Open Phones: Weight Loss Surgery

Wednesday, May 08, 2013

A study predicts 42 percent of Americans will be obese by 2030. (Tony Alter/flickr)

We learned yesterday that New Jersey Governor Chris Christie had Lap-Band weight loss surgery in February. We open the phoens: Have you had Lap-Band or another kind of weight-loss surgery? What was the experience like? Are you considering it and have questions about the process? Comment here or call 212-433-9692 at 11:40. Joining us to answer questions about bariatric surgery is Dr. Hans Schmidt, chief of bariatric surgery at Hackensack University Medical Center.

Dr. Hans Schmidt
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

lisa from Gainesville, GA

I always check with http://spiffyreview.com/category/weight-loss-diet-plans/ before I try anything or spend any money on weight loss or diet products, it's a review site of all kind of products.

May. 21 2013 10:35 PM

jgarbuz
Those are great tips but only when one's body is functioning correctly.

May. 08 2013 12:21 PM

I agree with Becky. Surgery - or even lap band - should be a last case scenario. I'm overweight but I don't need weight loss surgery measures because I don't have any other health problems. I understand why people like Chris Christie or Al Roker got surgery because they were near/at 400 pounds or more.

But I also agree that these people who need surgery are addicted to food, particularly foods with high levels of fat, salt and carbohydrates. I will say that once I quit those foods and started eating naturally, I don't have any cravings for that stuff anymore.

May. 08 2013 12:05 PM
Jim B

Please clarify the conditions under which this surgery is recommended, as opposed to other methods of weight loss. Has this method become more accepted, and is it no longer considered a last-resort option?

May. 08 2013 11:57 AM
JR from NYC

A friend of mine underwent gastric bypass and lost a lot of weight. Afterwards she lost a lot of hair.
She had a LOT of loose skin which she had removed through plastic surgery but it never looked right.
She gained quiet a lot of weight back after all that suffering so I guess not that successful.

May. 08 2013 11:56 AM
John A

I was forced to double my daily walk from 2.5 to 5 miles yesterday. Felt even more satisfied physically, naturally relaxed, if you will. Just a little ad for willpower, folks.

May. 08 2013 11:55 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Eating is a bad habit, like smoking or drinking, and your stomach is your enemy. You have to deny your enemy food, especially sugars and other carbohydrates. Anything that gives you too much pleasure is bad for your health in the long run. The answer is to drink lots of water and only eat when your stomach is practically grumbling for food. When you feel hungry, drink water.

May. 08 2013 11:50 AM
The Truth from Becky

Unless you literally weigh a ton, you shouldn't even consider surgery as a weight loss option. We have got to stop this!!

May. 08 2013 11:50 AM
balance

Chinese Medicine knows so much more about balancing metabolism - that's something to research. Any body can set itself right, the body knows what to do. Chi Gong is a way - you can balance hormones with that.

May. 08 2013 11:50 AM

IF Gov Christie's lap-band surgery had remained 'secret', would the voting public have been sold his weight-loss as a triumph of his will? You betcha...

Shameful that he kept it secret though the secret was bound to get out sooner or later.

BTW, I was born at Hackensack Hospital...before it became a University Medical Center...whatever that is.

May. 08 2013 11:49 AM
superf88

(oops! missing last word: "reveal? " )

May. 08 2013 11:49 AM
superf88

In the context of Christie, I am most curious to hear how other people who had this surgery decided to tell people in their lives.

In the case of Christie, he was blustering and lying about even needing to lose weight EXACTLY when he was actually having the surgery!

The secretive Republican --however "charming" -- is an archetype I am sure we've all had enough of, including most Republicans. What about Christie's character does hiding, and then admitting, this information?

May. 08 2013 11:48 AM
Rob from westchester

Please ask Dr. Schmidt about incidence of substance abuse, mainly alcoholism, post surgery.

I have a lot of anecdotal evidence of post baritric surgery patients who suddenly become very heavy drinkers where they didn't drink at all before.

May. 08 2013 11:47 AM
Anne Connolly from Rutherford, NJ

On the topic of problems with bariatric surgery - A friend of mine died during the surgery. This was at least 15 years ago. Maybe patient safety has improved for bariatric surgery since then. Still, obese patients off the bat aren't wonderful surgery candidates.

May. 08 2013 11:47 AM
John A

Fascinating that a man who would like to be instrumental in controlling millions of people could not control his own appetite.

May. 08 2013 11:45 AM
Robert from NYC

... and are YOU running for president? Is that why you had this surgery?

May. 08 2013 11:42 AM
Michael from NJ

Big deal, All the praise over Christie's decision ignores a simple fact. He is able to pay for lap band surgery and unable to control consumption.

Christie belongs to a party who thinks that the problem with obesity is with the consumer and not the manufacturer.

They believe in very limited food industry regulation. Many are addicted to food but cannot afford surgery.

Lack of empathy is the story!

May. 08 2013 11:37 AM

Doctors don’t seem to want to find the underlying reason for being overweight.
Doc told me to lose weight for 15 years. Turns out I had a food allergy and now the weight is melting off as well as other benefits. 9 inches from my belly in six months with even trying.
Any wonder west Europeans live longer than we in USA

May. 08 2013 11:09 AM
anonyme

Al Roker pooped in his drawers after his lap band surgery. I know a young, beautiful woman whose face soon lost all its color, mien lost its vivacity. Those are two accounts

May. 08 2013 11:06 AM