Legal Weed: Addiction

Friday, May 10, 2013

Marijuana (Federacion de Asociaciones Cannabicas/flickr)

A May series on marijuana continues with a look at addictionMark Kleiman, professor of public policy at the UCLA School of Public Affairs, marijuana legalization consultant for Washington State, and co-author of Marijuana Legalization: What Everyone Needs to Know (Oxford University Press, 2013) talks about the drug's effects and how legalization might address treatment.  He's joined by WNYC senior reporter Marianne McCune who talks about her piece on abuse and dependence of marijuana, as part of the "Weed Next Door" series.

Mark Kleiman and Marianne McCune

jf from reality

We should live in a world where you are allowed to be more than one person: The actor, The salesman, cheater/fudger/extorter.. There are other thinking styles that make us much happier. The Gardener, Artist, Musician, creators, because they all have to be businessmen there is no room for the masses of them.

May. 22 2013 11:49 AM
jf from REALITY

Why are people still commenting on this weeks later? Obviously someone is hired to spout anti marijuana propaganda. MARIJUANA CURES CANCER LEUKEMIA AND TREATS 400 DISEASES, THESE ONES:
AIDS Related Illness
Nail-Patella Syndrome
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Opiate Dependence
Parkinson's Disease
Peripheral Neuropathy
Persistent Insomnia
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Premenstrual Syndrome
Sleep Disorders
Spasticity
Spinal Stenosis
Sturge-Weber Syndrome
Stuttering
Tardive Dyskinesia
Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ)
Tenosynovitis
Terminal Illness
Thyroiditis
Tic Douloureux
Tietze's Syndrome
Tinnitus
Tobacco Dependence
Tourette's Syndrome
Trichotillomania
Viral Hepatitis
Wasting Syndrome
Whiplash

May. 22 2013 11:44 AM
steve castleman from san francisco

Addiction is a chronic, progressive brain disease of the Limbic "reward" system, which is not only involved in the experience of pleasure, but is also central to learning, decision-making and motivation. Addicts make terrible decisions because it is their brain's decision-making apparatus that malfunctions. For a website that discusses the science of addiction in accessible English (what makes it a chronic, progressive disease; what parts of the brain malfunction; how that malfunction results in addict behaviors; how addicts' decision-making is skewed by substance abuse; why some get addicted while others don't; how treatment works; why relapse is common; what family and friends can do; etc.) please click on www.AddictScience.com.

May. 20 2013 02:07 PM
S from 11209

It's been 30 years since I smoked a joint. I know I have an addictive personality. Today I have a choice and I no longer want drugs or alcohol in my life. That being said, I really don't want to tell people, e.g. who live in my building what they should be doing. The problem that I have with this legalization issue, is that I already have pot coming into my apartment, can't open my windows in the Summer, had to leave a concert on Brooklyn's Prospect Park because of the clouds of weed, etc. If a person takes a drink, at least it is in that individual's body (assuming the individual is not pregnant). Not so with weed. Catch my drift?

May. 16 2013 11:04 AM
Jake

Hi "thatgirl" from manhattan-

This is Jake speaking, the one who's quote you find "lame." I agree with your comment that addicts can and will become addicted to anything they do in inordinate quantities, but with one caveat. I believe I was born with a predisposition to addiction. I had a lot of bad HABITS when I was younger. I did many things addictively, but don't believe I had entered the realm of "addict" because I was able to break many of those habits without any outside help. What I meant by "marijuana expedited my addiction," is that marijuana was the first habit I formed where I was subsequently unable to stop. It expedited my addiction in the sense that it was the habit that caused me to cross the line where my habits could no longer be stopped without help - a shift that I believe to be permanent.

I was addicted to the euphoric affects that marijuana produced, similar to a food addict who is addicted to the euphoria he receives when he consumes large quantities of food. Because my addiction began with drugs, I began to seek out more drugs that would produce similar, but stronger euphorias. Marijuana was the tip of the iceberg, but was the place where my journey grew feet.

I don't believe marijuana in itself is addictive for the majority of people. It is, however, addictive for addicts - and it certainly can accelerate the process of developing uncontrollable addictive tendencies (once again, for those predisposed to addiction).

