All the News That's Fit to Post

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

New York Times reporters Andy Newman and Tina Kelley talk about the new "hyperlocal" websites about Fort Greene/Clinton Hill and Maplewood, Millburn and South Orange, NJ. Question of the Day: What's the Hyperlocal news in your neighborhood? Comment below!

Tina Kelley and Andy Newman
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Marylouise And Robert Dillman from US

Regarding the Toyota recall problem: It's my understanding that the part that is causing the current problem is manufactured by another company, not Toyota. Aren't other car manufacturers purchasing parts from this company. Why don't they recall cars? At Toyota I was told that there are two manufacturers involved and only one causing the problem. Is Toyota the only car company involved?

Feb. 02 2010 08:12 PM
Steven

People just love to complain - why not my place? Why here? Who's paying them?
I've found that in many opinion blogs only 10-15% of posts actually have something useful and the rest are just from unhappy people.

Mar. 23 2009 02:03 PM
Dave R from South Orange

@pynchonsdog,
How right you are. There's now a new blog that aggregates the other blogs: http://www.maplewooddispatch.com

Mar. 06 2009 06:44 AM
sj from Brooklyn, NY

the kensington blog has some interesting up-to-date notes on the neighborhood, and a readership of a few thousand apparently...

Mar. 04 2009 12:13 AM
Norman Oder

Despite Brian's comment that Clinton Hill was "the most blogged neighborhood" in the city, that's not true.

Actually, Prospect Heights is the "bloggiest," and that's because of Atlantic Yards.

More here:

Mar. 03 2009 03:43 PM
ff

agree w maldo/14

Mar. 03 2009 11:54 AM
Michael Shapiro from Millburn, NJ

Great topic! We are actually Millburn's first all-online newspaper, The Alternative Press http://www.thealternativepress.com

We launched in October and have already received over 3,000,000 hits. We currently serve Millburn, Livingston, Summit, Berkeley Heights, and New Providence.

All of our reporters are paid. And they are all from New Jersey, as am I and all other people working for The Alternative Press. We're as local as you can get...

All my best,

Michael Shapiro
Editor, The Alternative Press

Mar. 03 2009 11:53 AM
pynchonsdog

well it's no surprise really considering maplewood is home base for folks who moved east esp 10 or more years ago to work in that juicy NYC journalism industry...what's surprising is that there isn't yet a blog about the blogger community of maplewood!

Mar. 03 2009 11:43 AM
Kirk Petersen from Maplewood, NJ

There actually are FOUR hyperlocal websites focused on Maplewood, NJ now -- NYT is the fourth. It's fascinating that this is all migrating toward this 23,000-citizen corner of New Jersey. More info at http://kirkpete.blogspot.com/2009/03/maplewood-nj-pop-23000-now-has-three.html

Mar. 03 2009 11:08 AM
S.O. Resident from south orange

A few weeks before the Times blog went live, patch.com arrived, covering the same towns. I don't have a problem at all with multiple sites, multiple perspectives. But it's interestig how the on-line message board owner - who was here first - and his posse have absolutely gone ballistic over these developments, and see these sites as such a threat that some are calling for a boycott. Granted anonymous message boards have a certain share of characters and crazies, but, even given that, the amount of collective venom has been surprising.

Mar. 03 2009 11:06 AM
Maldo from Manhattan

Aw, Mr. Lehrer, ignored the salary question. That would have been really interesting to see if the Times is trying to cut payroll costs with this move as well. Wish you'd had the nerve to ask the tough one.

Mar. 03 2009 11:03 AM
sam from Brooklyn

andy newman did a poor job of covering Brooklyn in print, now he gets rewarded by having his own blog?

Mar. 03 2009 10:59 AM
Dennis Carlisle from Westchester

Check out www.getinloop.com - for a terrific example of hyperlocal journalism that really works! covers Larchmont, New Rochelle, Mamaroneck.

Mar. 03 2009 10:58 AM
Angie from Sunnyside, NY

I think it is admirable that these folks are willing to put themselves and other journalists out of work.

Why would they want people to do journalism for free?

