The Other Senate Appointment

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Fred Dicker, state editor for the New York Post, on who Governor Paterson will appoint to fill Hillary Clinton's Senate Seat. A Marist poll gives Caroline Kennedy the edge.

Fred Dicker

Steven Zwetchkenbaum from Edgemont, NY

I agree with two sentiments above. I think this was a very unbalanced discussion. Your guest sounded very much like a usual New York Post rant, lacking poise and courtesy as well. You could have done more to try to balance the discussion, but I'll excuse you if you thought it would have been at your peril to do that.

I've rarely heard a guest on your show with that kind of narrow perspective along with self-admitted lack of knowledge about the subject that he was ranting against. The discussion dealt essentially in negatives and largely lacked substance. I hope for a counterbalancing, or at least more balanced discussion with a broader viewpoint.

And as pointed out, it is the Kennedy tradition, not the name, that adds to her worthy personal credentials in recommending her to the Senate selection. New York would do well to have its part in carrying forward the Kennedy tradition of public service and strong advocacy for social justice. Caroline Kennedy would likely be a strong Senator for New York and I hope she is selected. She'd be tested soon in a 2010 election to pass judgment on her appointment. I think that New York has far more to gain than to lose.

Dec. 10 2008 01:58 PM
seth from Long Island

The objective here should be to pick the best qualified person for the job not the most famous person.

Caroline Kennedy dosen't deserve this appointment. She's a celebrity with a famous last name. There are far more qualified people who have held elective office and know how Congress works.

It would be a huge mistake for Patterson to choose Caroline Kennedy.

Dec. 10 2008 01:43 PM
SK from Brooklyn

I am a democrat, and I uncomfortable with Ms. Kennedy as senator, and I did not care for her as an endorser either. "Obama reminds me of my father" - I failed to see how that mattered.

This replacement has big shoes to fill, and being a celebrity daughter and fine person is not enough.

And to pick people based on their Q score and dollar value - how valuable of a fundraiser they are - is extremely unsettling.

Dec. 10 2008 12:06 PM
Owen from Manhattan

That someone who writes for the New York Post should be given such a forum to comment on Caroline Kennedy's qualifications to take Hilary Clinton's Senate seat is a sad comment on the times we live in. Who reads the New York Post anyway? Very few if current street sales are any indication. Certainly no free thinking intelligent New Yorker. Lets not forget that this is the rag that came out early in support of erratic John McCain. The publication's homophobia and racism is barely veiled. This is a paper run pretty much by foreign carpetbaggers who in some cases changed their citizenship in order to take control of American media interests. Next time you have a NY Post reporter on, you definitely need to provide balance and have a reporter from a more "fair and balanced media" outlet. And I don't mean its corporate enabler FOX!

Dec. 10 2008 12:03 PM
Steve from brooklyn

I completely agree with what Sue from Brooklyn wrote. Maybe I wasn't listening that closely, but I find the claims of sexism to be a bit overblown. I would even say they are shrill but that would be sexist, right?
I'm all for ELECTING C. Kennedy to the Senate. By appointment no way.

Dec. 10 2008 11:54 AM
Tom from Manhattan

Why are we pretending that there are some esoteric entrance qualifications for the post of U.S. Senator from New York? Hillary Clinton was the wife of a president and had nothing to do with New York. Bobby Kennedy was the brother of a president and a U.S. Attorney General and had nothing to do with New York. It seems to me we have received some fine service from people who arrived here with little more than big names.

Let's face it, the only real entrance exam for the U.S. Senate is either an election or an appointment. In either case, a prominent name helps.

Dec. 10 2008 11:49 AM
Yolanda from Park Slope

A view from the NEW YORK POST??? On one of the Kennedys??? A surefire way to get Fair and Balanced reporting...Not.

Dec. 10 2008 11:45 AM
John from chelsea

He comments that she would not be considered if her name were not Kennedy... Unlike Hilary Clinton or Andrew Cuomo. Noooo, they won on their on merits. Riiiight.
CK would be thoughtful and intelligent and have a level of stature that the state deserves.

Dec. 10 2008 11:45 AM
anonyme from midtown manhattan

I htink this guy is a major league sexist. You can do so much better. Carolyn Maloney has been my representative for years and years and a very good advocate for her constituents. She's make a fine senator but I like Caroline better. That is if Caroline wants it!

