30 Issues in 30 Days: Taxi!

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Taxis, pedestrians, and Citi Bikers: the usual Manhattan street melange. (Kate Hinds)

It's Transportation Week on the Brian Lehrer Show's election series "30 issues in 30 Days." See the full 30 Issues schedule and archive here.

How will hailing a cab change under the next mayor? Capital New York reporter Dana Rubinstein talks about the issues of medallion and livery cabs, owners' vs. drivers' concerns, Manhattan vs. "outer boroughs" and what the next mayor will do.

Dana Rubinstein

a

I'm glad she exposed it... Deblasio gets money from the yellow taxi industry... SAD

Oct. 29 2013 07:52 PM
Henry

@Amy What I mean is that the cabs are not clearly distinguishable at night or during the day for some people. If it doesn't matter than it's a moot point, but if I'm wasting my time trying to hail a yellow cab from Queens to Brooklyn who doesn't want to take me (happens all the time) but a Boro cab would happily take me then I want it to be clear and distinguishable. Also, does anyone know if there's any truth to the stories that you're more likely to get an uninsured driver in a livery cab than a yellow cab?

Oct. 29 2013 12:52 PM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

JimSchneider from Manhattan said:

"The yellow taxis follow the gentrification footprint,e.g. stopping at the long acknowledged "border" of 96th st and avoid non-white passengers within it"

But aren't most of the taxi drivers non-white too?

How do you explain this?

What about Morningside Heighs and Columbia University?

Oct. 29 2013 11:50 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Heidi, it's not all Manhattanites--unless Manhattan ends at 96th St. Which it doesn't.

Henry, if cabs of either color can pick you up outside the lower half of Manhattan, does it matter if you can't tell the color? Or do you mean *in* that lower half, where the green ones won't stop for you?

I wonder if calling a cab to go to the emergency room means ambulances are avoiding some neighborhoods, like yellow cabs do. If so, that's worse than when the cabs do it & should be investigated (& then reported on Brian's show!).

Oct. 29 2013 10:54 AM
JimSchneider from Manhattan

The yellow taxis follow the gentrification footprint,e.g. stopping at the long acknowledged "border" of 96th st and avoid non-white passengers within it, i.e. by often riding with light "off duty" and choosing passengers. I can get a taxi and don't have problems but the green is a little befuddling. Your caller/livery driver makes the subtle cultural point well: "Who will pick up a mother and sick child in ANY neighborhood?" And I know many friends who are frustrated by the yellow cab selectivity.

Oct. 29 2013 10:44 AM
henry from Sunnyside

Speaking of the new Boro taxi's, I'm color-blind and can't tell the difference between the two especially at night.

Oct. 29 2013 10:39 AM
Heidi from Astoria, Queens

As an Astorian I LOVE the green boro taxis. Occasionally I can luck out and get a yellow cab, but its hit and miss, and stressful! I see the green cabs now frequently and its a really nice nod to the masses who aren't Manhattanites.

Oct. 29 2013 10:39 AM