Brooklyn DA Effect

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Is "Brooklyn DA" just another documentary show, or does it count as a violation of election-year equal time? Jami Floyd legal analyst and sometimes guest host for the Brian Lehrer Show, talks about the controversy over the CBS program, Charles Hynes' reelection campaign, and more.

Jami Floyd

Wow! Did Jamie Floyd just "dis" Law and Order??? YOU GO GIRL!!!

I couldn't agree more!!!!!!!

YEA WNYC!! I didn't really care for her commentary but NOW!!!

Jun. 02 2013 11:57 AM

1) Why would anyone turn to CBS for a documentary on anything? Or NBC? Or ABC?

2) Of course it's a reality show. Everything on mainstream media is nothing but a show. Well, I should say network broadcasting mainstream media. I use WNYC and the New York Times, which is mainstream media, and they are trustworthy.

Jamie Floyd actually proves my point as she elaborates. Sharing her experience in journalism (ABC) she stated "how are we going to make this entertaining and compelling because it's a news story...." "...and I agree it gets dangerously close to the line of reality TV...

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... it can't be a documentary.

Just in time to have an answer for all the corruption? Clearly the Brooklyn DA's office needs all the help it can get.

Jun. 02 2013 11:53 AM
Soldier's Father from Westchester, NY

To BL Moderator: So you take down my two comments posted during the show with some mild criticism of Ms. Floyd as a host and guest, but you leave up Sue K's comment (posted 6+ hours after the show is off the air) praising her for the same two roles? That's really fair and balanced of you.

And just to make sure I am on topic for you -- I know and like Joe Hynes, but still feel airing the Brooklyn DA show during an election year is unfair.

May. 30 2013 11:09 AM
sue k from long island

i think that this was a great segment. i don't agree with jami floyd at all about this point but i think she is a great guest and a great guest host. please have her back.

May. 29 2013 06:57 PM

[[We've removed a couple comments that violate the WNYC posting policy -- which asks that you stay on topic to the conversation taking place on air. If you have a comment about programming choices on WNYC, feel free to contact Listener Services at 646-829-4000

Thanks,
-BL Producer-]]

May. 29 2013 10:43 AM
jf from here

take that back hadn't seen it

May. 29 2013 10:41 AM
jf from reality

It is all propaganda, like cops, like all cop shows (free props and funding from nypd)All hollywood movies (that get free props and funding from the department of defence for heroizing the war machine.)

May. 29 2013 10:26 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

The timing is suspicious. The longest campaign commercial in history.

May. 29 2013 10:22 AM
Hugh

It was ABC that made its news division part of entertainment (until public condemnation forced a managment reversal).

What happens when a defense attorney argues that the show constitutes jury tampering?

And what about the decades of reports of the corruption of Hines?

May. 29 2013 10:20 AM
Mona from Manhattan

It doesn't matter that Hynes does not appear; the title of the show is "The Brooklyn DA", not "The Brooklyn DA's Office"

May. 29 2013 10:17 AM
Stephanie from Brooklyn

In 2000 I worked on a show produced for A&E about the Brooklyn DA's office. I don't remember there being this kind of kerfuffle over that one. It seems like Hynes likes to get PR for his office.

May. 29 2013 10:17 AM
Roberta from Brooklyn

I can't believe I stayed up to watch this. I wouldn't worry too much if I were running against Hynes.

May. 29 2013 10:02 AM