Caroline Kennedy Drops Out

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Ken Lovett, Daily News Albany bureau chief, talks about Caroline Kennedy's decision to remove her name from consideration for Hillary Clinton's Senate seat.

Ken Lovett

seth from Long Island

David Patterson needs to wrap things up and make a decision already. He's dragged things out long enough.

Jan. 22 2009 11:49 AM
hjs from 11211

if that family name comes with "connections" isn't that helpful to the state?

Jan. 22 2009 10:41 AM
mc from Brooklyn

Leo #11
Agreed. I realize there is a concern that the individual has to then run in 2010 and again in 2012, but if he or she has support from the other people on the ticket and comes into the senate really ready, there is a good chance for election in '10. I think there is not enough outside-the-city representation.

Jan. 22 2009 10:35 AM
mc from Brooklyn

David #10
Agreed. While family name means that there is no level playing field in electoral politics, at least Cuomo and Clinton won statewide elections. If someone is appointed because of a family name, that's even more distasteful.

On the Takeaway, Brian I think it was, mentioned that some people think that Barack Obama was pushing for Kennedy. That does nothing for me. This is not about him or who supported him in the primaries, it is about NY. No favors please.

Jan. 22 2009 10:25 AM
Leo from Queens

MC #9 - I agree. He should find someone from outside the City. - There is too much inbreeding in this City. Suozzy is a good choice or a real leader from upstate.

Jan. 22 2009 10:24 AM
DAVID from NYC

Family name should not be a reason for anyone to feel they are deserving of any public office, but as we all know deals are made behind closed doors without public knowledge.
New Yorker's are not stupid we all know Andrew Cuomo will be appointed to the Senate seat, so Gov. Paterson can remove him as a challenger for Governer its all politics.

Jan. 22 2009 10:17 AM
mc from Brooklyn

Leo #7
It sure looks that way to me. I don't think any of that really shows the character of NYC, and furthermore, as I said before, NY is a big state. What about a brand from outside the city?

Jan. 22 2009 10:16 AM
Michael from Green Wood Heights, Brooklyn

I need a job, so I'd be glad to take the Senate gig. The problem is that I couldn't fint the 20-odd page vetting questionaire on the Governor's website!

Jan. 22 2009 10:15 AM
Leo from Queens

Post #3 - MC From Brooklyn:

To Mr. Bloomberg, politics and government is about 'branding' and selling. It's all business to him. The City has been governed the same way - his 'development' projects are only about what's hip and cool and what is 'marketable'. NOT what is good for the City's development long term.

Jan. 22 2009 10:13 AM
C.G. from Manhattan

Defense of Paterson

Is it appropriate to say that Gov. Paterson was not elected to statewide office when as Lt. Governor he was elected statewide to replace the governor when required?

Jan. 22 2009 10:13 AM
David from Great Neck

How about Tom Suozzi? Would be great pick. Also recall Schumer ALSO on the ballot for regular re-elction. Brian was wrong when he said Paterson would pick a new AG if Cuomo Jr. were picked. Actually, Speaker Silver would pick like he picked Controller Tom DiNapoli.

Jan. 22 2009 10:12 AM
Leo from Queens

Governor Patterson has really dragged this on needlessly. It is an embarrassment. The governor at first seemed to hold promise but I think that there is a lot fo grandstanding going on.

Jan. 22 2009 10:11 AM
mc from Brooklyn

What does Bloomburg mean by a "New York brand?" Someone like him from the East Side who is fabulously wealthy? The reason I originally opposed Hillary's run in 2000 was because she did not seem in any way "New York." But she ran, she was not appointed, and I voted for her because I preferred her over her opponents. Then she worked like a dog the way she will at the State Dept. and surprised the heck out of me by being a good senator. What is a "New York brand?" New York is a big state. Caroline never did it for me. Let her run. I might very well vote for her as I did Hillary, depending on her opponents.

Jan. 22 2009 10:09 AM
David from Great Neck

Well, how about Tom Suozzi? He's dynamic, effective and has been a great Nassau County Executive! Remember, Schumer is ALSO on the ballot in 2010 for regular re-election. (For sure, Paterson isn't running a Blago-like auction....or could he?)

Jan. 22 2009 10:09 AM
Daniel Gr from Munich, Germany

The NYTimes wrote: “She has pluses and minuses,” Mr. Paterson said in a radio interview earlier this month, adding that Ms. Kennedy “has a tremendous relationship with the president and that’s certainly a plus. She does not have much legislative experience, which is a minus.”

If her great plus is that she knows Obama (so great a plus that it trumps lack of experience), wouldn't the best choice really be Michelle Obama?

Jan. 22 2009 10:08 AM