Joe Nocera on Dow 15,000 and Gun Death 4,000

Friday, May 17, 2013

Applause breaks out at the New York Stock Exchange at the closing bell on February 21, 2012 in New York City. The Dow Jones industrial average broke through the 13,000 barrier. (John Moore/Getty)

Joe Noceraop-ed columnist at the New York Times and Money Talking contributor, discusses the implications of the Dow hitting 15,000 and his continuing series focusing on gun violence

Joe Nocera
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Mr. Nocera cited statistics of tragedies that gun-ownership is responsible for. What about the flip-side: lives that were /saved/ as a result of gun-ownership; people who were able to defend themselves because they had a firearm? Was that even looked-at?

@ "jawbone", (May. 17 2013 11:00 AM):

You're not actually suggesting that Hillary Clinton would ever oppose seriously oppose the interests of the Bankster mafia in any way considerable, fundamental way, are you?

(Or, for that matter, that /any/ Democrat short of the likes of Bernie Sanders or Dennis Kucinich, would?)

Also, I hope you include, at least to a considerable degree, WNYC, NPR and PBS in your category of "Mainstream Corporate Media." See my post further down on the page, (dated May. 17 2013 10:51 AM) where I list just a /few/ of the many dissenting and controversial voices that are never or only rarely heard on WNYC.

Jun. 23 2013 07:46 PM
jawbone

This suggestion has been around for quite a while, but here it is, again:

Gun owners should be required to carry liability insurance on their weapons. I would think the insurance industry could find a way to indicate the danger of paying losses based on different factors, such as types of weapons, concealed carry or home use only, young children around the gun owner (parents, grandparents, etc.), past history of the owner. And so forth.

No insurance, no guns, no ammo. Produce your gun owner's insuranace card to make purchases of guns and ammo, other add-ons.

No insurance, but have guns? Should be heavy penalties.

May. 17 2013 11:05 AM

BTW, whenever I see that handle that announces that the poster is stating "The Truth", I am reminded of a certain late, former NYC mayor who had dubbed himself, "The Voice of Reason."

May. 17 2013 11:04 AM
jawbone

David Dayen has done a great job of tracking the mortgage scandal --which, for the most part, the MCM (Mainstream Corporate Media) does not give all that much attention to-- and it turns out the "settlement" the state AG's made with the Big Banksters actually allows them to continue using "liars" paperwork. Remember all those robo signed forms? And other illegal actions? Now it's A-OK, due to a most kind and considerate settlement which granted almost all the Big Banksters' wishes for a Never Go To Jail card.

Dang, but this is surely one huge scandal, no?

But, since it favors the Powers That Be, the Corporatists, it gets little to no attention in the MCM.

Obama was hired by the Wall Street gang to head off a Hillary presidency. Wall Street did not trust her to take proper and gentle care of them and their objectives, so they funded Obama early on to get into the Dem primary in '08.

Worked out well for <i>them,</i> but not for us in the lower economic quintiles.

And, Joe? Obama appointed Holder. Obama appointed and named all those in his administration which took such good care of the Banksters. That was not by accident. And Obama tried to hobble Elizabeth Warren and the consumer rights agency. Again, not by accident.

Obama manages the executive branch regulatory agencies: Not by accident are so many Corporatist friendly people in place and so many who are so very considerate of the Banksters. If Obama wanted Dodd-Frank to be implemented to control egregious actions by the Banksters, he would be doing so by holding his appointees to account, by managing his administration.

I see these actions and lack of actions by Obama as HUGE scandals, right up there with the devolution of our civil liberties under Obama, with his illegal wars. AP? Please pay attention to these scandals!!

May. 17 2013 11:00 AM
Jay

Dear Brian,

Love your show, but WHY (!?) Joe Nocera? I may even agree with some of his points, but I find him unlistenable... I really want to withdraw my support for your station every time he comes on. Maybe I should be pleased by his NY attitude, but I find him to be an abrasive ass. His "gimme a break" line today took the cake. Yeah, life must be so hard when you're a loudmouth pundit for the New York Times...