May. 11 2013 02:28 AM
jf from censor city

Marijuana is not bad for you! who cares if some people are addicted! They are also addicted to exercise, and cooking organic food... The government study in 1974 that was shut down was proving that heavy marijuana smokers had less lung cancer than non smokers. It's preventative medicine. It's like baking soda, it has a thousand uses, it probably has a thousand more. Thc kills cancer, extraction cures HIV(reason.com/blog/2013/05/03/wont-some-folks-feel-stupid-if-it-turns), treatments list: https://www.marijuanadoctors.com/content/ailments/index

Agoraphobia
Nail-Patella Syndrome
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Opiate Dependence
Parkinson's Disease
Peripheral Neuropathy
Persistent Insomnia
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Premenstrual Syndrome
Sleep Disorders
Spasticity
Spinal Stenosis
Sturge-Weber Syndrome
Stuttering
Tardive Dyskinesia
Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ)
Tenosynovitis
Terminal Illness
Thyroiditis
Tic Douloureux
Tietze's Syndrome
Tinnitus
Tobacco Dependence
Tourette's Syndrome
Trichotillomania
Viral Hepatitis
Wasting Syndrome
Whiplash

May. 10 2013 11:28 PM
Richard from Tarrytown

Brian, please tell your listeners there is a 12-step program for people who have a problem with marijuana. Marijuana Anonymous has been around on the West Coast a long time but the New York chapter began in 1989. For those who can't get to MA meetings, most AA groups accept marijuana addicts and many addicts/alcoholics are cross addicted to more than one drug. Marijuana addiction is hard to break because there are very few bad effects (like overdoses or hangovers) associated with it. I am a marijuana addict.

May. 10 2013 12:33 PM
Jf from Reality

What is going on here? how can i trust you on Anything? Is this the anti marijuana propaganda network? You want people to be sick?thc kills cancer cells ,hiv cells cures 400 diseases. Look at the treatment list. Exercise is also addictive. Where is my voice heard! no where ever. Cancer profiteers! You betray humanitty today.and nature.

May. 10 2013 11:54 AM
thatgirl from manhattan

Truth and Beauty - I asked you a legitimate question about your "forbidden chemicals" statement, and you provide a Wikipedia entry. I wouldn't hire anyone who espouses that level of laziness when asked to provide sound rationale for an inflammatory statement. Packaged foods, your glass of wine, and a lot of other substances are addictive and contain "chemicals" not easily assimilated to the body. Should they be declared illegal, as well?

Since you've decided to put your behavior on a pedestal above others, why not ask when they smoke cannabis? Many, like you, do it at home when they don't have other, outside responsibilities. Cannabis lovers are less likely than you to feel they aren't "really that buzzed" and jump behind the wheel of a car. Think a mere "glass of wine" can't be dangerous? Get to know some alcoholics, or those with alcohol allergies.

As for "smelling marijuana" on someone? You're clearly out of touch with use these days. Many simply ingest it with foodstuffs, including loads of senior citizens who use it for pain. So as Peg says, you don't even know when people are using cannabis, or some other substance, like most CNS drugs that have some kind of cognitive effect. What's your litmus?

I love that your holier-than-thou rationale about liking wine for the taste alone, yet assuming those who like cannabis only smoke, and only do so to gain higher and higher THC levels. There are plenty of these "connoisseurs" who actually seek lower-level buzz amid the myriad serotypes of cannabis. But you go on with your box wine superiority, honey!

Net, you're simply leveling judgment about something you feel strongly, which is fine. Just don't confuse it for some kind of real expertise. It's finger-wagging and conjecture, at best.

May. 10 2013 11:35 AM
Peg

To Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn - Agree with you that I want to deal with people who are sober and competent and they should not smell of alcohol or smoke. But unless you stay home all the time, you will encounter many people who drink and/or smoke on their off time and you would not be able to tell who they are.

May. 10 2013 11:31 AM
thatgirl from manhattan

John from NYC - Bingo! Brian's show, in its glorious 15-minute, shallow depth, now relies upon the inflammatory, because there isn't the time to develop a platform for discussion; add unqualified guests to it, and you have HuffPo-type "Should Blondes Abstain from Implants?" conversations.

And the website gets added pageviews when we all inveigh, so it's "audience at any cost." I, too, expect more from NPR. Now they're the least of evils on many things. This is why I'm happy to allow the oil and gas companies provide them the motherlode of funding.

