30 Issues: The Future of Marijuana Laws in NYC

Tuesday, October 01, 2013

It’s Public Safety Week on the Brian Lehrer Show’s election series “30 issues in 30 Days.” See the full 30 Issues schedule and archive here.

Both Joe Lhota and Bill de Blasio have indicated that they would decriminalize certain types of marijuana usage and try to reform the way New York City treats marijuana arrests. Gabriel Sayegh, New York Director of the Drug Policy Alliance, discuss their proposals and the future of drug policy under the next mayor and police commissioner.

Gabriel Sayegh

Donald J. Sepanek from Bayonne, NJ

I thought that Cuomo said, a while back, that he wanted to legalize pot but didn't have the votes to do it because of the republicans. Was he just doing some political dance? Now it seems it's a republican who wants to legalize it. I guess Cuomo was lying.

Oct. 01 2013 03:01 PM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

David Peel for the Pot Party!

Oct. 01 2013 12:14 PM

@jgarbuz -

And just how are these "at home only" users supposed to get the product they want, if not from some dealer? Grow it?

I do not want to see marijuana commercialized but I do not think that it should be criminal. In a modern world how can we have one and not the other?

Oct. 01 2013 11:26 AM
NinaB from EV

Why is it never mentioned that marijuana is a serious quality-of-life issue for some of us who don't indulge? The stench is sickening and offensive. I have to endure it every day where I live (I'd like to move, but, as we all know, finding decent, affordable housing in this town isn't easy.) I'm all for giving those in pain anything that can help them (and I have direct experience caring for terminally ill loved ones) and I don't support absurd policing or ruining the lives of young people for a minor violation, but I really am afraid of the prospect of living in a city clouded by weed-smog and teeming with stoners. I don't think I'm alone in this.

Aren't the revolting incense vendors bad enough?

Oct. 01 2013 11:05 AM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

This issue gives us a window into a politician’s worldview.
Cuomo is a backward looking, reactionary, out of date politician.
The question is on how many other issues is he so blind and uninformed.

Oct. 01 2013 11:00 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I think people who are high in public should be treated by the law the same as people who are publicly drunk. They might have to sleep it off in the station house. But I don't think people should be arrested for carrying small amounts of grass. Only if it is obvious he or she is a dealer. I think dealing in marijuana should be illegal, but what people do in their homes, as long as they don't become violent or a menace to anyone else, should not be a public business. No more so than drinking liquor at home.

Oct. 01 2013 10:55 AM
Oscar from ny

The ignorance and the capricious attitude towards the pot laws are simply evil and the hypocrisy is colossal ... A city that is supposed to be the beacon of the world still meddling with these politicians who think reprimanding the public is the future they don't want to leave their antiquated laws and inventions.

Oct. 01 2013 10:50 AM
John

That Bloomberg quote was the most absurd thing I've heard all week.

Oct. 01 2013 10:46 AM