Dec. 10 2008 11:41 AM
David from Manhattan

This guy seems to just be interested in bashing everyone -- even to the point of declaring Arthur Schlessinger the real author of Profiles in Courage -- which most people thought Ted Sorensen wrote (although he categorically has stated that John Kennedy was the real author).
What's his problem?
It sounds like he just hates Caroline Kennedy for no particular reason.
He's so filled with hate and anger -- why is he even on your show, Brian?
The issue is still a non-issue.
He's a waste of our time. Please send him back to the Post, where he belongs.

Dec. 10 2008 11:40 AM
Rich McBride from in UN-abused neighborhood

John Hall
Maurice Hinchey
Michael Bloomberg

Dec. 10 2008 11:40 AM
Telegram Sam from Staten Island

I love the way this guy eviscerated Mrs. Thurston Howell III just now. I work on the UES and most of the people who live around here west of Lexington Ave. are similarly clueless and addicted to nepotism, among other loathsome qualities.

Dec. 10 2008 11:39 AM
Sue from Brooklyn

Kennedy's friend is doing her a great disservice by suggesting her lack of experience is an asset and by refusing to discuss her legal activities -- if she is really prepared for what politics requires, she is going to have to be prepared to address those questions! It's what voters deserve to know & understand.

I find even the suggestion of having her fill the post is almost offensive. I respect her greatly, but she is not a politician. She has shunned political life for half a century. Her engagement in public life has been strictly on her terms. You can't represent a giant state in the US Senate with that approach. Surely there are enough people with a demonstrated interest in serving - not neccessarily political hacks, but people with credibility and an engagement in the political sphere -- to find a reasonable candidate.

The Obama/Kennedy comparison is really bizarre.

Dec. 10 2008 11:39 AM
Robert from NYC

Let's hope it's NOT Carolyn Maloney (Baloney).

Dec. 10 2008 11:39 AM
LM from Union Square

I hope Carolyn Kennedy is considered by the Governor for NY Senator. This guest is completely on a self interest mission!

Dec. 10 2008 11:38 AM
Steve (the other one) from Manhattan

@Alden ... I like it. Imagine the look on Miss McConnell's face the first day Big Dog showed up. Priceless.

Dec. 10 2008 11:38 AM
capwilly from nyc

What do qualifications have do do with anything when we allowed Hillary Clinton to become senator only because of her notoriety as the president's wife.

Dec. 10 2008 11:38 AM
anonyme from midtown manhattan

That's right - Hillary had no experience before she was elected senator - this fellow is most annoying

Dec. 10 2008 11:37 AM
Michael from Brooklyn

Look, I need a job. I'll be Senator if I can get enough WNYC listeners to support me!

Dec. 10 2008 11:37 AM
Jerry from Elmhurst, Queens

Profilesin Courage was written by Ted Sorenson, NOT Arthur Sclesinger!

Dec. 10 2008 11:37 AM
Robert from NYC

Fred Dicker?!!! hahahahahahahaha. Are you sure there's an -er suffix on that last name? hahahahahahahahaha. The NY Post? hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Dec. 10 2008 11:36 AM
cmb from Harlem

How is a man who has absolutely no knowledge of Caroline Kennedy's legal career, writings or experience on the radio questioning her qualifications? His criticisms smack of sexism.

Dec. 10 2008 11:36 AM
Living 7 blocks from where this happened from Bushwick

Is Caroline Kennedy the one who Brian asked about the $4 million cost to rename the tri-borough bridge at a time when the state / city's strapped for cash? And she about ducked the question?

Dec. 10 2008 11:36 AM
SB from Brooklyn

What about Assem. Crystal Peoples? A hardworking African American woman from Buffalo who was considered for Lt. Gov?

Dec. 10 2008 11:35 AM
Robert from NYC

I don't dislike Carolyn Kenndy, in fact I do like her very much. I really thing though that the Governor should choose a black woman to the Senate. Unfortunately I don't have a candidate to proffer but he should know if of anyone who is qualified. That said, IF Kennedy gets it, I would be not at all disappointed. I think she would be fine. But if there is a qualified born NYer African-american woman, then that's who I want to see in that position.

Dec. 10 2008 11:35 AM
Robin M from Astoria

I don't think that Caroline Kennedy has sufficient experience to be a New York Senator. I think that Carolyn Maloney, who is my Representative, would be great. She has been a member of Congress for 15 years.

