Open Phones: Are you starting a new business?

Thursday, March 19, 2009

What kind of business are you starting? How is it going? We want to hear your stories. Give us a call or comment below.

Jonathan from Dallas

Gorilla marketing in today's economy is everything, marketing to get through the recession!
If your interested in web optimization for your site, there is a free site for uploading video ads for your business, they also have image uploads if you are not yet up to videos. The more sites you can link to the greater your market will be. They have a free link exchange as well.

Jun. 03 2009 04:16 PM
Ilise Benun from Hoboken NJ

For over 20 years I've been running a business that teaches small business owners how to market their businesses.

It's current incarnation is called Marketing Mentor (http://www.Marketing-Mentor.com) and my best advice to anyone starting out is this:

Find a problem, solve it and charge them.

Then, spread the word everywhere you can about what kind of problems you solve. That's the beginning of a marketing plan!

Mar. 24 2009 12:54 PM
Nora Herting from Brooklyn

To Scott_A from Astoria who wanted more information about graphic recording.

Please visit my website www.imagethink.net or email me at info@imagethink.net

Thanks!

Nora

Mar. 23 2009 03:16 PM
Samina Quraishi from Jackson Heights, NY

I now own/operate 2 community acupuncture clinics in Queens, NY. The first one I opened in Astoria in 2008. Since it was doing pretty well, I decided to open a second location now in Jackson Heights. The key is that we offer affordable acupuncture treatments on a sliding scale of $20 - $40. A great thing in a bad economy!

Mainly we focus on the working class and multi-ethnic communities. We treat a WIDE variety of health issues. Although these are tough economic times, it has worked out to be a rewarding opportunity to be able to offer health treatments which are accessible to most of the population. Just because people are struggling financially does not mean they have a shortage of health problems. Quite the opposite.

All of that being said, it is never an easy thing to have your own business. It is just hard to not lose sleep over wondering if it will all work out. Will I be able to pay my rent? All of the emotions every new business owner must go through. I guess that's where the importance of positive thinking comes into play.

For more information please visit www.queensacupuncture.com. If you have any questions, feel free to call me at (718) 775-8990.

Thanks!
Samina Quraishi, L.Ac.

Mar. 19 2009 04:23 PM
Mihail Kossev from Brooklyn, NY

I started an Edible Landscaping service that installs and maintains beautiful and productive vegetable gardens in backyards all over the NYC Metro area. We have found that investment in our services pays for itself in vegetables and increased property value. Our clients experience fewer trips to the grocery store, worry less about food prices and quality concerns as well as reconnect with where their food comes from. My colleagues and I take the old saying "You are what you eat" very seriously and are working to revolutionize people's relationship to the land they own and the food they eat.

For more information, please visit www.ediblelandscaper.com --- if you have a backyard, roof top or terrace fit for a garden this season, call us for a free consultation 732-492-6001. Bon Appetite! =)

Mar. 19 2009 12:22 PM
Dawn oliveira from Rhode Island / fomer New yorker 20 yrs

Hi, My name is Dawn Oliveira of OLIVEIRA TEXTILES www.oliveiratextiles.com http://oliveiratextiles.blogspot.com
I make stuff! Brian, you mentioned that no one makes stuff anymore. Well we design and 'make' completely sustainable & organic textiles for residential interiors. After 20+ years designing textiles in NYC through my own design studio, Dot Studio, Inc., I am now 'manufacturing' our product right here in the New England. I Moved back to RI 5 years ago and have a mission to foster change in the textile manufacturing sector of the US. This is a long and winding road with a sharp learning curve but because we truly believe that sustainable manufacturing is what we need to do as a country,..and that the best is yet to come--we earnestly forge ahead. IS there ever a perfect time to start a new business?? If you're born with the entrepeneurial gene..there is no fighting it.
Thanks for listeing
Dawn

Mar. 19 2009 12:14 PM
Mihail Kossev from Brooklyn, NY

I started an Edible Landscaping business in light of the increased demand for affordable fresh produce and distrust of the food regulators of large-scale agro-industry in the NYC Metropolitan Area. For a long time, I had been informally installing and maintaining beautiful and productive vegetable gardens for clients all over New York and New Jersey and this is the first year we decided to run this concept as a business. We started with a few fliers around Brooklyn and have received enough of a response to raise money for an ad in the April 15th issue of Edible Brooklyn.

