Governor Paterson: Year 1

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

WNYC reporters Elaine Rivera, Cindy Rodriguez, and Matthew Schuerman discuss David Paterson's first year as New York's Governor and how his administration has affected New York City.

Elaine Rivera, Cindy Rodriguez and Matthew Schuerman

mc from Brooklyn

Lance #22
Let's not forget that support and sponsorship are not exactly the same thing.

Mar. 17 2009 12:00 PM
mc from Brooklyn

Lance #22
I agree. Let's see what she does on her own. Paycheck Fairness is important to me and I'm glad she adopted it. But the jury's out.

Serena:#25
As far as I'm concerned that is the pot calling the kettle black. Dowd has shown herself to be completely obsessed with her hatred of anyone named Clinton and it affected anything she wrote on this subject.

Mar. 17 2009 11:52 AM
Serena from NYC

I think Dowd pegged Paterson when she called him a "goofball" and "the chuckle-headed governor".

Mar. 17 2009 11:43 AM
mc from Brooklyn

There are other fundraisers for the Democrats. Some of them are named Clinton. Caroline Kennedy never showed the slightest interest in being involved in politics until she jumped on the Obama bandwagon with her kids early last year. Her relationship with Joel Klein also puts her in a suspicious light in my book. There is way too much nepotism in politics but that doesn't mean that everyone related to an elected official is either good or bad. She just seemed detached.

As far as Gillibrand goes--jury is still out as far as I am concerned. She was a great dragon slayer upstate, taking out a long-term Repub incombant. I like her position on Paycheck Fairness. We will see where she goes on guns and immigration.

Mar. 17 2009 11:43 AM
Lance from Manhattan

MC[14], that was an easy one.
Sen. Clinton had already sponsored that bill, and what Democratic NYer would not support it (even if their prior legislative experience had been as a representative for a relatively conservative district)?

Let's see what Gillibrand does when she has to make a tougher decision.

Mar. 17 2009 11:35 AM
Andrew from brooklyn

Re: Caroline kennedy - I refer to the New Yorker article of a few months ago that quoted a former advisor to Moynihan.

There are three important people in the democratic party that every candidate across the country would invite to a fund raiser. Barack, Michelle and Caroline.

What better way to get to a filibuster proof majority in the senate?

So much of the senate is begging for access. There is not one senator that would turn down a meeting with Caroline. This would have been great for access to stimulus funding and elevating the issues our state faces on the national stage.

to quote - "we could have had the son of a governor, the daughter of a president, instead we chose the daughter of a lobbyist"

Mar. 17 2009 11:33 AM
Michael from Green Wood Heights, Brooklyn

Kennedy was not the issue. Gillibrand was an awful choice. The man, as spoofed on SNL is largely lost. I'd encourage Andrew Cuomo to run against him if it weren't for the fact that the mayor of NYC is more powerful than the governor of NYS, and that's not just because Mr. Bloomberg is one of the richest men in the world. Perhaps I should encourage Mr. Cuomo to run for the senate next year. He appears to be a real hope for the future of new york and possibly the nation.

Mar. 17 2009 11:32 AM
James B from NYC

Gov. Paterson is one of the few 'progressive' politicians who is smart enough to understand that one can only be so 'progressive' on the state level in a Federal system. Raise taxes & provide social welfare on the Scandinavian model in New York or Massachusetts, Pennsylvania or Michigan & businesses, the middle classes & the rich will flee to the sunbelt. This is not so much prediction as simply observation of recent history! Northern NJ & Western CT have disprotionately more rich folk who were diasporized by previous bouts of NY 'progressive' taxation - many of them beneficiaries of the very fine public NY university system which gave them the wherewithal to get rich! Federalism makes state & local Scandinavianism impossible.

Mar. 17 2009 11:31 AM
Mark from Brooklyn

Andy, I'll take the bait. Given the complete collapse of comity that Spitzer achieved in less than a month, I shudder to think how he would be managing the current economic mess.

But if Bruno had retired on his watch and the booze and hookers were still flowing freely, who knows? He might have been SuperGov.

Mar. 17 2009 11:30 AM
mc from Brooklyn

Oh, please. Since when is Maureen Dowd a good source? She is constantly acting like she knows what other people are thinking and her loathing of Hillary Clinton has colored everything she ever wrote about the Senate seat, or anything else even remotely related to the presidential election.

