Open Phones: Making Mid-Life Friends

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Yesterday we heard about the "State of Friendship 2013" -- and the "mid-life friendship slump" for people in their 30s through 60s. Have you made a friend in the middle years? Call in 212-433-9692!

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

clive betters

isabel, is not an idiot- she's honestly stating, a very real cultural specific context. don't shoot her,she's just a messenger. i did not get the idea, that she necessarily agrees with it. it just is;in the military, and in other places around the world.

May. 23 2013 01:18 PM
clive betters

brian-get away from the mic,the first caller was referring to guys sweating together,not blowing into woodwinds. it's how i bonded on the basketball court as a kid. no stupid words to get in the way. guys touching outside of a sexual context[for all sexual preferences,btw]; is a much needed, healthy thing. leave the bloody horn at home...

May. 23 2013 12:38 PM
Marisa

I am so fortunate that I have been able to make great friends in my mid thirties. After a break-up a few years ago, I connected with other single women and started a new phase of life. One woman is a neighbor, one a former co-worker, one an alumnae of my grad school, and others friends of friends..... It is different and more difficult in some ways than when I was younger. But I also feel like the friendships are deep and rich.
And I actually wish I had more male friends! I like what male friendships can offer.

May. 23 2013 12:01 PM
Michael from brooklyn

YOU GOTTA CLOSE THIS SEGMENT OUT WITH THIS SONG!!

May. 23 2013 11:58 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Maybe that 'no-cross-sex-friendship' woman's view has been corrupted by her military experience; maybe the men there are somewhat different...

May. 23 2013 11:58 AM
Caitlin

One of my best friends is my former roommate's former co-worker's former roommate's ex-girlfriend!

May. 23 2013 11:56 AM
Phoebe from Bushwick

The idea that you can't be friends with the opposite sex is outdated and fairly offensive. Its doesn't give either sex the credit they deserve. I am a woman with many male friends. They are intelligent and have the ability to see me as more than a sex object. We can connect through shared interests and intelligent conversation. Not everything is about sex.

May. 23 2013 11:56 AM
Robert from NYC

Isabel, you're an idiot! Get help.

May. 23 2013 11:54 AM