Open Phones: Your Tributes to Nelson Mandela

Monday, June 10, 2013

A bronze statue depicting former South African president Nelson Mandela as he walked to freedom in 1990 following his release after 27 years of incarceration. (GIANLUIGI GUERCIA/AFP/Getty Images/Getty)

UPDATE: Nelson Mandela, Inspiration To World, Dies At 95

South African leader Nelson Mandela remains in a hospital, two days after being admitted with a recurring lung infection. The 94-year-old is in serious condition, and South Africans are beginning to offer their tributes to his life. The country's largest paper quotes a that a friend of the family has said it's "time to let him go." While we hope for his full recovery, we begin to gather your memories of Nelson Mandela. Call 212-433-9692 with your tributes, or post here.

Santos Murillo from Kearny, NJ

The embodiment of bravery, compassion and vision in one individual is so rare in our history. I am fortunate to be born during the time that he graced us with his presence.

Dec. 06 2013 09:36 AM
davie from NJ

He seemed to possess something that is missing in many leaders-common sense.

Dec. 06 2013 08:28 AM
Dr. Zandile Nkabinde from Bayonne, NJ

Madiba we wish you well and thanks for teaching us South Africans and the whole world the gift of forgiveness. May your legacy last for eternity. Your sacrifices gave birth to freedom and because of your sacrifices and that of many others South Africa is a better place for all South Africans. Enkosi!!!!!

Jun. 18 2013 06:06 PM
DTorres from Manhattan

Nelson Mandela, sacrificed his personal freedom, risked his life
to free his people from injustice under Apartheid.
However, since Apartheid, White people, in South Africa, have had
and are having a really hard time of it.
The Black South Africans have taken their revenge.
There was a proposal by the South African government to revoke
the BEE Non Profit Status of South African Charities that help,
even a single White child. Even though the BEE proposal, did not go
through, the effects were still felt, because SA Charities that help
White kids lose money.

Jun. 11 2013 12:58 AM
Susanna Teemer from Montclair, NJ

Nelson Mandela is an inspiration. He has continuously taught us hope... compassion...discipline and determination... leadership, courage and strength. And Mandela has done it with such powerful gentleness and wonderful humor! God bless him and his loved ones at this difficult time.

Jun. 10 2013 11:48 AM
Amy from Manhattan

On the one hand, I greatly respect Pres. Mandela's decision not to run for another term. On the other, looking at his successors & the what's happened in South Africa since then, esp. the denial of the HIV/AIDS connection & the resulting spread of the disease, I kind of wish he had stayed in office.

Jun. 10 2013 11:36 AM
antonio from baySide

Death watch? Who thought of doing this? Sorry but Sub-par.

Jun. 10 2013 11:30 AM
sanych

"... body turns to dust..."

Any plans for embalming him and keeping the body on display in a mausoleum - like Lenin or Ho Chi Min?

Jun. 10 2013 11:30 AM
Amy from Manhattan

At the time Nelson Mandela was released, a couple who were dancers w/Dance Theater of Harlem lived in my building. Not much later, DTH went to perform in South Africa for the 1st time, & they & their son, then 2 or 3 years old, met Nelson Mandela. After they got back, I talked to 1 of them about the experience, & he was almost rhapsodic about it. I'm sorry I can't remember specifically what he said (I tried to call him & let him know about this segment, but I got his voice mail!)--the main thing I remember is his seeing his hero holding his little son.

Jun. 10 2013 11:29 AM
sheamus from NYC

In a way - you are sending a positive vibe/energy to this man and it may just help strengthen his condition in hospital.

Jun. 10 2013 11:28 AM
Robert from NYC

hahahahahahaaaa lol Oh, there's the rationalization for this "tribute" we'll do what you friend said she wants! LOL
Do you think Nelson Mandela heard you all in his bed?

Jun. 10 2013 11:28 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Yes, the persistent race wealth/opportunity divide reveals the limitations of his approach. But one, great person can't do it all.

Jun. 10 2013 11:25 AM
sanych

What about those dinners he had with Naomi Campbell, Mia Farrow and Charles Taylor where Taylor - a war criminal - was giving away blood diamonds?

Did Mandela got some from him?

Jun. 10 2013 11:24 AM
Robert from NYC

NO NO NO you wait until he dies... hopefully not soon. Shall we have tributes to you? I mean you can get hit by a car and get killed (goodness forbid!)!

Jun. 10 2013 11:19 AM
PJ from NJ

He also spoke out eloquently against to occupation and dr humanization of the Palestinian people.

Jun. 10 2013 11:16 AM
RJ from prospect hts

Mandela is extraordinary first for the 27 years he sustained and his approach to postapartheid Africa. He is also critical for representing *all* off the leaders--especially the unsung--of the antiapartheid movement. Ellen Kuzwayo, the only woman in the leadership of the ANC, who died a few years ago; Athol Fugard, the still-living white playwright, author of Sizwe Banzi is Dead, and the actors he worked with; Ezekiel Mphahlele, a township English teacher who, in exile, began a trans-African center to cultivate African writers from throughout the diaspora ... As one of the few survivors of that era, he also embodies these people among many, many more.

Jun. 10 2013 11:14 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

He "was" (he's still alive) a very good, indeed great man, and gave hope that interracial amity was possible. I wish the new South Africa well.

Jun. 10 2013 11:10 AM
fuva from harlemworld

I know you mean well BL Show, but I am also creeped out...
On another note:
The lung infection that Madiba is suffering from is a result of the TB he contracted while wrongfully imprisoned for 27 years. It exemplifies the very long, deadly tail of oppression/terror that we continue to ignore at our peril.

Jun. 10 2013 11:02 AM
sheamus from nyc

this is creepy. very.
you can't wait for the man to die first? what's the rush...
I lived in S.A. when Mandela was released from prison, it was a big big deal but the following day at school, we were not allowed to speak of it. My teachers were not allowed to discuss politics with us. My dad watched it on tv and knew precisely how significant Mandela's release would be. my dad watched with great excitement, he hated apartheid.

Jun. 10 2013 10:53 AM
kikakiki

Give me my flowers while I can STILL smell them. If the tributes are for him, shouldn't he be alive to hear/see them

Jun. 10 2013 10:19 AM
Robert from NYC

I think this is creepy. The man has not died! We should wait for tributes to people after they die not while they are ailing in hospital and may very well may recover as I hope happens with President Mandela. I think it's insulting. He has my highest respect and good wishes for a quick recovery.

Jun. 10 2013 10:03 AM