Mar. 03 2009 10:58 AM
LIAM from East Elmhurst

Clean up Jackson Heights-it's a pig-stye!
THEY drop it on the ground as soon as-it goes into the storm drain-the sewer backs up.
Who are THEY?
Put aside Liberal hysteria and take a look-just a quick look.
"They no understand."

Mar. 03 2009 10:57 AM
David from Brooklyn

I grew up in South Orange and live in Clinton Hill, and would thus like to salute the New York Times for accommodating my need for news about all things me.

Mar. 03 2009 10:57 AM
MFan from Clinton Hill

As both ClintonHillBlog and Brownstoner pointed out (which are both, in fact, CH-based), it's amusing that the person who they've chosen to cover the neighborhood is in fact a resident of Park Slope. Gee. :)

It's not that this discredits their perspective, but I'm wondering who this is actually for. Us residents who actually care enough to read a blog about our neighborhood and its goings on already have a few options. I can't help but to feel it will be more of an exposition of our home than something useful for those who live here.

Mar. 03 2009 10:56 AM
Tina from West Village

I spent two years in a small northern CA town where I worked occasionally for the West Marin Citizen,a publication that only reported on local events and news. Not sure which newspaper man said this but it rings true. Names, names, names! My editor wanted the articles and accompanying photos to have the names, ages and schools, workplace etc.

People love to see their names, friends, neighbors names and children names in print. It reinforces community connections and connection to the community.

Small is the new big.

Mar. 03 2009 10:55 AM
Olivia from lower Westchester

What about Westchester? Why aren't there any blogs for the county?

Mar. 03 2009 10:54 AM
Brian from Brooklyn

The whole concept has come about because the Times is BROKE. An experiment in cost saving!

Mar. 03 2009 10:53 AM
Maldo from Manhattan

I'm a professional journalist so this question is very important to me: Did Ms. Kelley or Mr. Newman take a pay cut when they moved to blogging instead of writing for the printed New York Times? Or are they making the same salary, or did they get a raise?

Mar. 03 2009 10:50 AM
smidely 1 from

Great idea--so long as the NYTimes sends these neighborhood bloggers to J-School and pays them living wages.

Otherwise it will just be a blogroll of do-gooder dems advocating the conversion of malls to greenspace, with their friendly neighborhood opponents--Rush Republicans--ripping them new ones in the comments sections. Exactly what happened to our local Gannett daily after they fired most of the reporters and editors. The Star Ledger (nj.com) even has an evangelicals' blog -- writing incendiary screed that preaches to the end of the world crowd. Wonder what he gets paid for that?

More simply, imagine this page without Brian Lehrer.

Mar. 03 2009 10:28 AM
Brian from Maplewood

Maplewood Online was an invaluable resource to me and my wife when we made the scary transition from Manhattan to suburban New Jersey a few years ago. Not only was the online community quick to offer helpful suggestions on everything from commuting advice to contractor recommendations, but it provided an entertaining way to discuss and learn more about local politics and events. The friendliness and overall positive spirit of Maplewood's online presence convinced my wife and I that we'd made the right decision in moving here.

I'm not sure how the "competing" (?) sites will fit into the framework established by MOL, but at this point it seems like they can coexist to only enhance my understanding and awareness of my community, instead of diluting it.

Mar. 03 2009 10:12 AM
Hahaha from Manhattan

I used to live in South Orange, NJ and participated (infrequently) on the Maplewood Online (MOL) message boards.

After my divorce, I moved back to Manhattan but still felt an emotional connection to South Orange. Since moving, I've become a daily reader and participant on MOL. It's become an addiction. If I see something interesting on the news, I immediately log on MOL to see if other posters are talking about it - they generally are. If I have an ethics question, a gripe or something I want to rant about or if I just want to talk about the latest episode of Top Chef, I go on MOL. Via MOL, I can also keep up with local politics, neighborhood squabbles and what's going on with downtown development.

What's funny is that I feel more connected to the South Orange/Maplewood community now more than when I lived there.

Mar. 03 2009 09:29 AM