The Transportation Nation Bike Advice Project

Friday, May 24, 2013 - 04:00 AM

WNYC

With bike share beginning in NYC, potentially thousands of people will be biking New York who haven't ever done so before. They need advice. Let's give them some. Listen to some tips -- and upload your own -- inside.

And for everything else you wanted to know, click here.

Agree? Disagree? Surprised by that last one? Let us know.

Then record yourself giving one piece of advice to new cyclists in New York City and we might play it on the air on WNYC. Scroll down to see what everyone else said.

Upload your audio here. Or record it right now, on this page.

To leave your own advice, think up what you want to say, (maybe practice once or twice) then plug in a mic to your computer, hit the "REC" button below in the box and start talking. (Smart phones work too.) Add a snappy title, include your name, and hit submit. That's it!

If you have another way to record, then just send us the file here.

Here's a sampling of what we've gotten so far. Which is your favorite?

Tags:

Michael Greeby from chicago, il

Although I currently live in Chicago, I felt implored to contribute as we have recently had an explosion of new shared cycling centers (as provided and managed by Divy - a cool concept) appear throughout the City.

1) Urban cycling is for experts only.
Riding in the city is like heli-skiing in the back country. You better know what you are doing and be prepared for the worst as you are on your own. As so many other contributors rightly commented, urban drivers have so many distractions (justified or otherwise) that they do not or will not see you. Be forewarned - this is dangerous.

2) Bring and wear a helmet.
Regrettably, most out-of-towner sub-urban tourists will be Kermit the Frogging their way around the City without a lid admiring all that is great to enjoy around them. An inexperienced, unfamiliar, and unprotected rider is destined for tragedy. Please wear a helmet - one just saved the life of one of my dear friends, an experienced cyclist, who was cut off by a cab and crashed so hard into a parked car that the helmet actually cracked off his head. Ambulance, hospital, brain swelling, loss of memory, challenges walking, rehabilitation, 4 week hospital recovery and therapy - please no one else.

3. Obey the rules of the road.
Do not run red lights. Do not run stop signs. Do not pass stopped traffic on the right. Do not disobey one-ways. Do not wander, drift or veer. Do not make sudden unpredictable moves. Do not NOT signal. Do not think that you are superior to cars (you'll lose every time). If we want the privilege of riding on the streets, obey the rules.

Please - be safe.

Sep. 18 2013 11:25 PM
April from New York, NY

Cyclists, please don't sit IN the crosswalk while you're waiting for the light to change! Stop in front of or behind it.

Thank you from a fellow cyclist—we don't need any more bad press!

Sep. 17 2013 09:52 AM
BJK from Queens

Just heard Colin Firth's instructions on giving turn signals when on a bike.
The advice is flawed, and potentially hazardous: the left hand is always the signaling hand.
Traffic dictates that cyclists try to avoid faster car traffic by riding as far to the right of the road as safely possible.
A right turn is an upright 'L', as stated; a left turn is the arm straight to the left.
The benefit of using the left hand is greater visibility of the signal to car traffic behind (and usually to the left) of you, and lessening the possibility of striking (or being struck by) anything to the right.

Illustration of these signals is here:

Jun. 01 2013 06:00 PM
Riding from Day One

Indeed, lots of good advice below. The best emphasizes both your rights as a cyclist and your responsibilities.
And just to reiterate: If you have any brains in your head, make sure they stay there...wear a helmet.

Jun. 01 2013 08:48 AM
Pat from Harlem from Harlem

I've been riding in NYC for 30 years. Drivers sense intimidated cyclists and will take advantage. You as a cyclist have as much right to use the streets as they have. Ride a doors width away from parked cars. This will help prevent you from getting doored. Make eye contact with drivers and pedestrians especially if rolling a red light after making sure its clear. My biggest problem has been drivers that turn directly in front of me forcing me to jam on my brakes in order to avoid a collision. some even honk their horn thinking they then have the right to cut you off. I usually stand my ground sometimes resulting in a broken side mirror (they break off VERY easily) We need better driver education.

