Dave Bry Makes a Public Apology

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Dave Bry discusses the many things he’s sorry for, and how he’s come to grip with his past and his regrets. In Public Apology: In Which a Man Grapples with a Lifetime of Regret, One Incident at a Time, he writes funny and moving apologies to those he has wronged--to the girl whose ear he sung the last verse of "Stairway to Heaven" into while slow dancing in junior high school to his own father, who he feels more compassionate about now that Bry has become a dad.

Do you have something you want apologize for? Give us a call at 212-433-9692 or leave a comment!

Dave Bry
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

sam from New York

Heard the story about the ATM experiment. the same thing happened to me years ago, . Yeah. I do feel a little guilty, except I was umemployed at the time so I did need it and I also felt that the disapearance of money would be spread out to all the thousands of other bank customers.

And as regards about finding money, i usually just say ' finders keepers losers weeper'

May. 16 2013 12:31 AM
Benoit Balz from ny

One of the worst Lopate interviews ever. No wonder nobody called in. Perhaps this dolt should "look at" how many of his mundane transgressions involved "beers". SNOOOOZZE!!

May. 16 2013 12:18 AM

This segment could be so much more than it is; sadly, because of big "MR BRY." What makes for funny table talk/ anectdotes is not always radio or book worthy. Modesty and some self-editing, please.

May. 15 2013 12:55 PM
The Truth from Becky

Jerk. Apology not accepted.

May. 15 2013 12:52 PM
Anonynous from Brooklyn

When I was 15, a few friends and I, in an early "drunk experience" revisited our middle school, a tony "country day school" in our town, and trashed it. Nearly all the books in the libarary were unshelved, computers were hoisted above heads and crashed to the ground, and genrally things were messed up. It was a kind of group chaos, Lord of the Flies-type thing, and when it was over, we heard it had caused $10K in damage, and this was in the 80s. Feel pretty awful about it still, even though I was kind of the one in awe and not doing a much damage myself. Some shame remains.

- Anonymous

May. 15 2013 12:50 PM
Geoff Barholdt from Massapeque NY

About 15 years ago I was standing in line to pick up a pizza. While waiting the gentleman in front of me took out his wallet. When I looked down at the floor a neatly folded $100.00 bill was there with Ben Franklyn staring at me. In stead of asking the gentleman in front of me did he drop it I cautiously placed my foot on the bill to conceal it. I waited until the gentleman left and I pretended to tie my shoe.
It was then that I picked up the bill and put it in my pocket. I have never told this to anyone. As I am writing this to you I feel a lessening of guilt but not that much.
I should have asked who owns this money?

May. 15 2013 12:47 PM
Leslie from East Village, NYC

My mantra: "Be mindful even when your mind is full." It's helped me be less of a jerk.

May. 15 2013 12:47 PM
Opal from Upper West Side NYC

I am usually a thoughtful person. But there is an incident that I regret. I was in a rehab center getting physical therapy. I had trouble falling asleep the night before and when I finally did, a young nurse's aide opened the door of my room to ask a stupid question. I was awake the rest of the night. When I went to my therapy session the next day there was a substitute therapist and I was so cranky from lack of sleep I was brusque and rude to her. Afterwards I was so regretful. What's worse I had the opportunity to apologize and I didn't. I hope the young woman is listening and will accept my apologies.
Opal

May. 15 2013 12:39 PM
Mercedes from Harlem

I broke up with my college girlfriend over the phone while I was studying abroad. It has been 12 years. We are sort of pen pals. I have tried to apologize but she won't let me bring it up. I regret breaking up over the phone more than anything else I have done.

May. 15 2013 12:38 PM
Sara from Staten Island, ny

When our kids were kids, if one wronged the other and was made to apologize, the one who was offended had the option to accept the apology, or to say, 'Sorry doesn't help,'
which was often heard. If you step on someone's toe accidentally, 'Sorry' works. If you say something cutting and nasty, it often doesn't assuage the pain, for it wasn't an accident: it was deliberate. That's the difference.

May. 15 2013 12:34 PM
Prunes

Dave should offer a public apology for these lame stories. I didn't think that Rory one was ever going to end, talk about no pay off.

May. 15 2013 12:32 PM
Allen Bank from Brooklyn

Mr. Bry is little more then a run of the mill jerk looking for absolution. We all have things in our lives we'd like to take back; but why he believes his personal digressions would be of any interest to anyone are beyond me. I think his book falls into the blogging world where most of the bloggers I've read are more often simply screaming to be heard; acknowledged and believe their every movement or thought are worthy of a spotlight. And that people care.

May. 15 2013 12:30 PM
Gary from Port Washington NY

It is pledge time, so I guess all the listeners who listen and don't periodically support Public Radio and WNYC should feel guilty. The recent eposide of Veep on HBO had a funny segment on apologizing Sn 2 Eposide 5 Helsinki. It aired this past weekend.

May. 15 2013 12:24 PM
carolita from NYC

In senior or junior year of high school, I took an optional italian class that got rescheduled to "0" period (meaning, way before school hours started). Not being an early riser, I regretted it instantly, and went to Mrs. Cooperman (head of the languages department) and asked to be let out of the class. (I was already taking AP French.) She didn't want to let me out because I was one of the better students, and raised the class average, so she denied my request. Furious, I bought a miniature bottle of Listerine (remember when it was wrapped in paper?), wrapped it in tissue paper, put a bow on it, and a card, that said, "I have loved you from afar," and stuck it in her mailbox. Later that day, I saw her peeking into our classroom through the door window, scrutinizing everyone's face, and I stayed calm.
I apologize for that, Mrs Cooperman.

May. 15 2013 12:22 PM
matthias from Crown Heights

Dave Bry- Someone's gonna tell Jon Bon Jovi about this and he goes gonna send you a six pack.

May. 15 2013 12:20 PM
Michele

Re: Mr. Bry's ATM story if was able to make another transaction, in this case a withdrawal why did he not just redeposit the money through another transaction?

May. 15 2013 12:15 PM