YUEI: Pets at Risk

Monday, February 23, 2009

We've gotten several submissions to the Uncommon Economic Indicators series about the effect the recession is having on pets. Stephen L. Zawistowski, Executive Vice President of ASPCA programs and Science Advisor, serves on the Scientific Advisory Committee of Humane Farm Animal Care and the World Society for the Protection of Animals.

Stephen L. Zawistowski

Evon Handras from New York City

There are many options for free and low cost spay/neuter in NYC. Please visit the website for The Mayor's Alliance For NYC's Animals - www.animalalliancenyc.org to get lots of valuable information about the resources available.

May. 13 2009 04:38 PM
susan slome from Brooklyn, N.Y.

NOT ABOUT PETS:
Bowling Green: U.S. Bankruptcy Court
9 AM
Every morning there is a long line of people spilling into the plaza waiting for the doors to open.

Feb. 25 2009 11:12 AM
Teresa from Bronx

I appreciate the ASPCA's free spay/neuter for people on public assistance, but for people who don't have public assistance the cost of the spay/neuter is now $75. In January it was only $25. How can tripling this amount benefit hard working people in these difficult times? I believe the $75 cost covers spay/neuter, rabies, distemper vaccine, and microchipping, thus the cost. But why not just offer what is really necessary spay/neuter and rabies for maybe $50. This will go a long way in helping to control the problem of overpopulation and unwanted pets.

Feb. 24 2009 10:06 AM
Wayne Johnson from Brooklyn

Great topic, thank you for doing this show. Just one thing please don't use the word scary when commenting on pit bulls. As the Michael Vick case definitively demonstrated these dogs are sweet,loyal and no more of a threat than any other dog.

Feb. 23 2009 06:20 PM
mary ellen from brooklyn

An abandoned boa constictor was found in Prospect Park last fall. I came upon it as it was wrapped around the neck of some Aussi snake expert guy when they were taking it into captivity.

Feb. 23 2009 02:13 PM
Yolanda Rivera from Hartsdale, NY

Where or who can I donate food for animals
in need,(pantry etc.) or donate food to a familty who would like to keep their pet but cannot afford too.

Yolanda Rivera
bobyo@optonline.net
yrivera@taylorarchitects.com

Feb. 23 2009 12:18 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I was going to recommend Animal Haven's free (donation requested) clinic at their shelter in Flushing, but I just checked their website (http://www.animalhavenshelter.org/), & it turns out the Flushing location is being closed. I couldn't find any info on whether the NYC location offers vet services to the public or just supplies them for the animals at the shelter. Their FAQ says the closure isn't because of the economic situation, but if you read the whole answer, it sounds kinda iffy.

And speaking of Uncommon Economic Indicators, this isn't pet-related, but today's **1-for-2** pledge match is a first, isn't it?

Feb. 23 2009 12:01 PM
Julie from Brooklyn

The responsibility of having a pet requires the same kind of paradigm shift that America needs to have in terms of spending. I understand a severe economic change, but people must start considering the long-term needs of having a pet and only adopt when they can commit to this care. Although I would like to adopt another pet, I refuse to with an uncertain economic future. I have health insurance for my pet and take her care very seriously.

Feb. 23 2009 11:45 AM
Jeannie

Please let your listeners know about a local program called Safety Net

They can help with food, training, vet, landlord and other issues or expenses, and can provide short or longer term foster care for people who can't keep their pets temporarily.

Its a great program -- People can volunteer to foster a pet too.

Call (917)468-2938

Feb. 23 2009 11:42 AM
Mark from Brooklyn

Two stray pitbulls this week in my Crown Heights neighborhood. Pets people can't afford?

Feb. 23 2009 10:38 AM
Emily from Long Island

I just read this morning that Bideawee will be closing its Wantagh center, and of course we have all heard about how many more animals are being surrendered to shelters because people can't afford to care for them anymore. These innocent creatures are just further victims of the recession that they did not cause but will cause them to suffer nevertheless.
My heart aches for them, and for the people who have to give up a beloved companion because of the cruelties of their financial reality.

Feb. 23 2009 09:19 AM
roses

There is a free veterinary clinic at St Clements Church at 423 west 46th st. I believe its the last Saturday of every month but call 212-246-7277 for details. The clinic offers pets free blood and urine tests, shots, and dental services. A small donation is requested but not required. I know several people who brought their dogs and cats to the clinic last month. They said the line is long, so get there early.

Feb. 22 2009 03:55 PM