May. 30 2013 01:06 PM
Aloysious Farquart from Whitehall MT

If you ride a bike in traffic my advice, after +100K road miles and being hit 3 times in crosswalks in the span of 2 weeks, is to get a psychological evaluation, and review your health and life insurance policies.

Ever look for something for 5 minutes and find it right under your nose?

Ever have a motorist apparently look right at you, then pull right out in front of you anyway?

Ever hear of a motorist slamming right into a parked cop car with its lights going?

Ever hear of a motorist turning L right in front of oncoming traffic?

Ever hear of a motorist managing to be hit by a train?

Are you familiar with inattentional blindness, and/or change blindness?

Think you're immune, on both ends...? Get your head examined.

May. 30 2013 11:05 AM
Jon L from NYC

A very simple comment, yet one that has kept me alive with over 150,000 commuter miles
YOU ARE INVISIBLE ON A BICYCLE !

May. 30 2013 10:49 AM
Alexis D from Bk

Never pass a moving truck.

Delivery trucks, buses, white and blue access-a-ride half pint schoolbuses -- they can't see. Plus, they frequently make abrupt right turns or pull close to the right (or left) side of the road without warning. Stay just behind them until they stop, then get ahead of them. You can survive a collision with a Fiat, but getting pinned between a parked car and a truck is a lousy way to go.

May. 29 2013 10:08 PM
Eddie Brown from New York, NY

Walk, subway, or cab. For crying out loud, why bother with the hassle of a bike??

May. 29 2013 09:27 PM
Bruce from a cute town in Northern NJ

To brighten up your hands, consider orange gloves. Light construction gloves work pretty well.

(This works in the suburbs:) In addition to traditional directional hand signals, you can sometimes meet someone's eye and point to indicate where you're trying to go.

May. 29 2013 09:23 PM
Carin from NYC

New riders, practice in closed parking lots or blacktopped playgrounds. Ride at off peak. You only need an hour of practice.
When riding on the street with a child following on the sidewalk, always let everyone else pass you. Walk your bike through an intersection if you're running the light, as if you were a pedestrian with a large suitcase, crossing against traffic.
Enjoy!

May. 29 2013 09:19 PM
Eva-Lynn Podietz from New York, NY

I am frustrated by impolite and dangerous cyclists--so frustrated that I've started a petition on change.org. http://www.change.org/petitions/enforce-prohibition-of-bicyclists-unlawfully-riding-on-sidewalks-and-park-paths

Here's my advice for cyclists, for the DOT, the police, etc., etc.

Please, along with the encouragement of cycling as an alternative means of transportation and recreation, mandate cyclists' traffic and safety education. This is especially important now with the advent of bike lanes and bike-sharing. More cyclists will be hitting the trails, and if/when they violate the law and endanger others, they should be fined and obligated to take bicycle etiquette and safety training.

The new signs in Central Park instructing cyclists not to ride on paths are almost useless since this prohibition is not enforced. Many people do not understand what a path is. It would be better to have pictures of cyclists dismounting and walking their bicycles. Not all tourists speak English, and they do not obey these signs. Random or constant enforcement of this regulation needs to be implemented so that riders will take it seriously. Let's do something before more people and pets are injured.
Let's promote good will and safety.

This was my action after a particularly bad Sunday encounter with a psycho biker: I was strolling slowly with my 15 year old blind dog and
my foster puppy on Central Park West. I encountered a helmet-wearing cyclist on CPW @ 81st st. He was riding his bike, with his dog on a 6-foot leash on his side. His bike rack was full of sports equipment. I told him in a quiet tone that what he was doing was illegal. He called me a Cu@t & a bi#ch and continued to ride into the park on the path--where it is posted he should not be riding. He not only made my morning unpleasant, but he was endangering his dog, my dogs, and me. If the police would do random enforcement of the law prohibiting riders over the age of 12 from riding on sidewalks, and if the Central Park Conservancy would enforce and make understood the rules that people cannot ride on paths (no one "gets" that the paved trails in the park are also known as paths), then there would be more pleasant and safe places for people to enjoy the City.

