Get Your Gardens Started

Friday, February 27, 2009

It may be freezing outside, but if you want to have a great garden this Spring you have to start planning now. Urban farmer Karen Washington offers some quick tips for would-be gardeners, based on her experience at the Garden of Happiness in The Bronx.

Karen Washington
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Connie Smith from Westchester

I saw narcissus looking very promising yesterday in the Bronx at the Botanical Gardens.m The first hopeful signs where I live in northern Westchester are the weeping willow trees whose branches turn to an yellowish tone. And, every February, flocks of red-winged blackbirds come back. We always hear them chirping among themselves very audibly before we see them!

Feb. 28 2009 02:33 PM
Ellen from Washington Heights

Karen Washington for NYC Mayor!

Feb. 27 2009 05:29 PM
sclark from Ringwood

Saw Crocuses & Snowdrops blooming and tulips popping this morning on W 10th St. Brought a smile.

Feb. 27 2009 11:59 AM
sclark from Ringwood

For Neil & Squirrel problem.
Try any spray with hot pepper oils. I use Deer Out on my roses to stop the local groundhog from eating rosebuds from my small bush. You have to reapply after rain. It's worked for 2 years for me.
I gave up on growing Sunflowers. I couldn't keep up with the rain & daily Groundhog assault.

Feb. 27 2009 11:32 AM
hjs from 11211

I wonder if air pollution should be a concern? does all that stuff in the air get incorporated in the vegetable? I know the bad soil is a concern.

Feb. 27 2009 11:08 AM
Matthew from NYC

Seed or sod? Which one will be more successful in producing a lasting mini field of grass in my garden?

Feb. 27 2009 10:56 AM
Neil from Squirrels!

I have a tub of herbs outside on my fire escape (rosemary, mint, basil - some which have survived the winter, some will need to be replanted) but I have an ongoing battle with a gray squirrel!!

He (or she - who knows) dug up a promising pot of sunflowers that were about to bloom (wanton vandalism!!!) and so we have a conflict of interests! He's got a whole yard to pick and choose from - so allow me my one (or two) pots of herbs and flowers!

Is there ANY way I can keep him off my patch on the fire escape? (Without resorting to violence...)

Feb. 27 2009 10:38 AM