Get Your Gardens Started

Friday, February 27, 2009

It may be freezing outside, but if you want to have a great garden this Spring you have to start planning now. Urban farmer Karen Washington offers some quick tips for would-be gardeners, based on her experience at the Garden of Happiness in The Bronx.

Karen Washington

Connie Smith from Westchester

I saw narcissus looking very promising yesterday in the Bronx at the Botanical Gardens.m The first hopeful signs where I live in northern Westchester are the weeping willow trees whose branches turn to an yellowish tone. And, every February, flocks of red-winged blackbirds come back. We always hear them chirping among themselves very audibly before we see them!

Feb. 28 2009 02:33 PM
Ellen from Washington Heights

Karen Washington for NYC Mayor!

Feb. 27 2009 05:29 PM
sclark from Ringwood

Saw Crocuses & Snowdrops blooming and tulips popping this morning on W 10th St. Brought a smile.

Feb. 27 2009 11:59 AM
sclark from Ringwood

For Neil & Squirrel problem.
Try any spray with hot pepper oils. I use Deer Out on my roses to stop the local groundhog from eating rosebuds from my small bush. You have to reapply after rain. It's worked for 2 years for me.
I gave up on growing Sunflowers. I couldn't keep up with the rain & daily Groundhog assault.

Feb. 27 2009 11:32 AM
hjs from 11211

I wonder if air pollution should be a concern? does all that stuff in the air get incorporated in the vegetable? I know the bad soil is a concern.

Feb. 27 2009 11:08 AM
Matthew from NYC

Seed or sod? Which one will be more successful in producing a lasting mini field of grass in my garden?

Feb. 27 2009 10:56 AM
Neil from Squirrels!

I have a tub of herbs outside on my fire escape (rosemary, mint, basil - some which have survived the winter, some will need to be replanted) but I have an ongoing battle with a gray squirrel!!

He (or she - who knows) dug up a promising pot of sunflowers that were about to bloom (wanton vandalism!!!) and so we have a conflict of interests! He's got a whole yard to pick and choose from - so allow me my one (or two) pots of herbs and flowers!

Is there ANY way I can keep him off my patch on the fire escape? (Without resorting to violence...)

Feb. 27 2009 10:38 AM