Sincerely,

May. 29 2013 08:53 PM
Maggy from WEst 49th Street

Please signal when turning just to let others know, particulary on left turns.

May. 29 2013 07:16 PM
Mark S. in BK from Brooklyn

Ride safely.

Pay attention.

Head On A Swivel. Scan all around you. Being aware of your surroundings will help keep you safe.

Be observant. Be observant of your surroundings. Be observant of traffic signs and signals.

Do not go against traffic.

Assume nothing, except that drivers and pedestrians DO NOT see you and that they DO NOT have your best interest at heart.

Watch out for cars turning, as you approach intersections.

Watch out for cars pulling over to pick up and drop off, anywhere.

Watch out for doors flying open. Don't get "doored".

Listen to your environmnet, not your iPod/phone.

Get out of the flow of all traffic, including pedestrian, if you must use your phone.

Don't get too cute, or aggressive.

You are not in your car. You can get crushed like a bug.

Did I say "Pay attention"?

May. 29 2013 07:02 PM
Sandy from Park Slope

You can get LED bike lights that can be fastened to your helmet, front and back. They can be set to blink. As both a cyclist and driver of a car, I appreciate the visibility of these lights, which are higher up than the bike light and not obscured by whatever you are carrying. They attract the attention of the motorist in a way that plain bikes do not.

Drivers: leave more space than you might think necessary to your right when you pass a biker.

May. 29 2013 06:57 PM
Diane from NJ

Listen to the advice of the veterans. BE CONSIDERATE as well as assertive. Try not to do anything "stupid" so that your action becomes a reason for fewer people to bike and more drivers and peds to complain. We need to do this for our planet, and to encourage more US cities to get with the global program where biking is a norm.

May. 29 2013 06:33 PM
Steven from Uptown

Awareness is key. Use the bell on the Citibike a lot. Let cars and pedestrians know you're coming through. Slow down when it gets really crowded near intersections. Don't be afraid to take up a regular car lane. It's your right to do so, just be smart and fair and keep moving at a good clip. Just started my citi riding today. The crowd response has been amazing. NYC is about to change in a major way next week when it opens to the public. East-West travel is no longer a nightmare. Go Citibike go! Come to Harlem please.

May. 29 2013 06:01 PM
seth from East Village

I've been riding in NYC for 30 years. No accidents. None. I KNOW what I'm talking about.

Ride in the RIGHT DIRECTION. Ride on the left even if there is no bike lane if it's a cross-street, this way drivers can see you in their side-view mirror.

Ride as FAR AWAY as possible from parked cars. People jump out between. Cars jump out. You need to be able to avoid this kind of crap. If there is a bike path, hug the edge of outside edge of it (about 5 feet from the parked car). This advice alone will keep you out of much harms way.

When crossing major intersections look BOTH WAYS. I like to swivel my head n both directions as I cross. Sometimes twice. There are still way to many bikes riding against traffic as well as cars jumping the lights that you HAVE TO WATCH OUT FOR THEM ALL.

If you are riding at dusk or night, always use LIGHTS. Riders who ride "stealth" (dark clothing, no light) are a nuisance and a danger to others and above all themselves. Don't join this club. These riders are in my estimation are just waiting to be hammered by a car or a pedestrian. The cool thing, the elastic frog lights, which you can buy on ebay for 3 bucks (you'll pay 12 bucks and more at the bike store) can be easily removed from your bike when you park it.

Attach a bell to your light and USE IT to wake up sleeping pedestrians. I won't hesitate to ring the BELL at someone who isn't paying attention and about to cross in my path when I have the light. Use it aggressively. And be prepared, some won't always hear it cause they are in iphone LaLaLand, so be ready to yell, "Heads Up!" to wake-up these sleep-walkers.

