For the latest updates on the storm and your commute, check out our transit tracker

You Rent It, You Own It

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Klara Madlin, president of Klara Madlin Real Estate, talks about rent-to-own real estate deals, and renter Jill Vegas on her experience of entering into one of these deals in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

Klara Madlin and Jill Vegas

asd

Janet -- seriously, how is that bad?

That you have to pay the 199, you mean?

Dec. 10 2008 04:26 PM
Janet Stites from Harlem

Please warn your listeners. While listening to the show I searched "rent to own new york city". A site called RentalAds.com came up. Under NYC it has some listings which seemed incomprehensible: 3 bedroom on 10th St., 2 baths, "cute" mud room, washer dryer, two parking spaces, $1650. Another one bedroom 2300 sq feet, Columbus Circle $1700 pre month. Suspicious, I made a call and got a firm called Next Generation Real Estate. The guy told me that for a one-time fee of $199 they would send me a list of foreclosures in my area and I could contact the owner directly to arrange a walk-thru. The price was low b/c owners just want someone to take over their payment.PLEEEZE...http://www.rentalads.com/listings/18500/18518/condo.htm

Dec. 10 2008 11:18 AM
adsf

(In our neighborhood there are absolute dumps for rent and rent-to-buy for over 4 and 5K. Sad but they must go...AND THE GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO BUTT OUT...for the market to do its thing with integrity!)

Dec. 10 2008 11:00 AM
adsf

There is still a layer of suckers who paid double what their properties are worth. Some of those people are interested in renting to cover the mortgage. Personally I would not get involved w this kind of scheme until those people have moved on!!

Dec. 10 2008 10:58 AM
RIchard from Clinton Hill

How about rent-to-own for people like me who will never qualify for a mortgage because of moderate income and bad credit as a result of predatory credit card companies? I would be happy to do my part for the economy by entering into a sensible agreement that would help me find a home I can't be evicted from.

Dec. 10 2008 10:58 AM
Ed from westchester

rent to own is a free option for the renter if the rent amount is consistent with the current market. if home prices are lower at the end of the period they can renegotiate a lower price. if prices are higher than when they locked in they end up buying it below the market. no brainer.

Dec. 10 2008 10:57 AM
Tony from San Jose, CA

Banks are very restricted and are usually not allowed to own properties under any circumstances.

Dec. 10 2008 10:56 AM
MattyMac from Cobble Hill

Is the Mortgage rate locked in?

Dec. 10 2008 10:55 AM
MattyMac from Cobble Hill

Northside was probably started after many of those projects, just better funded.

Dec. 10 2008 10:54 AM
adsf

are such renters locked in to a price?

For potential buyers who believe the market has MUCH further to drop, that's a lousy deal.

Dec. 10 2008 10:52 AM
Ben from Brooklyn

Why rent to own? Why not just rent?

New York prices are falling, and anyone who tells you otherwise is either a real estate agent or didn't live here from 1989 to 1992.

Things will get MUCH worse over the coming three years and in any such market, owning or setting a price now makes ZERO sense if you can avoid it.

Dec. 10 2008 10:51 AM