May. 10 2013 11:18 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

Peg:

I am NOT surrounded by people who indulge everyday because the lifestyle I lead precludes that. If I were to walk into any office and smell marijuana on the clothing of an employee, I'd be out of there in a flash. I want the people I deal with to be sober and competent, thank you.

May. 10 2013 11:15 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

thatgirl from manhattan:

Science enters into it, but I'm not writing a paper here. Take a look at this Wikipedia entry:

If you walked around slightly buzzed from alcohol all the time, people would recognize you as an alcoholic. If you walk around slightly buzzed from marijuana all the time, you are in essentially the same psychic, psychological and physiological state, only people think it's "cool" because it's "dope."

And it is addictive. If it were not, people wouldn't use on a daily basis. If I have a glass of wine with dinner, I don't suffer any ill effects from it, I have it when I know I have no further responsibilities for the day, and I don't feel the need or desire to have more with my breakfast and all my meals the following day. I have the wine because it tastes good with my dinner and that's about it. People who smoke marijuana, despite their posing as connoisseurs, are really only interested in maximizing the dose of THC they get per hit. That is addiction.

By the way, smokers of cigarettes are also addicts. As any long-time smoker how difficult it is to quit.

May. 10 2013 11:12 AM
Sandra from Brooklyn

The studies about Weed are very important, but I always ask, when the "dangers" of weed are discussed in an alarmist fashion - How come it's always the guy who drinks a 6-pack who goes out and kills his wife? A pothead would more likely sit on the couch listening to music. There really needs to be a discussion comparing the two drugs, and their availability. Do I need to mention drug lords? I don't think so.

Also, why has no-one studied weed's use to women in menopause. Estrogen is a no go, and for many with severe cases of hot flashes,

May. 10 2013 11:09 AM
john from NYC

Been listening to WNYC since 1979. Sad to hear that over the last few years that WNYC and NPR are now like the rest of the MSM touting the propaganda de rigueur. Between this program and the one on NY dealer the other day it's getting to be annoying.

While I can't speak for those in the study, I have been smoking daily for 30+ years except when I travel. Never experienced any side effect other than having more vivid dreams. I agree however that when used by younger people I have seen developmental problems but these issues occur with alcohol
or pills.

May. 10 2013 11:05 AM
Peg

Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn - You are surrounded by all sorts of competent people who smoke regularly. They populate EVERY profession.

May. 10 2013 11:05 AM
Tom from UWS

Definitely explore the physical risk outside of addiction: an oncologist friend of mine (who was also a regular pot user) told me that there is, in fact, a high rate of throat cancer among heavy pot smokers: even if you're never smoking enough marijuana to compare to a pack-a-day cigarette smoker in terms of lung damage, the risk the HOT smoke of pot creates to regular users shouldn't be left unstated.

A quick move away from smoking as a delivery method should be part of medical use at the least; maybe de-criminalization is the way to finally get credible warnings out about smoking cannabis.

May. 10 2013 11:04 AM

..."preceding", rather!

May. 10 2013 11:03 AM

Sometimes, you just wish some folks weren't on your side...

May. 10 2013 11:03 AM
thatgirl from manhattan

Lamest guests on the subject possible! How about bringing in science via qualified professionals - not a reporter and public policy expert, who, at best, have educated themselves enough to have an opinion, which is cheap around here.

May. 10 2013 11:02 AM

thatgirl from manhattan ~

Thank you RE: immediately proceeding post.

May. 10 2013 11:01 AM
Larry from Brooklyn

The word "addiction" is so poorly defined that it is not usefully employed in drug research anymore. The guest is correct that "physical" and "psychological" dependence are also not commonly used in research either. The definition of substance use disorder (e.g. DSM 4) of any type does NOT require there be physical symptoms of withdrawal for any substance.... this reflects contemporary research.

Basically what we are talking about is a behavior (drug use) that is reinforced by the active ingredient(s) in a substance (This reinforcement system is well understood in neuroscience although variations in individuals is less well understood). Hence, a habit is formed which varies in strength across people. For some, the habit is easier to change than it is for other people. Habits become problems when a person finds it difficult to manage it.