Assume everyone is an idiot, that is ride DEFENSIVELY. Assume that car 3 car lengths ahead is about to pull in front of you and won't be signalling. I like to glance at the tires of parked cars as I approach (in the day this is more necessary cause at night I will see the lights) to see if anyone is pulling out. Be ready to break at anything.

May. 29 2013 05:55 PM
Earl Barrett-Holloway from NYC

I've been riding in NYC since 1995 and am delighted to see riding in NYC balooning in popularity.

What I've learned from riding in traffic and in the bike lanes:

Wear a helmet and use lights at night.

Ive ridden through entire winters. When it's cold outside, riding gets more dangerous and those are the times when I've been hit. Know when to say when.

Getting hit is a fact of nature. If you follow the rules (never ride against traffic!)you will most likely not be hit badly.

In my opinion spaced out, unobservant, jaywalking pedestrians make riding more dangerous now than cars.

Don't always ride in bike lanes, can't stress this enough. The city put them in because it couldn't get congestion pricing passed and some of the bike lanes are intentinally put on crowded streets to annoy drivers and they're so narrow that they shouldn't have bike lanes in them and are more dangerous than riding in traffic.

Never ever take it for granted that people are looking out for you when they're turning left into the bike lanes. And I hate to be a jerk but look out for Jersey or Pennsylvania plates. These are drivers from places that don't have active streets, it's just not in their minds that the environment around their car is active with people.

I agree with Chloe, please please please for the love of Pete, be careful. You have to be hyper alert. I've seen a lot of riders who think they're 10 years old and still living on their deserted culdesacs. Ive been hit I've been yelled at and then cut off intentionally by delivery trucks and livery cabs.

STAY AWAY FROM ACCESS A RIDE TRUCKS. THEIR DRIVERS DONT HAVE TO BE SPECIALLY LICENSED TO DO THEIR JOBS.

Dont expect the police to enforce traffic rules regarding your safety. Double parking or jaywalking into the bike lanes is a constant reality you'll have to deal with. In fact, most double parkers are the police.

Seriously watch yourself in the following areas:
If you plan on riding in Queens good luck to you.
Park Slope-you'll be hit or almost hit by a VOLVO and not be apologized to.
Bushwick-Too many diagonals, very risky.
1st Avenue bike lane-risky from 14th Street to 23rd Street.

And please, unless you're 12 years old or younger, stay off the sidewalks, it's sooooo annoying and that's coming from someone who's been riding in NY for 19 years.

May. 29 2013 05:30 PM
Carlos from UES

Who is going to tell the bike messengers about the rules?

May. 29 2013 05:20 PM
Neil from Washington Heights

Besides being alert and aware, riding defensively, always wearing a helmet and never listening to music or the phone in traffic, my best advice is to get an inexpensive rear-view mirror for your glasses or your helmet. I have a clip-on mirror for my glasses which was under $20 on line, and which lets me see what's coming at me from behind. You wouldn't drive a car without rear-view mirrors, and on a bike you're a lot more vulnerable in traffic.

May. 29 2013 05:18 PM
orlandotrout from east village

beware of pedestrians straying unannounced into bike paths...it has by far been my greatest source of mishaps...tinkle y7our bell just to let pedestrians know that you are coming

May. 29 2013 05:17 PM
John Henry from Manhattan

I've been cycling for business and pleasure without mishap for more than 40 years in Manhattan and I have three pieces of advice:
The first is, when you're cycling on a one-way street, ride on the left side of it. Car doors are more likely to open on the driver's side than on the passenger side, so by riding on the left side of the street you're minimizing the chances that you'll be struck by a door.
The second is, if at all possible, ride far enough away from parked cars so that if a door opens fully, it will not strike you and your bike. If you do have to ride close to cars, do so very slowly so that if a door does strike you, it will not throw you from your bike.
The third is, beware of taxis stopped at lights when drawing abreast of them. Some passengers may unexpectedly alight from them, flinging open a door in the process. So ride very slowly when you are about to pass a stopped cab.

