Judge Kaye Retires

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

When then Governor Mario Cuomo appointed Judge Judith Kaye to the New York State Court of Appeals in 1983 she was the first woman to serve on the state's highest court. Now 25 years later she has served longer than any other chief judge in New York history. On the eve of her retirement, Judge Judith Kaye, Chief Judge of the State of New York, joins us to reflect on her time on the bench.

Judge Judith Kaye

william galison from manhattan

I am astonished to hear all this rhapsodizing about Judith Kaye. New York State is widely considered to have the most corrupt judiciary n the Nation. Anyone who gas ever tried to report abuses in the system to Judge Kaye knows that complaints are ignored or answered with irrelevant form letters.

There is a federal investigation underway which will expose the extent of the chaos over which Judge has presided.

Those interested should check out:

www.exposecorruptcourts.blogspot.com

Jan. 12 2009 10:55 AM
Elizabeth R. Baecher from Mount Kisco, New York

Forced retirement because of age sounds highly discriminatory and should be deemed unconstitutional. The late US Senator Strom Thurmond was hitting the 100 mark before stepping down and Supreme Court justices are appointed for life. Not only is Justice Kaye victimized for having reached 70, so is society for being deprived of a wise and competent leader.

Dec. 30 2008 06:26 PM
Owen from Rochester

Good interview. It's rare to get inside the head of a judge, even though judges have so much power over our lives.

Dec. 30 2008 10:30 AM
david from NYC

Judge Kaye, how do you feel about abolishing the rockefeller laws.

Dec. 30 2008 10:27 AM
Michael from Manhattan

I had the privileged opportunity to meet Judge Kaye in her chambers last year, when my Professor, Judge Rosenblatt (a former colleague of Judge Kaye's), took our law school class on a trip to the courthouse in Albany. Judge Kaye was a model judge both on the bench and off, given her intellect and demeanor. She showed respect to all parties in front of her at all times. It is unfortunate that the court is losing such a positive individual.

Dec. 30 2008 10:27 AM
Chris from Manhattan

Please thank Judge Kaye for all she has done. I have lived both upstate and downstate and what she has done to improve the NYS court system is tremendous.
I will never forget her name!

Dec. 30 2008 10:27 AM
Fred from Brooklyn

I second R. Bennett's comment! Judge Kay would be a great choice to serve out the term. The state could then have reasonable election for the seat.

Letter writing campaign!

Dec. 30 2008 10:26 AM
Modus Ponens from Woodside

Does C.J. Kaye have any plans to teach or lecture on the law, perhaps at one of NYS's public schools (SUNY Buffalo or CUNY)?

Dec. 30 2008 10:26 AM
Alison HAber from Manhattan

I agree with the listner who suggests Judge Kaye to run for Senator BUT I feel she would be best served in NYC public education!! We need intelligent people like Judge K in our PEd System! Whatever she does may she be happy and enjoy her "retirement"!!! Happy, healthy 2009!!

PS - what happens if you don't answer your call for jury duty!!??? I am a working mom who has a hard time going but would be happy to when I AM RETIRED!!! and kids are (hopefully) out of the home!!! THX!

Dec. 30 2008 10:26 AM
O from Forest Hills

Talk about divorce law.

Why in NY state do we have the ridiculous 5 year limit on domestic violence. Brady v. Brady, the woman was married for 25 years to an abusive man and they wouldn't give her a divorce. Oh, she lived with it this long so she can stay in the marriage.

NY divorce law needs to be reformed big time!

You guys should read the adultery law, if you even touch someone without having sex but it is for "sexual gratification" it is considered adultery. so, yes a lap dance can count. Indeed!

Dec. 30 2008 10:24 AM
Marty from Park Slope

I hope that divorce law is reformed soon. In addition to not having no fault divorce, NY state is one of the few that is extremely punitive because there is no precedent for joint custody.

Dec. 30 2008 10:17 AM
Gene from Manhatan

Why should everyone be seated on a jury? It's not fair to people who are freelancers to get put on a trial that could go on for weeks. There is no exception for people who work freelance. I have nver been seated on a trial, and am fine with it that way, every day I would spend sitting on that trial is lost money for me. There are plenty of people who want to get picked for a jury, let them sit on the trials.

Dec. 30 2008 10:17 AM
R. Bennett from Pelham, NY

Judge Kaye's experience and common sense would be a great asset for New York in the U.S. Senate. Would she consider serving out the remainder of Senator Clinton's term, or at least for two years until the special election is held?

Dec. 30 2008 10:17 AM
John from Jersey City, NJ

I reported for Jury Duty two weeks ago in Brooklyn. I was impressed with the interior design and amenities of the courthouse. Wi-fi, cushioned seats in the waiting area, computer lab, etc. The snack machine stole my quarter, though.

Dec. 30 2008 10:17 AM
Isaac from Brooklyn

Hi,

Could you explain how the pool was selected before it was reformed? It seemed like I was called almost every year at one time while my cohorts/peers were not. This was infuriating. Thank you.

Dec. 30 2008 10:15 AM
R. Bennett from Pelham, NY

Judge Kaye's experience and common sense would be a great asset for New York in the U.S. Senate. Would she consider serving out Senator Clinton's term, or at least for two years until the special election will be held?

Dec. 30 2008 10:15 AM
RJ from Brooklyn

As a self-employed person, I would be willing to serve if I could afford to. I cannot live on $40 a day.

Dec. 30 2008 10:12 AM
Britta Betzin from Cortlandt Manor, NY

Why are permanent citizens exempted from being on a jury? I'd love to serve, but cannot due to my not being a citizen. bb

Dec. 30 2008 10:12 AM
Hugh from Crown Heights

If New York legislators believe that mandatory retirement serves some purpose, perhaps they should retire at 70. Joseph Bruno would have been out 9 years ago.

Dec. 30 2008 10:04 AM
George from Bay Ridge

Can you talk about the proposal for a state public defender?

Dec. 30 2008 04:10 AM