Dec. 10 2008 11:35 AM
Deb from Larchmont, NY

This discussion sounds a lot like what was said about Hillary when she first floated being the junior Senator from NY. Appointing Caroline Kennedy would not dilute the impact of the NY contingent in Congress & in NYS (as appointing another currently serving official would), and she would probably do what Hillary did when she began - she put her head down and got to low-profile work - hit the upstate road to learn about the needs of her constituents and advocated for NYers from her 'junior Senator' position. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Dec. 10 2008 11:34 AM
Mary Bon

Rudy Guiliani will eat her alive in the first campaign.

Dec. 10 2008 11:34 AM
Lloyd from Manhattan

I wonder if Ms. Kennedy is willing to to visit 10 upstate towns a week every week for six years the way Sen. Clinton does. Being a Senator involves a lot of legwork and appearing for speeches and interviews almost 24/7

Dec. 10 2008 11:33 AM
Wendy from NYC

What Political / Public Life position did Hillary Clinton have before becoming Senator?

Dec. 10 2008 11:33 AM
Alden from Inwood

Why not Bill Clinton? Might save some money, not having to change all that official stationary and those brass name-plates, since we'd still have a Senator Clinton from New York.

Dec. 10 2008 11:33 AM
anonyme from midtown manhattan

this guy is a male chauvinist idiot, needs to go back to finishing school. He mentions thoughtful legislation - I am 500% sure of her capabilities as such and she does represent not just a name but a tradition - and she did start learning this with her pablum

Dec. 10 2008 11:33 AM
Caitlin from Sunset Park

Brian Lehrer for senate!

Dec. 10 2008 11:31 AM
Michael from Brooklyn

Watergate is/was the best scandal! It had everything! Even Martha Mitchel!!! If Caroline Kennedy is such a popular choice for Senator, why not Chelsae Clinton???

Dec. 10 2008 11:31 AM
Janet from Harlem from Harlem

Brian: THANK YOU so much for questioning the C.K. idea for replacing H.C. My thoughts the last few days---exactly. As a constituent (sp), I found it very upsetting and I bet Dems would be outraged if the tables were turned and it was George Bush's niece or nephew with no political experience getting a seat in Florida. If C.K. wants to be involved in politics she can run for an office and we can weigh her attributes. I can't even remember hearing her speaking, except to endorse Obama last fall. What's more, what we need now is someone who actually understands what it is like to live in society w/o a trust fund or a name which open doors---like a celeb. Or someone who has a personal stake in the endless war we are in.

Dec. 10 2008 11:31 AM
Catherine from rockville centre

I love Caroline Kennedy, but she is not a good pick.

Can SOMEONE (Brian that's you) explain to me why Nita Lowey's name doesn't even come up? Many were angry when Hillary ran because it was Nita's time.

Dec. 10 2008 11:29 AM
yourGo from Astoria

My favorite corruption is Vice President Dick Cheney former CEO of Halliburton obtaining a multi BILLION dollar no-bid contract for Haliburton in Iraq and no one said or did anything.

Dec. 10 2008 11:27 AM
david from NYC

Brian, whether your directly asking for a bribe for a senate seat or playing a political stategic game for your re-election like Governer Paterson its all the same.

Dec. 10 2008 11:26 AM
robert from park slope

We should fill the Senate vacancies in NY, Illinois and Delaware with the heads of the Big 3 Detroit firms. They would do less harm in a body where 97 other colleagues dilute their influence. Also, it would provide them with a more realistic paycheck -- although the perqs might be in line with what they're used to

Dec. 10 2008 11:08 AM
Marco from New York

Mrs. Schlossberg would make a great Senator...from Massachusetts.

Dec. 10 2008 10:47 AM
Sue /Long Island City

I'm sure Caroline Kennedy has many great qualities - but we need a proven political warrior....very hard times are ahead and our Senators need to be have at least some experience in lawmaking. I wish Chuck Schumer could appoint this one!

Dec. 10 2008 10:33 AM
michaelw from INWOOD

The fact that Caroline Kennedy is being considered is a disgrace.

I guess New York is selling it's senator seat as well.

Someone has to be getting REALLY paid off for this one.

The corruption in NY is just staggering.

People forget the Kennedy legacy Teddy dear dear Teddy killed a woman and got away with it.

Dec. 10 2008 10:12 AM