May. 29 2013 10:48 AM

Lots of good advice here. I've been commuting by bike since 1996 and have done so unscathed –you can too!

My number one recommendation is FOLLOW THE RULES OF THE ROAD. A lot of cyclists disagree and think bikes should NOT be beholden to vehicle law but here's why it's good form: traffic lights and signals force you to stop and take stock of your surroundings. This awareness increases overall safety on the road.

RIDING SMART = RIDING SAFE.

You'd NEVER blow through a red light in a car, why EVER would you do it on a bike? To "get there" faster? If we all tried "getting there" slower and smarter, we'd be a much safer - and perhaps much more likable? - population.

Also! Make your intentions known with your voice and/or hands. Get off your phone. Ride single file. Wear a helmet.

Looking forward to the new wheels on the street!

May. 28 2013 01:40 PM

A few great hints from an uninjured 8+ year 7 by 365 New York bike commuter:
- Do NOT hug the curb. This is the easiest way to end up underneath a cement truck making a right turn.
- Avoid riding in a 'squiggly line' to avoid every little obstruction, level manhole cover, divot, etc. All this does is piss off drivers and other riders, and if you keep the correct amount of air in your tires you won't get a flat. I promise.
- Be keenly aware at all times, be able to ride in a straight line while glancing behind you and use your hands to signal your intentions before changing direction. If using a cell phone while driving is illegal and unsafe, it is downright idiotic when riding a bicycle. No, you are NOT that good.
- Do NOT ride your entire trip as if one way streets don't apply to you. Going that one extra block to ride in the right direction won't take that much longer. Really.
- If other riders are waiting behind the crosswalk at a red light, don't cut in front of them. This is just plain rude and definitely doesn't get you where you're going any faster. Trust me.

May. 28 2013 11:59 AM
JCT

DON'T TEXT and BIKE. BE ALERT!

May. 28 2013 10:58 AM
Karen from Manhattan

Don't ride on the sidewalks EVER. I don't care if you "live in the neighborhood". Bikes and pedestrians - esp. older and very young ones - (not to mention dogs) don't mix. Bikes belong on the street, bike lanes, & bike paths.
Use common sense: don't ride the wrong way down the street or bike lane (this is dangerous for you and pedestrians who aren't expecting you); obey traffic signals; watch out for turning cars as well as stopped vehicles, on which doors could open at any time.
And for goodness sake, wear a helmet, bright colors/reflectors and don't listen to music - you need to be watching and listening to what's around you keep yourself and others safe.

May. 28 2013 10:47 AM
jim dell from Manhattan

The streets are congested and random. Very dangerous. I have been riding bikes, motos, and foot scooters for years. You must be VERY experienced, and it's not IF, but WHEN you'll get in an accident. SLOW DOWN. Bikes, pedestrians, and cars, going in every direction. The road-hazard bike-lane curbs installed by DOT must be painted with yellow & black diagonal stripes, not gray. They are low-lying, dangerous obstructions. There will be many injuries and some deaths, if bikes used by inexperienced, all in the name of "marketing" the city to look prettier and more up to date. Cross streets do not have bike lanes.

May. 27 2013 02:29 AM
jim dell from Manhattan

May. 27 2013 02:29 AM
Simone

Do not salmon, aka biking the wrong way down the bike lane. Twice this month I was almost injured by people doing this while listening to music. It is dangerous!!

May. 26 2013 06:51 PM
Michael

Wear a whistle

May. 26 2013 02:30 AM
Tony E from Brooklyn

That should have read "It didn't HELP him

May. 24 2013 04:15 PM
Tony E from Brooklyn

@Karen - the cyclist killed in front of the Brooklyn Museum was wearing a helmet.