May. 17 2013 10:58 AM
One

one statement on this. along with keeping track of all the gun deaths, keep track of all the automobile deaths.

then promote tougher driving laws and penalties for speeding, traffic violations, and off course not locking your car...

May. 17 2013 10:54 AM
steve from queens

here's one for you. I am a gun owner living here in NYC. My father is a gun owner living on LI. My shotguns have multiple locks on them - and the one I usually use - the case of which can be accessed by my son, is under 5 locks (one trigger, two combo and two key on the case. additionally, I would never leave a loaded gun around nor do I store the ammo in the same room as the guns.

A few years ago we were at my father's house on LI and I had a 14 year old cousin there. he had never shot a gun before (dreadful, I had shot a .243 at 5 years old), so I got my father's 20 gauge, the one he keeps in the garage to take out the odd deer with, and I set it down to get some other things ready, maybe some shells. Then I told my cousin to hand me the gun which required him to carry it 15 feet. Then it dawned on me. While I would never leave a loaded gun around, that did not mean my father wouldn't. I told my cousin to stop where he was and went over to him and took the gun and broke the breach, and there inside was a shell.

Whose fault was this? in my father's house it was mine for not checking to be sure the gun was clear (ultimately if something had gone wrong, the experts would say I was wrong - that anyone picking up a gun should check it - and they should) when I first picked it up; in my house it would be the fault of the person leaving he loaded gun around; different generation, different mentality.

May. 17 2013 10:51 AM

Well, what do you know?! Joe Nocera on the Brian Lehrer Show....AGAIN...

Well, okay, I guess I really shouldn't complain, given how much air time people like the following have had on the BLS:
Sen. Bernie Sanders, John Derbyshire, Doug Henwood, Richard Wolff, John Lukacs, Glenn Greenwald, Allan Nairn, Noam Chomsky, Bill Weinberg (anarchist, apparently Zionist dissident exiled from WBAI),Bill Weintraub ( pro-homo, anti-buggery frot advocate, man2manalliance.org ), Tomas Young ("Body of War"), Virgil Goode (Constitution Party presidential candidate, 2012), Rocky Anderson (Justice Party presidential candidate, 2012), John Mangelli (U.S. Senate candidate- NY- 2012), George Galloway...I could go on.

May. 17 2013 10:51 AM
Finess from nyc

This guy finesses the truth too much.
Why is someone from the conservative New York Times speaking about topic s he isn't allowed to criticize. Bring someone with a mind and a mouth.

May. 17 2013 10:51 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Here's an idea. Instead of the government treating the NRA as the enemy, why not ally with the NRA and let the NRA report to the police questionable sales of guns, or suspicious characters acquiring them. The NRA knows through dealers who is buying and selling guns. Let the NRA take the responsibility of tipping off the police to questionable people who acquire guns. Why a government national registry? That is what totalitarian regimes do. America is "of the people, by the people, for the people" and not a master over the people.

May. 17 2013 10:49 AM

Thank you Brian.

May. 17 2013 10:47 AM
The Truth from Becky

I agree, criminals, crazy gun nuts and their crazy relatives should not have access to guns...only law enforcement and active military.

May. 17 2013 10:45 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I've become more open-minded and am beginning to be a supporter of the NRA. It is clear that the anti-gun nuts are not interested in common sense solutions, but only carrying out a vandetta against guns per se. Guns don't commit crimes or atrocities. Criminal and crazy people do. And if you want to protect children in schools, pay well for well-trained armed guards to protect them.

May. 17 2013 10:41 AM

Joe N - Go ahead and say it. The Sandy Hook shooter's mom would have been liable for some of the damages (if she had lived.) I personally would rather see these instances prosecuted as felonies not misdemeanors or civil suits for liability.

We'd cut the gun homicides in half in a year if gunowners KNEW that prosecution followed every death trace-able to loose gun safety storage procedure.

May. 17 2013 10:41 AM