Clients are eager to invest in our services because not only does a healthy, beautiful garden add dollars to the resale value of property, but in addition to fewer trips to the grocery store, our clients end up eating better, living better by saving time and money on quality food in the long run. We take the old saying “You are what you eat” very seriously and are hope to watch our idea grow with the season. =)

For more information, you may go to www.ediblelandscaper.com --- if you have a backyard or roof top fit for a productive vegetable garden this year, call us at 732-492-6001 for a free consultation and estimate.

Bon Appetite! =)

Mar. 19 2009 12:12 PM
Melissa Ruth from Manhattan

If your new business is a service business in which you charge by the hour, and you want to offer lower rates to get business in the beginning, give a discount rather than just telling potential customers a lower rate. If you reflect that your invoices, then customers will be aware of what your "usual" rate is, and when you are able to actually charge that rate, you'll already have set that benchmark for them.

Mar. 19 2009 12:01 PM
Scott_A from Astoria

I'd like to learn more about the company that assists with meeting graphics. Does the caller have a link to a website, e-mail, twitter, etc?

PS - New Work City rocks.

Mar. 19 2009 11:57 AM
Tiffanee from Binghamton, NY

I am a public relations agent, doing freelance business as Image Revealer in Upstate NY. Despite the current economic conditions, my loyal customers remain strong. I believe new business and entrepreneurs will be in need of getting their message out there in creative ways, saving on cost of traditional advertising.

Mar. 19 2009 11:57 AM
hjs from 11211

this guy NEEDS to be on a speaker fone???

Mar. 19 2009 11:56 AM
Teri collins from New York

I started an online magazine called Job Recipes (www.jobrecipes.com) dedicated to people who want to make a career change and need some ideas as to the options that are available. We also have stories about entrepreneurs, non-profit careers and green careers. We basically want to inspire people to find work that they love.

Mar. 19 2009 11:55 AM
Jennifer from NYC

I think this is a good time to incubate something to be ready for better times

Mar. 19 2009 11:54 AM
John Hahn from Glen Rock NJ

Do not hire anyone until you need to do so. Employees bring many many headaches.
It is good to use part timers as needed.
Always always always have business cards with you.

Mar. 19 2009 11:50 AM
Ken from Manhattan

I started a coupon sharing website called Unclip.com after two years of working in publishing. It's been great--everyone seems to be looking for coupons these days--but getting venture capital was tricky. I had to rely on family and friends, which is scary.

Mar. 19 2009 11:48 AM
Nora Herting from Brooklyn

My best friend and I have formed a partnership that provides a unique service at business conferences and meetings called Graphic Facilitation.

Graphic facilitation is a real-time capture of presentation and conversations in words and pictures. Participants literally 'see' their words visualized into a comprehensive and engaging mural as the meeting unfolds.

We are both artists, so we have been undergone quite the education on the basics of entrepreneurship like bookkeeping and business plans. Right now we are trying to find someone with a small start up in marketing and PR to trade services with as we have a very limited budget and little investment.

So far, the work has been erratic. With some months turning up two or three new clients.

To learn more about graphic facilitation and see our work samples visit our website: http://www.imagethink.net

Mar. 19 2009 11:43 AM
Jonathan Kaplan from Valley Stream, Long Island

I have started my own freelance graphic design business, and my work is slowly growing. I started in July and things have been positive despite the economy. I have gotten work through craigslist, word of mouth and it has been very good so far. Since I work from home I'm able to keep costs down and I am lucky that the clients I have are great!

Mar. 19 2009 11:00 AM
Fredrick Selby from 200 Varick St

Hi,
I am involved in coworking space called New Work City (nwcny.com). We are an open collaborative workspace for freelancers, entrepreneurs and independents and have been open since Nov. 1 2008. We are seeing a tremendous increase in membership and inquires, especially since the beginning of the year.
We offer part-time and flexible space, many members are 'drop-in's' and show up once a week or once a month. Most of our members have a need for an environment more structured than a Cafe or working from home, but don't need or can't afford full time office space.
For the first time in their lives, many people are un or under employed and are not sure where to turn to. Our space is helping this segment by providing interaction and support to those who are launching new ventures. Or those who are just tired of talking to their cat or fern at home.

Mar. 19 2009 10:43 AM