Candidate John Liu

Monday, June 17, 2013

Our series of interviews with candidates for New York City mayor continues. Today: Comptroller John Liu discusses the latest news from the campaign trail.

@ladyjay114:

I wonder if you happen to have had caught this one:
(see my comment at the top of the page)

Jun. 17 2013 03:53 PM

Criminal.

Jun. 17 2013 11:23 AM

@John from Office - The Feds have nothing on Liu.

@Amy from Manhattan - The City pays for Basic health coverage for public employees. If an employee wants enhanced health coverage (known in health insurance as a "rider") then the employee has to pay for the enhanced portion. Public employees do have to pay for copays and deductibles.

It is also worth mentioning that the reason why public employees don't contribute to health insurance is because their paychecks are much less than their private sector counterparts. I used to be a public employee and I always tell people that if I stayed I'd earn about 15% less for the same position.

@Julie - Brian's "misconceptions" aren't inadvertant. I've been listening for a while now and you will hear his many biases - from determining that soda is poison to giving the Whole Foods CEO a pass on many questions. It wouldn't surprise me that he holds the view that people on public assistance are living as well as everyone else. I understand otherwise - people like you are not!

Jun. 17 2013 11:06 AM
RBC from NYC

RE "Seaport City" - Everyone has to realize that the cost of such a project is $20B under CURRENT bond interest rates, still at record lows. The cost of borrowing is expected to increase over the next few years, hence the cost of development will increase as well. Also, nothing is ever done within budget in NYC. That project will probably cost 2-3 times what they are currently estimating. And it will be on the taxpayers dime while developers cash in. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE.

Jun. 17 2013 10:50 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Brian, SAF is random because "suspicious behavior" is defined too broadly and subjectively.

Jun. 17 2013 10:46 AM
Julie

Brian...I am unemployed and my entire food budget comes from SNAP (I have no other income available for food). I get $200 per month, which is about $6.50 per day!! It's only slightly more than the "average" you were just talking about. Please correct the misconception that you may have inadvertently just created that people living on the "full amount" of food stamps are somehow "living large". That perception is INCORRECT; please don't contribute to that line of thinking, which is so prevalent now in the larger population!! Don't contribute to the "moocher" mentality!! How many of your viewers want to eat on $6.50 PER DAY?! It's very difficult and if I run out of funds before my next benefit date, I sometimes GO HUNGRY. That's why the Food Bank is calling attention to this matter...the SNAP amounts are so unrealistically low (and there are so many more people on Food Stamps than they're used to be because of the financial crisis...yes, even five years later) that the Food Bank is trying to desperately make up the difference! I feel that you were somewhat dismissive of the situation that Mr. Liu and others are trying to call attention to. Perhaps you, and others in this city who are doing very well, should also try eating on $6.50 per day?

Jun. 17 2013 10:45 AM
Debra '

Re Food Stamps: Some people may not get enough. But due to a judges ruling several years ago, Mentally ill people living in community psychiatric residences get 3 meals a day -from social security funds which also pays their rent- plus $200 per month- many of them cash it in illegally at bodegas, etc. OUTRAGEOUS

Jun. 17 2013 10:45 AM
Amy from Manhattan

What are the actual differences btwn. the "bare bones" health coverage city workers who don't pay premiums get & what those who do pay them get?

Jun. 17 2013 10:44 AM
antonio from baySide

Would Mr. Liu try to wrestle the MTA from the hands of NY state legislature?

Jun. 17 2013 10:41 AM
damian from Bronx

Please ask Mr. Liu to name the schools that were studied unless no taxpayer money was used in his study.
Damian

Jun. 17 2013 10:38 AM
M from brooklyn

leave the specialized high school tests as they are - it's a fair playing field. even immigrants with no idea of the lay of the land know that they have to devote personal resources towards prepping their kids for the test. those who are failing are those who realize that studying is necessary just 3 days before test day. there is nothing wrong with the test - there is however something wrong with the parents of children who don't do what's necessary.

Jun. 17 2013 10:38 AM
Amy from Manhattan

If Mr. Liu were using actual food stamps/EBT card, he could get an additional percentage (sorry, I don't remember how much) toward purchases at Greenmarkets, according to the posters at the info table. Is he spending the equivalent on his food-stamp budget? Also, is he eating any food from fundraising dinners, or does he consider that cheating?

Jun. 17 2013 10:37 AM
john from office

NYC will long for the Bloomberg days. I thought Mr. Liu was in Jail??

Jun. 17 2013 10:35 AM