The Sequester's Real: Biomed

Wednesday, May 08, 2013

The automatic spending cuts are starting to be felt in a variety of areas that receive government funding. Sarah Gonzalez, New Jersey Public Radio reporter, discusses her reporting on how the sequester is leading to a cut in funding and the closing of labs in the local biotech industry.

Sarah Gonzalez

@Jim: All the US presidents have big expense budgets. The majority comes from security and gasoline that fuels transportation of Marine One, Air Force One, the President's limo and the Secret Service that travels with him. Also, I see that they tried to compare the US president's travel costs with that of the Queen of England. As I mentioned previously, the majority of costs for the US President cover security. US Presidents have experienced many more assassination attempts than any other head of state; four of them were successful. Its also worth noting that the Queen doesn't travel as extensively as she used to because she is in advanced age.

May. 08 2013 11:47 AM
Amy from Manhattan

I called my cousin in Va. a week or 2 ago, & he told me his daughter was just starting to be furloughed for 1 day every 2 weeks. (I don't remember which agency she works for, but if the cuts are across the board....) He said it's actually illegal for her to turn on her work Blackberry on her furlough day.

May. 08 2013 10:49 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

@ JIm

That's why I included the DHS in my criticism. I'm sure the NRA loves that the government is buying all these weapons and ammo - it creates more scarcity for their manufacturers to exploit.

Oh, well. Science is for dorks anyway.

May. 08 2013 10:43 AM
Max from Northern NJ

In the forty years from 1970 to 2010, federal spending increased from $926 Billion to $3.6 Trillion, an increase of 287.5%. In the same forty years, median household income increased from $41,358 to $51,360, an increase of 24.2%. The federal budget is growing 11.88 times faster than households' income. This is not sustainable.

The 2011 federal budget was 5.263% less than the 2013 budget. Was life really this difficult two years ago? How can sequester really be causing all of these disasters? Could it be that these crises are manufactured for political purposes?

May. 08 2013 10:42 AM

the larger trend war on science/knowledge. also american failing behind on many categories
makes us sick, literally

PS
where is the Large Hadron Collider (hint: not here)

May. 08 2013 10:42 AM
Daniel from Washington Heights

I am a researcher currently working in a biomedical research lab in Manhattan. I am CURRENTLY seeing several scientists leaving my lab and nearby labs, and I am attributing this to budget cuts.

Science is extremely poorly funded in this country in general. Society doesn't value scientists -- most PhDs that have over a decade of education and experience get paid slightly more than people with basic undergraduate degrees.

This ends up affecting scientific progress in the biomedical field; if you are smart, would you rather go into a higher paying field like economics and law, or live in constant poverty as a scientist?

May. 08 2013 10:41 AM
Jim

Looking for a better place to cut? Start here:

May. 08 2013 10:40 AM
Christy from Brooklyn

My grandmother passed away in March, and the sequester has meant that my family can't schedule a burial. My grandfather was in the military, and is buried at Arlington National Cemetery, and my grandmother has an adjoining plot - but because of furloughs and cutbacks, we haven't yet been able to schedule her burial, and have been told that we won't be able to for some months.

May. 08 2013 10:38 AM
Jim

@Bob

LOL. True, but private gun/ammo purchases are insignificant compared to government purchases. So, I don't think you can blame the NRA for sequester cuts.

May. 08 2013 10:36 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

This dumb, violent species buys guns and ammo in record numbers, yet, at the same time, cuts scientific research.

The DHS idiots and the NRA nuts are perfect for each other. Keep using up resources, dumb-dumbs!

May. 08 2013 10:29 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

Please correctly and honestly frame this whole segment as damage invented by and contributed to generously by Barack Obama, NOT the usual NPR portrayal as the sole work of evil Republicans.

OBAMA’S FAULT
New York Times - BILL KELLER (former editor-in-chief) - March 3, 2013

“But if you care about the long-term health of the country, the president has more to answer for than just inventing a particular type of fiscal time bomb. The large mess we are in is in no small part the result of missed opportunities and political miscalculation at 1600 Pennsylvania.”

“For weeks he has been playing the game political scientists call “Fireman First.” That’s when scaremongering politicians threaten to cut the most essential services. It’s true, the sequester is a grotesque and hurtful substitute for the kind of reforms the country needs. Bad things will happen.”

May. 08 2013 07:53 AM