At The Alter

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Jonathan Alter, senior editor and columnist for Newsweek magazine, and the author of The Defining Moment: FDR's Hundred Days and the Triumph of Hope, talks politics and Obama's big week.

Jonathan Alter

mo from bronx

The GOP didn’t think twice to pass the $700 Billion stimulus that Bush signed.
They should stop playing politics and work with their president, our president, to help the economic

Feb. 24 2009 10:32 AM
hjs from 11211

the GOP is dead
we are living through a realignment. the GOP will spilt the majority will move to a more centrist party, the palin wing will become a fringe party then disappear.
it's going to be great to watch. RIP

Feb. 24 2009 10:27 AM
Sunshine Hernandez from Bushwick

I think the approach Obama is taking -not as a cheerleader, but as a frank friend who letting you know truthfully how deep we are but that we're gonna get of it and it won't be easy but possible. Especially after years of the Bush administration in denial, i think people truely appreciate his willingness to address that there is a problem - even if we as a people are doubtful of our own personal future. Because of the damage Bush has inflicted on our country he is the gift who keeps on giving even out of office

Feb. 24 2009 10:22 AM
Brett from Long Island City

How does alter know that Obama has a higher IQ than Roosevelt

Feb. 24 2009 10:17 AM
Steven Mark from Manhattan UES

Brilliant book, Jonathan. You posit that FDR didn't have a clue at his Inauguration and it seems true now. But the difference between the two is Obama is so doom and gloom and FDR was a cheerleader. Which do you think is the better approach now?

Feb. 24 2009 10:11 AM
markBrown from sos-newdeal.blogspot.com

I am very frustrated. I totally agree with the concept that we are in a situation just as bad as depression 1.0 (FDR's time). Therefore, my top-ten recommendations were closely extrapolated (and added to--like health care and service and education/childcare)
from FDR's New Deal 1.0.

I think that the Republican party is making a huge misteak in making the public feel that the policies President Obama is undertaking are wrong.

I feel it is partisan, sad, and very offensive that they are attempting to change the discussion to one of "this wont work, we need to reduce tax rates."

I am STILL hopeful that President Obama will introduce what I (still) call the Minimum Millionaires tax (a 1% per Million dollars in GROSS income, as the MINIMUM payable income tax due, for both corporations AND individuals.
That's less then 10,000 per Million dollars in GROSS income....

See my blog (search MMT) for more...

Feb. 24 2009 09:29 AM