It didn't him.

The taxi hit him from behind which leads me to believe the taxi was moving too quickly and not paying attention. The street was dark is not an excuse for the driver as he should be looking out for pedestrians as well. It's more likely that it was early AM and the driver simply wasn't expecting anyone to be there.

Anybody and anything overtaking someone else should use caution and yield the road. This includes cyclists approaching an intersection that already has a car waiting there (assume they are making the turn) as well as car approaching a cyclist from behind. If you simply have to be first, pull all the way forward about 10 feet in front of the car so they can see you rather than pulling up to their window where you might register to them as a pedestrian and not a cyclist.

Finally if you are planning on going straight thru am intersection and there are cars queued up for the turn, you should indicate you are going straight, pull in line between the cars WHEN IT IS SAFE and take the lane then pass on the other side(if the cars are turning left, signal a yield or right turn, pull into behind the lead car, then pass to the right). If you are not comfortable doing that, it's best to pull aside and wait until the street is clear.

May. 24 2013 04:12 PM
Peter from Manhattan

I like the way that Anthony Weiner's "I'll put my Camera Helmet on" is followed by Amy Pearl's "Pull up your pants" advice. Good advice Amy, you never know if some guy might be riding behind you with a helmet camera.

I kid the former congressman :-)

May. 24 2013 03:50 PM
John M from Arlington, VA

Tony E, that's good advice!

May. 24 2013 11:28 AM
Tony E from Brooklyn

Pardon the contradiction but NYC street are safer than the detractors are making them out to be - as proof I offer all the pedestrians and jaywalkers that move within inches of quickly moving traffic, sometimes crossing 6 lanes of impatient Friday night rush hour traffic and don't get hit everyday. As much as I think there needs to be more enforcement of rules, nobody wants to get into an accident.

That said use caution.
Ride defensively.
Be predictable.
Follow the flow of traffic. Underestimate your abilities and those of the driver - err on the side of caution.
Slow down whenever you are within arm's reach of pedestrians - they can be unpredictable.
Signal all your actions with your hands and your mouth.
If you want to race, there are better places for that than in the middle of traffic.
Never assume cars and pedestrians see you or will stop - they won't.

Use your gears.
Pull over anytime you plan on stopping. Signal your stops.
Whenever you stop, rotate the pedals on your power foot to the power position (up and slightly forward). When you are ready to move, kick off with your other foot and step up onto the crank. Your weight will provide all the forward momentum you need to start pedaling.

Don't jockey for position at the lights unless you are a powerful cyclist who will speed away from the pack. There is nothing more annoying than waiting patiently at a light only to have a novice cyclist push to the front of the line and then be an obstacle for everyone behind them to pass.

Signal your stops.

Be aware of everyone and everything around you at all times. Keep scanning the street ahead for obstacles and occasionally look behind you to see what is there.

Signal your passing. A heads up via a shouted "On your LEFT!" or "Passing on the RIGHT" will be appreciated and might avoid a collision with the novice making a sudden turn.

Don't take mistakes personally. For a majority of the traffic, it truly was an accident.

Bikes aren't cars nor are they pedestrian traffic. Riding a bike requires a hybrid of both skills.

Most of all, have fun

May. 24 2013 10:50 AM
Sandy from Greenpoint, Brooklyn

It's my 4-year anniversary since getting a single-speed bike and biking to work (Greenpoint--Midtown, 2+years, Greepoint-Williamsburg, 2-minutes to work!) and throughout the city.

I'm a woman and I'm small, 5'2"ish and whenever my friends and colleagues find out that I bike most places, they give me the "Wow, aren't you afraid?" I doubt that men get that reaction/feedback. I want to give a shout out to women and men alike that commute by bike. It's not difficult as long as you are comfortable riding the bicycle. Riding in and along traffic takes practice, and you have to be ever vigilant to all things around you.

