Financial Predator Alert

Friday, December 19, 2008

Bob Frick, senior editor of Kiplinger's Personal Finance, talks about how to avoid scams aimed at those in financial trouble.

Bob Frick

JOEL FRUCHTMAN from LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK

I WAS PUT OUT OF WORK BY MY JOB FOR A PERIOD OF TIME AND I BECAME DELINQUENT ON MY MORTGAGE AND HOME EQUITY LOAN! I WAS CONTACTED BY A COMPANY CALLED SAVE MY HOME, WHO TOLD ME NOT TO PAY MY MORTGAGE AND TO GIVE THEM ONE MONTHS MORTGAGE PAYMENT AND THERE COMPANY AND ATTORNEY WOULD STOP MY FORECLOSURE AND MY PAST DUE MORTGAGE PROBLEMS THROUGH LOAN MODIFACATION WITH MY BANK! WHEN I TOLD THE COMPANY REP.THAT I PAID THE BANK A MORTGAGE PAYMENT HE GOT BENT OUT OF SHAPE AND ALL UPSET THAT I WAS DEALING WITH THE BANK! I FEEL I WAS RIPPED OFF BY THIS FIRM! SHOULD I CONTINUE DEALING WITH MY BANK WA-MU. OR CONTINUE WITH THIS COMPANY SINCE IAM GETTING NOWERE WITH THE BANK ON LOWERING MY INTEREST RATE WITCH IS 11%

Dec. 20 2008 10:18 PM
Lilym from NJ

I had hundreds of calls from those people. I would get to the live person and every time I asked "What is the name of your company" or "Take me off your calling list" they would hang up on me,too. It was really frustrating because they kept calling at all hours and I just couldn't get rid off them or report them. They stopped after a while but I don't think they will give up.

Dec. 19 2008 11:44 AM
hjs from 11211

I was scamed by the stock market.

Dec. 19 2008 11:41 AM
Sandra from NYC

Can't the concerned neighbor call Adult Protective Services, who can help the elderly woman with her bills, etc.?

Dec. 19 2008 11:36 AM
mel from Bronx

I took a robo-call this morning saying "We have been trying to contact about your credit card bill." When I spoke with an operator, I learned they were trying to lower my interest rate. I asked which card they were from. "MasterCard and Visa" (I thought they were in competition!) When I started asking questins, I was hung up on.

Dec. 19 2008 11:34 AM
Born in DC from NYC

CABLE'S CHANNELS are filled with ADS from companies to help

Dec. 19 2008 11:33 AM
Lilym from NJ

Please mention those "Job" agencies that advertise government jobs in newspapers. They make you fill out tons of questionares, have a "serious" interview with you, and then ask for money to pay for "training". I left after 5 minutes, but there were many people in line ready to pay. There are several of these right in midtown Manhattan. And their offices are covered in American flags, Post Office logos and TVs showing workers in Post offices and Government sites. Why are they allowed to exist?

Dec. 19 2008 11:31 AM