Conrad Black: U.S. Leadership

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Conrad Black, chairman of the Telegraph newspapers in Britain from 1987 to 2003, founder of the National Post in Canada, and author of Flight of the Eagle: The Grand Strategies That Brought America from Colonial Dependence to World Leadership (Encounter Books, 2013), talks about the strategic leaders and decisions that led to the rise of the United States as a world "superpower."

Conrad Black

(upcoming lurid website)

"Conrad & Kissinger: the nudes. secretly photographed by communist masseuses trying not to die of boredom listening to the chattering dentures of these two during their double massage on Sandy Weil's jet.")

Jun. 18 2013 12:39 PM

boo hoo

Jun. 18 2013 12:33 PM
MC from Manhattan

Well I guess this type of pompous relic still walks the earth ... creepy

Jun. 18 2013 11:50 AM
Gerald Fnord from Palos Verdes, Ca

I might pay heed to the words of a convicted felon, though I'd watch my back.

I might pay a little heed to the words of a convicted fraudster, but I'd watch my wallet.

I might pay heed to the words of a man willing to renounce his citizenship in one of the better countries on this sorry planet in exchange for the shallow vanity of a title, a title firmly rooted in an aristocratic tradition inimical to human liberty...but I'd watch my bride against an outbreak of <i>droit de seigneur</i> and my conscience for callousness (the Sin of Sodom, incidentally, and endemic to the Ruling Class).

I could even pay a little heed to a supporter of nearly the worst of the Israeli political tendencies, one which as a Zionist I loathe both for the damage it does to non-Jews in the area and will do, eventually, to Israel...but I'd have to watch out for the generation of schandehs for which he is known.

So it's simple: I might pay heed to Conrad Black, but I don't have enough eyes to do so safely.

Jun. 18 2013 11:43 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

To RJ

I know what Persians are: good friends to my people, the Jews, until the Islamofascists took over the country.

Jun. 18 2013 11:38 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

To RJ

First of all, Europe and the US are filled with African and Asian colonizers. Why is every white person living in Africa a "colonizer? Why isn't every African or Asian who came to Europe not a colonizer?

Second, the US is not telling every country what it has to do. But America does represent the concept of democracy, that is rule by those elected by the people, and not by despots. Yes, during the Cold War, when we were locked in a struggle with Soviet Communism, we supported those dictators who sided with us, and the Soviets supported the dictators who sided with them. But since the end of the Cold War, US policy has been consistent in urging democratic rule wherever possible.

Jun. 18 2013 11:35 AM
RJ from PROSPECT HTS

jgarbuz: Iranians are not Arabs; they are Persians.

Jun. 18 2013 11:33 AM
antonio from baySide

I think the problem is you cannot fundamentally unlink the private sector and special interest influence in government. Look at the financial sector...disaster. Look people made money under 'glass-stegall'. Eisenhower was right in his fair well address, and about debt. But that's another story.

Jun. 18 2013 11:32 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

If the NYTimes and others are threatened by it, they should get off the internet and just keep printing papers. If people want to read the NYTimes, they'll just have to buy the paper. No one is forced to use the internet if they don't want to.

Jun. 18 2013 11:31 AM
RJ from prospect hts

What gives anyone in the US the right to decide for other countries what their paths should be? Not just in the Middle East; Mr. Black casually passed over S. America and ignored Africa (which, granted, was primarily filled with European colonizers--as well as US resource vipers like oil companies and minerals): let's see: Chile, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Mexico (from the late 19th century up until nafta, which has entrapped workers in penury), laissez-faire in Honduras and Guatemala (except for Dole and other agricultural mercenaries), the so-called drug war in Colombia ... the harm caused to all of the people in these countries in the alleged name of the exceptional US way of life is not a decision the US had the right to make.

Jun. 18 2013 11:30 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Your Arab caller, Nadia, totally represents a false narrative and mistates the facts. First of all the Saudi clan overthrow the Hashemites in Mecca and Medina back in the early 1920s. America had nothing to do with it. Yes, to secure cheap oil during WWII, Roosevelt did guarantee King Saud US protection. And King Saud insisted that there be no Jewish state in Palestine, and Roosevelt said nothing. As for Iran, during the Cold War, when the USSR was playing the game of trying to deny the West resources such as oil, the US reluctantly helped the British overthrow Mossadegh who nationalized the British oil fields. The British told the Americans that he was in cahoots with the Soviets, but that wasn't actually true. He just wanted to take away British oil fields in Iran and use the revenues for the Iranian people.

Jun. 18 2013 11:28 AM
Restore Sanity from Westchester, NY

@ Jim My point was addressed to what I perceived to be an overly politically correct introduction by WNYC, not a criticism of Mr. Black's points about rates of conviction. To your point, I have read about Mr. Black's case, and it is accurate that despite all his appeals and high-priced lawyers, hiss convictions on mail fraud and obstruction of justice stand.

Jun. 18 2013 11:27 AM
tom from astoria

Pres. Coolidge said: "after all the business of the American people is business." Isn't this sentiment out of balance the past 30 years -- since Reagan.? We blame the government but allow corporations to avoid taxes, lobby shamelessly and relocate massive numbers of jobs overseas? We're giving the future to China, India Brazil.

Jun. 18 2013 11:27 AM
john from office

Everytime an Arab country throws of the chains of some tin pot dictator, they end up killing each other over a prophet's grandson. Maybe you need a boot on your neck to stop the killing.

Jun. 18 2013 11:26 AM

The death of a personal savings function is the root of many, many ills. Rather than give the individual greater incentives to save, we use tax policy - 401K's, 529's, FSA's - to give preferences to some classes of consumption spending. If you are a Keynesian, you believe that S=I...and right now the only segments doing any of 'S' already have too much 'I'!

Why can't we just treat savings the same as capital gains? Or even (since we are so far behind in personal savings) give a small (yet significant) advantage to personal thrift.

Jun. 18 2013 11:26 AM
Jean Mensing from nyc

I was tempted to read his book however I too am appalled that Kissenger writes the forward. Wherever is Mr. Blacks judgement?

Jun. 18 2013 11:23 AM
Robert from NYC

Yes, American "Exceptionalism" , huh! We're far from what it originally meant. Tell Chris Matthews that, the guy just can't stop saying it.

Jun. 18 2013 11:20 AM
Tony from Canarsie

The introduction to Black's book is by Henry Kissinger, so count me out.

Jun. 18 2013 11:18 AM
tom from astoria

Are we letting China eat our lunch these days? Seems the American corporate world is more than happy to give China our factories, jobs and technological achievements for short term advantage.

Jun. 18 2013 11:18 AM
Jim

Don't believe that Canada has escaped the real estate bubble. Just watch one episode of 'Love it or List It'...

Jun. 18 2013 11:16 AM
Robert from NYC

BRAVO, Conrad Black! But you forgot to add that should have known what was happening at his bank!

Jun. 18 2013 11:15 AM
Jim

@Restore,

You might want to take the time to read a little about Conrad Black's conviction. We was railroaded. Almost all charges were dropped, and the charge that stuck was arguably improper. But, whether he was guilty or not, the stats that he quotes about rates of conviction really deserve to be considered at face value.

Jun. 18 2013 11:13 AM
Restore Sanity from Westchester, NY

"Claims of embezzlement"? I think once one is convicted of a felony and serves 3 years in prison for the crime, it no longer accurate to state that these are only "claims". By law, they were proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

Jun. 18 2013 11:10 AM
BL Show Moderator

Some comments have been removed. Reminder: Please keep your comments on-topic and civil.

Jun. 18 2013 10:52 AM