The advice I want to tell people is "Just do it. Be cautious, not fearless, wear a helmet, and using your mouth--your vocals--is the best to warn pedestrians."

For beginners, I think it is best that you learn how to pull over and not just stop in the middle of the street. Look at online maps of your destinations is key so that you are confident in where you are going. This may be dumb--this is for all the people who are not good with maps--imagine yourself in the map going in that direction and recite your route aloud before leaving. Sooner or later it will imprint in your head and you'll get better and better at directions and reading maps.

Down ____ street/avenue
Left at ____
Left at ____
Right at ____
Around the block at ____
etc. etc.

Best and have fun! You'll get so comfortable that you WILL be able to look up momentarily and still be safe. :)

May. 24 2013 09:31 AM
HPNY from manhattan

wear a helmet!

May. 24 2013 08:34 AM
Anthony from DC

The bells on these bikes -- that you have to rotate with your thumb -- are pretty crummy. They break and are hard to us in a real emergency. You might want to consider using an elastic bell that you put on the bike as you go.

May. 24 2013 08:22 AM
Karen from Brooklyn

I fear there will be many accidents as a result of these bicycles. Many of the people renting them are not skilled at riding in NYC traffic. In addition, there should be a law passed that all bike riders wear helmets and have proper lighting at night. Someone was killed just last week in front of the Brookyn Museum. Bike riding in NYC is dangerous.

May. 23 2013 10:31 PM
Chloe Rochette from HARLEM (NO BIKE LANES HERE!)

I ride a bike around town and it is exquisitely dangerous!! In my view, the city is thoroughly irresponsible to have created this program BEFORE it has SERIOUS bike lanes in place all over the city and not on a small number of streets. The city has it backward, though in theory bike share is a great idea! Surely, deaths will rise significantly!

May. 23 2013 10:24 PM

Francis, the bikes have headlights and tail lights built in.

May. 23 2013 07:03 PM
Francis from NYC

Since the NYC Bike Share is 24/7, do the bikes have a headlight? if not, is there a way to attach on easily/quickly?

May. 23 2013 05:43 PM
Dhruv

GO CITI BIKE!!!!!!!

May. 23 2013 04:08 PM
mikebike from Not Brooklyn

1. Ride the bikes
2. Don't be an a**

May. 23 2013 03:42 PM
Nancy Rogers from Petrosino Park

The City administrators and the corporate bank have placed bike-share docking stations on top of the officially designated space for Public Art: Petrosino Park. The historic reasons for an art installation space here in this Park are overwhelming. The fact that the Park was derelict in appearance but inviting to avant-garde and experimental artists since 1985 makes it a sacred place for everyone who is aware that their artistic output was influenced by the Fluxus movement. The decision was made to put art works out in the "PLAZA" area, and to leave the fenced-in green area quiet, free of even artistic speech. Outside, in the north triangle, people gathered around the first work installed and took pictures in a touristy way without annoying the locals who live and work here and who sit in the enclosed green space. Actually, most of the locals were proud that tourists were enjoying the art. There are many Parks Department papers proving that the north triangle of Petrosino is designated for temporary art exhibitions. insist to Mayor Bloomberg, to the DOT and to Citibank that Petrosino Square be protected from commercial activity and from moving vehicular traffic (bikes), and that its front triangle be supported as the Parks Department has designated it to be, as a space devoted to art installations.
Thank you.

May. 23 2013 01:56 PM

If NYC can remove the humidity and extract clean water in the summer... and maybe close Broadway down from 59th st to Union Square....Broadway would make an excellent bike pedestrian path straight through Manhattan!!!...Then I'm willing to give it a go. Otherwise...

May. 23 2013 01:12 PM
bella from on a bike, Manhattan & BK

Practice slow riding. Protect your brains (wear a helmet). Be respectful. Watch out for cabs AND reckless riders.

May. 23 2013 10:29 AM