NYC's Five-Borough Taxi Hail Plan Can Move Forward: Court

Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 11:46 AM

The green taxis in the outer boroughs finally have a green light.  New York's highest court has okayed New York City's 5-boro taxi plan, after a year and a half of litigation by New York's powerful yellow cab industry.

As a result, New York City can move forward with its plans to create a new class of taxi service, expanding "street hails" to all five boroughs.

In a decision issued Thursday, the state's Court of Appeals reversed a previous decision by the State Supreme Court which had brought the city's plans to a screeching halt.

Under the new ruling, the city can now issue up to 18,000 'hail licenses' to livery drivers. In addition, the city will sell 2,000 new medallions for wheelchair-accessible yellow taxicabs. The city has said that auction could generate $1 billion in revenue.

The mayor's office whipped off several victorious tweets about the ruling, the most ebullient of which read "Unanimous court decision upholding Five-Boro Taxi Plan is a victory for everyone who lives in, works in or visits New York City."

The Metropolitan Taxicab Board of Trade, one of the plaintiffs in the suit, called the ruling "a crushing blow."

Read the court's ruling below.

Tags:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

mohammad shahid from brooklyn

I love green cab

Apr. 14 2014 07:30 AM
Asim from Brooklyn

I love green cab
Thanks for it

Feb. 02 2014 07:27 AM
ashraf from nyc astoria

i like it how can i apply for

Sep. 17 2013 04:47 PM
Shamsul alam from Brooklyn ny

I want green car

Sep. 11 2013 12:03 AM
GR from queens nyc

I want to apply for a Green taxi

Jul. 16 2013 10:56 PM
tounkara from Bronx

i like it how can i apply for ?

Jul. 02 2013 05:26 PM
Wilbur from Brooklyn Ny.

How do I apply for a Cab.

Jul. 01 2013 09:27 AM
Abu Faisal SHIPU from Bronx

I want to apply for a Green taxi

Jun. 26 2013 11:55 PM
Jahangir HUSAN

I want to apply for this green taxi cab.

Jun. 22 2013 01:17 PM
jihny

there will be no cab drivers working...thats fact.no one will make money.it will be just to many taxis and no income to cabbies.this i guarantee

Jun. 18 2013 08:57 PM
John from Brooklyn

This is great. I lived in Manhattan for my entire time in NYC until about 3 years ago. The hardest part about moving out of Manhattan was the lack of cabs to hail while on the street and I know many many people who feel the same way. This is wonderful news.

Jun. 08 2013 08:24 PM
exier from Washington heights

I regret working in Bloomberg campaign this is the stupidest plan ever can't wait until he gets out of office

Jun. 08 2013 12:28 PM
hasanrubayet29@yahoo.com

The price of medallion will go down the drain now watch ?

Jun. 06 2013 10:12 PM
Kalim

Wow, I wonder what kind of affect this will have on yellow cab drivers and overall traffic in the city. Moreover, who would I contact if I wanted to buy a medallion?

Jun. 06 2013 02:07 PM