Paul Theroux's Ultimate African Safari

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Celebrated travel writer Paul Theroux first went to Africa as a 22-year-old Peace Corps volunteer, and the pull of the continent never left him. In The Last Train to Zona Verde: My Ultimate African Safari, he tells what it was like to return, after 50 years on the road, to explore the little-traveled territory of western Africa and to take stock both of the place and of himself.

Paul Theroux

super88

Unbelievably great segment. The only negative is that they did not talk for another hour or two, I would have loved to have seen where this conversation went! Stunning even for Lopate.

May. 30 2013 03:51 PM
john from office

Yes becky, Africa is a paradise, like the lion king. Everyone is noble and pleasent.

May. 23 2013 01:01 PM
great

Great segment!!!

I rode for hours with my brand new language (French) when I was still but a teen - a fellow from Cameroon was on his way to Geneva where he was studying finance - He tried and tried to teach me to click (through French, our common language)

I also spent time in brutally rural Latin America - "third world" - so long ago

May. 23 2013 12:58 PM
The Truth from Becky

OMGoodness! Charming character...not

May. 23 2013 12:57 PM

I found Theroux's irascibility rather charming in small doses, as in "Great Railway Bazaar." But his unpleasantness seemed to overtake and seriously cloud the other books I've read. It's a shame that this one, which seems to invite a bad reaction, doesn't really seem unique in tone.

He sounds much more pleasant than he reads, imo.

May. 23 2013 12:51 PM
DAN MASON from manhattan

I am a Paul Theroux addict! I wonder what the worst thing he ever ate was? Maybe it was in US? Ha!!

May. 23 2013 12:51 PM
The Truth from Becky

WOW, I can't wait to go to Africa! "from one hell hole to another"! Wow, now he is back peddling on the comment.

May. 23 2013 12:50 PM