Ed Hardy on His Life in Tattoos

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Tatoo artist Ed Hardy talks about his life as a tattoo artists and how he created his branding empire. His memoir Wear Your Dreams: My Life in Tattoos is about how he helped fomented the explosion of tattoo art.

Ed Hardy
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Lucia from Chelsea

Excellent and surprising interview. I'm a little disappointed that so many people here not only disapprove of tattoos but cast moral judgments on those who wear them. One would think that we could respect our fellows and see their humanity irrespective of their personal choices.
It was funny that Mr. Hardy was able to detect Mr. Lopate's very well-concealed hostility. Leonard is always the diplomat. Still, I hope that perhaps he may walk away from the interview with a trifle more tolerance for the tattooed. They are people too.

Lucia
tattoo-free since '83 :)

Jun. 19 2013 01:26 AM
David from Fredericksburg, VA

@ drexlermachines

Now there's an oxymoron - good tattoos!

Jun. 18 2013 04:26 PM
drexlermachines

I disagree, tattooing is as old as the human race. And now,yes, you are more rebellious for not having one! But there is still a subculture that appreciates good tattoos! I am amongst them... If you want a goood tattoo and you are into it, seek out a good ARTIST!

Jun. 18 2013 02:47 PM

...gotta agree with MikeB.

Jun. 18 2013 01:07 PM

...every mall rat in suburbia has a tattoo.

The transgression and connection to meaning is LONG gone.

Jun. 18 2013 01:03 PM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

The difference MC from Manhattan, is that people are getting tattoos nowadays for a totally different reason than did in the past and in other cultures -- it represents totally different things and comes from a different emotional place.

It's not about the tattoo itself that I find troubling; it's the vacuous mindset that is so empty inside and thinks that fulfillment is from external and superficial things. Plus the need to pose and show off. Sad.

Jun. 18 2013 12:58 PM

Gee, TATTOOs!!!

zzz.

Jun. 18 2013 12:52 PM
Larry from Brooklyn

While I agree with the guest's characterization of tattoos historically, they are so ubiquitous and bland now (everyone has the same one) that they seem to have lost meaning. What I see here in Williamsburg is that the "subversive" aspect comes from where they are (face) or how much coverage they have.

Jun. 18 2013 12:52 PM
MC from Manhattan

Well if Michael B is correct than every traditional society/culture is an example of all the negativity that he spews... ever see the traditional cultures of the Americas and elsewhere in the world ? How is any of the examples of personal modification he criticizes any different in essential style...

Time for some readings in anthropology ... education prevents a lot trash mouth

Jun. 18 2013 12:52 PM
David from Fredricksburg, VA

Unlike stupid clothing or idiotic hair styles, idiotic tattoos (e.g. ALL tattoos) are for life.

Jun. 18 2013 12:49 PM
David from Fredricksburg, VA

Jun. 18 2013 12:49 PM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

Tattoos are a plague. Like pre-ripped jeans, body piercing gone haywire, tie-dyed hair, all symptomatic of a society too much self-involved, self-entitled, spoiled, thinking about partying and self-aggrandizement, and with just too much damned time on its hands.

Everyone now a walking freak show/billboard advertisement: "Look at me!" "Aren't I unique?" (I'm different because I've got a tattoo -- just like everyone else!) or "I'm a rebel!" (my tattoo proves this -- just like everyone it does for everyone else!)

All this whilst complaining about our personal economies and the broader inequality of income and wealth (which I agree with -- but obviously people still have money to burn on nonsense -- certainly not the survival items of the past -- food, shelter, clothing.)

Just more of the complete fetishizing of almost every aspect of modern life. This is what now passes for art & culture. Dumbed down -- can it go any lower? (Never underestimate how low, course, or crass society will go in the name of various platitudes.)

Jun. 18 2013 12:20 PM