May. 10 2013 11:00 AM

Personally, I think weed is a bore and a TOTAL waste of time but, I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT TO BE TOTALLY LEGAL!!

Ridiculous.

May. 10 2013 10:59 AM
jm

It's fairly easy for me to obtain marijuana. When I do, it's used every couple of months (smoked or eaten). For me, it's no more addictive than the nice bottle of grappa I keep in the liquor cabinet for special occasions.

May. 10 2013 10:59 AM
Peg

Agree with vnjndirish
"Long term cannabis effects have not been well studied due to the irrational prohibition. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates used cannabis when they were younger; it sure killed their IQs and ambitions."

Make it legal so we can have adequate and well designed studies to settle the science.

May. 10 2013 10:59 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

This whole conversation revealed the empty fear of Reefer Madness.

May. 10 2013 10:59 AM
thatgirl from manhattan

Truth and Beauty - No one's arguing that cannabis isn't considered a "drug" here. Wake up.

Care to inveigh on these "many chemicals," or is science just to hard to bring in to the discussion?

May. 10 2013 10:58 AM
bernie from bklyn

having a segment titled "marijuana addiction" is irresponsible and ridiculous. marijuana addiction DOES NOT EXIST!

May. 10 2013 10:57 AM
John A

Thank-you for whats happening onair right now.
Marijuana addiction test: threaten to take away the marijuana. Test for resulting violence.

May. 10 2013 10:55 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

I am SO sick of this bloody marijuana discussion. It is a drug. Period.

If it has any genuine health benefits, then medical marijuana should be approved, the same way we approve medical morphine.

Other than that, it is the equivalent of alcohol in its use and pervasiveness and should be prohibited in the same way alcohol is, and in the same circumstances.

Boys and Girls: EVERYTHING you put into your body has some kind of effect, just like pushing the first domino. Organically grown vegetables are better for your salad than vegetables grown with the aid of inorganic pesticides. Marijuana contains many chemicals that simply do not belong in the human body, and smoking it is as bad as smoking tobacco because of the deposits it leaves in your lungs.

Brian: I sure as heck hope this is the last time you are going to be discussing this subject. The "heads" are loving it, but I wouldn't trust a single one of them to work for me or drive me somewhere or represent me in a court of law. Let's call a drug a drug and move on.

May. 10 2013 10:54 AM
steve from upper west side

Excuse me, but all these people who apparently have NO argument unless they distort and change the English Language, and say the opposite of the preponderance of medical evidence. "ADDICTION" is not just bad habits... There is abundant medical evidence that marijuana is NOT physically addicting and does not cause the body to require it, and does NOT cause dependence. If weak people like it and want more, then it's on the level of chocolate. From their argument, aspirin and cough medicine become the major "gateway" drug to cocaine heroin...

May. 10 2013 10:54 AM

Addiction is physical addiction...actual physical withdrawal symptoms. Psych addiction is mental. You won't die from not having it, like you might with heroin, meth, nicotine or alcohol.

May. 10 2013 10:54 AM
The Truth from Becky

More growth on the slippery slope into Gomorrah.

May. 10 2013 10:54 AM

Define "addiction".

Cheetos™ can be abused to the point of self detriment.

Besides the physical addiction that some substances like opiate can produce, the underlying problem is a psychological predisposition.

What we need is substance abuse EDUCATION and MENTAL HEALTH CARE!!!

Prohibition does NOT eliminate individual's underlying psychological issues!!

May. 10 2013 10:53 AM
carolita from NYC

I know people who are addicted to food, who do things like sneak off in a market to stuff a sausage sandwich in less than five minutes, then come back and pretend they haven't eaten, that's how addicted they are. What are you gonna do? Outlaw food? The addiction problems are in the person, not the substance.

May. 10 2013 10:53 AM
thatgirl from manhattan

Sorry John from office - you've been served, by Bob in Brooklyn!

This is about common sense. Have a "predisposition" to addiction? Stay away from all controlled substances, and learn cognitive skills to self-limit.

Nick--your brother would have done this with cannabis, alcohol, whatever was available.

Do your experts have anything to say about different strains of cannabis, like sativa versus indica? There's real science behind the range of "effects" cannabis has.