Mar. 17 2009 11:29 AM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

Paterson is generally a breath of fresh air and is a welcome non-hack.

Do I/will I agree with every decision he makes?

Well, to answer that, let me point out that I doubt I will I agree with every decision any other politician makes.

We need more candor from our politicians not less and Paterson is way ahead of his colleagues.

Mar. 17 2009 11:27 AM
Serena from NYC

Quote Maureen Dowd:
Kennedy friends said that, as Caroline was pulling out for family reasons, the governor made a crude attempt to control the spin — a childish “You can’t quit, I’m firing you” power play.

Mar. 17 2009 11:26 AM
mc from Brooklyn

Lance #8
To wit: Gillibrand's co-sponsorship of the Paycheck Fairness Act.

Mar. 17 2009 11:23 AM
Andy from brooklyn

Norman from Manhattan has the key question I'd like to hear the answer to.

Mar. 17 2009 11:20 AM
mc from Brooklyn

I am unhappy with the back and forth over the deal about carbon credits to energy producers. First he was going to give them more free credits, then he said he wasn't. Which is it?

Mar. 17 2009 11:20 AM
mc from Brooklyn

I'm so tired of the Caroline Kennedy narrative. She was a lousy candidate for the Senate appointment and her people boxed him in with this ridiculously public campaign for it. He should have handled it better but it bugs me that her set doesn't come in for its share of the blame especially the mayor's office.

Mar. 17 2009 11:19 AM
Phil from Queens

Paterson has been doing a good job. Hs is a realist and in an economy destroyed in the past few months, he has stood up to greedy unions who are paying him back with millions of dollars of TV and radio ads. Possibly illegal expenditures by them. I say re-elect him unless Rudy runs!!!

Mar. 17 2009 11:19 AM
Daniel from Munich

I was very disappointed by his use of DC PR spinners in the Caroline Kennedy business.

Mar. 17 2009 11:17 AM
Lance from Manhattan

I've liked the fact that he has been sounding the alarm for months about the state's budget deficits, but he should have been pushing the legislature more aggressively to raise taxes on the wealthiest NYers.

I also liked the fact that one of his first acts was to announce that the state government would recognize same-sex marriages conducted in other states. But - he hasn't pushed the legislature to legalize same-sex marriages here in New York.

I have been unimpressed so far with the senate appointment he made (Sen. Gillibrand). I can't believe she is the best candidate that was interested in the job. But it's early days yet, and maybe she will rise to the occasion.

Mar. 17 2009 11:16 AM
Bo from Brooklyn

I worked with Senator Paterson when I worked in nonprofits and he was a mensch. Alas, I fear they're going to rename the Peter Principle the Paterson Principle. Even with all his good attributes, not the least of which is his honesty and good intent, he seems to be in over his head.

Mar. 17 2009 11:15 AM
hjs from 11211

3 men in a room. where's the democracy?

Mar. 17 2009 11:15 AM
Nora Lynn from Williamsburg

I am really disappointed with David Paterson right now, his proposed budget cuts funding to NY's PBS stations 50%.

Mar. 17 2009 11:13 AM
delmore from queens

david paterson, a ''breath of fresh air?'' he's the amiable political hack his father was.

Mar. 17 2009 11:13 AM
Steven Mark from Manhattan UES

With due respect to your guests, we clothe our leaders in a mantle of perfection which, if applied to us, would be tattered. The trust of an office is based on honesty, intelligence of issues, imagination, courage and a willingness to take the hard its. The Gov gets an A- from me. How many A- leaders have we lost to our irrelevant standards?

Mar. 17 2009 11:13 AM
Robert from NYC

I think he VERY low ratings are unfair. However I do disagree with some of his policies. I think he is too "kind"(?) to Wall Street saying NYS depends on the taxes of those who get the huge bonuses. Well, instead of just accepting that as is how 'bout we just find other ways to get that income, hard as it might be to find them. Let's all, Governor, get to some hard(er) work. But in general an overall I support and like the witty, intelligent and strong Governor.

Mar. 17 2009 11:12 AM
Norman from Manhattan

How would things be different if Eliot Spitzer had still been governor?

Mar. 17 2009 11:01 AM