo from Chicago, IL

It's kind of funny how flummoxed Anderson was when Andrea brought up the fact that most Americans DID NOT do well over the page couple of decades.

Now it's possible that everyone that Kurt Anderson knows made off like gangbusters, but for the rest of us it was more like Paul Krugman's 'Great Divergence':

"The great divergence: Since the late 1970s the America I knew has unraveled. We’re no longer a middle-class society, in which the benefits of economic growth are widely shared: between 1979 and 2005 the real income of the median household rose only 13 percent, but the income of the richest 0.1% of Americans rose 296 percent."

Mar. 28 2009 02:22 AM
ariel from crown heights

I'm so glad you mentioned pop culture warning us about this - I've had a hanging feeling for months that the Sopranos was a mirror of the times and in true David Chase style warned of the consequences of an individual's recklessness on a macro / national level.

Long live the Sopranos - the show that saw it all coming and warned of its crash!

Mar. 27 2009 08:58 PM
eva

I haven't listened to the whole thing, but isn't Andersen the guy who made such a large amount of money during the dotcom boom?

BTW, I love his show. I just think it's weird hearing someone who was part of that huge "media-is-everything" extreme in the last fleeting moments of the dotcom boom is complaining about the long bender.

But maybe he mentioned that earlier and I missed it. Either way, Studio 360 is great.

Mar. 27 2009 02:24 PM
Robert Matlock from Staten Island

I personally have no debt. I don't know any of these extravagant people that people (predominantly conservative) keep talking about, I believe to shift blame for the economic crisis from their rich buddies on Wall Street. I do know a lot of people who are strapped. I do know that medical costs are the major cause of bankrupcy. I have yet to hear a journalist question this thesis that we the people brought on this crisis.

Mar. 27 2009 10:46 AM
bill from brooklyn

sounds like you have nothing to say at all Kurt, just respewing the same flame against ne'erdoWells...save the whine for the bryn mawr student union and do something about it (besides telling us what we already know).

Mar. 27 2009 10:43 AM
hjs from 11211

does anyone really believe america can ever give up our greedy-empire building ways?

Mar. 27 2009 10:07 AM
superf88

But I thought this was what 9/11 was going to do, along with the popping of Tech Stocks, the rating agencies' credibility, the Catholic Church and Enron all inside 6 months?

Mar. 27 2009 09:50 AM