May. 10 2013 10:53 AM
Bob from Flushing

Addicts will get what they want whether it's legal or illegal. Let's talk more about the experience in other countries rather than the U.S with all its cultural peculiarities.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about the threat to public health posed by addiction to handheld digital devices.

May. 10 2013 10:53 AM
John A

Marijuana is a scourge on people looking for intelligent conversation.
A dead leaf don't fall far from the tree.
- - -
Look at all the things to get addicted to in america NPR's TV reviewer even says unjokingly
how his favorite series work that way.

May. 10 2013 10:51 AM
pina from South Plainfield

I'm tired of all those addiction arguments. Ok it is addictive but so other things like alcohol, cigarettes, even exercise and food. Why aren't we questions pharmaceutical companies for creating so many addicts???? They are the biggest problem not weed.

May. 10 2013 10:51 AM
Peg

Refined sugar is the FIRST gateway drug. We start our infants on it and it's downhill from there. My mother weaned me from breastfeeding on sugar water. Took me till my mid thirties to realise the "addiction". Took me another 10 years to finally break it. If you love your children - don't let them have refined sugar!!!!!!!!!!!

May. 10 2013 10:51 AM
harmony from Bushwick

Marijuana is not addictive. "Addiction" is not an ethereal term; it refers to the brain chemistry function where one becomes physically dependent on a chemical. Marijuana can certainly be "habit forming" and a destructive force in user's lives, but that is not the same thing.

May. 10 2013 10:50 AM
Nancy from NYC

Have we distinguished between habit and addiction? We need to.

May. 10 2013 10:49 AM
thatgirl from manhattan

Jake's quote is lame--why include something so mis-informed and inflammatory? "Marijuana accelerated my addiction?" If one has an innate "addictive" personality, they can and will become addicted to anything they do in inordinate quantities.

May. 10 2013 10:49 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

Screw the teenagers. We're going to hold the entire adult population hostage over this because kids may smoke weed??? This argument no longer holds water for the Just Say No addicts.

May. 10 2013 10:48 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

Hey Albany - I want my Cali Weed! Prices too damn high!

May. 10 2013 10:46 AM
john from office

Exactly my point, steve jobs and bill gates come from upper middle class familys. I am worried about the lower middled class kids, african american and latino and poor white who are sucked into a pot culture and waster their time.

I smoked as a kid, I loved it, but it was a waste of time.

May. 10 2013 10:41 AM

John you're in the minority. Long term cannabis effects have not been well studied due to the irrational prohibition. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates used cannabis when they were younger; it sure killed their IQs and ambitions.

May. 10 2013 10:17 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

Have fun in the 'office', John. Sucker. I'm retired!

May. 10 2013 10:09 AM
John from office

Bob, sent from his mother's basement in Brooklyn. A 30-40 year old, living on an old sofa, eating chips, watching cartoons, at noon on a tuesday. Another pot success story. PARTY ON DUDE!!!

May. 10 2013 10:06 AM

John, alcohol makes you incompetent, emotionally charged, and damages your body, yet that's fine for people to chug on their commutes home.

As for weed addiction, I feel that it's an addiction to the feeling produced, not a chemical addiction like alcohol or cigarettes.

May. 10 2013 10:04 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

Don't listen to John, kiddies. He is greatly misinformed, and probably some nut job slave master.

Marijuana, when used responsibly (don't smoke and drive your kids to school, m'kay?) is a great way to unwind from a hectic day of strokin off the boss at work and dealing with the hassle of modern life. It reduces stress, opens the mind up to alternative thinking, reduces pain from injuries and medical procedures (my doc recommends it over pain killers) and, gosh darn it, pot is fun! There are health and addiction risks associated with pot smoking as there are health risks to drinking, smoking cigarettes, eating sugary, fatty foods and calling your mother every day . Read up! Keep learning! Smoking pot is less of a 'time waster' than going to a job you hate.

Hey, young (and old) people - there is no 'future' - there is only now. Keep smokin'

May. 10 2013 09:05 AM
john from office

Weed, Pot or whatever you call it lowers your IQ, makes you lazy and kills your ambition. Young people, more so for african american and latino kids, dont need the added drag on their futures. All the upper middle class white guys who will respond with tales of success even though they smoke each day, ask yourself, where would you be if you did not smoke?? POT IS A WASTE OF TIME!!!!

May. 10 2013 07:45 AM