Question of the Day: What Is There to be Thankful For?

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Are you facing lay-offs and foreclosures or other financial hard times? Call in or comment below about what you are thankful for, despite it all. Comment Below!

a woman from manhattan

I'm grateful that I can feel grateful -- a lot of people are suffering unspeakably and don't even have a moment to consider concepts like gratitude. I am a fortunate human being, and grateful for every comfort, friend, and asset I have. I am not greedy. Some have none, and any one of us could very easily join less unfortunate in the blink of an eye.

Nov. 26 2008 12:15 PM
Lila from Park Slope, Brooklyn

Honestly, everything. I am employed with health insurance. I live in a clean, safe neighborhood; I have a wonderful circle of friends who are kind and caring, a wonderful partner. My parents live close by, and I am healthy.

Nov. 26 2008 12:13 PM
hjs from 11211

tell that caller that the democratic congress extended her unemployment not worst ever president bush

Nov. 26 2008 11:55 AM
Guy Suabedissen from Piscataway, NJ

I'm thankful for the Depression genes my wife and I inherited from our parents and grandparents. We have been happy valuing basic comforts and small blessings and not bemoaning our lack of the excessive affluence that so many others strive for. The less you feel you need, the more you have.

Nov. 26 2008 11:54 AM
Dubya

Not to rain on the parade but this is kind of depressing in a made for movie sort of way.

Nov. 26 2008 11:50 AM
hjs from 11211

thankful the nightmare is almost over.
thankful amerikans have woke up
thankful a new president is coming
thankful things can't get worse

Nov. 26 2008 11:42 AM
YVAN from NEW YORK , NY

I AM THANKFUL TO GOD FOR GIVING GOOD HEALTH AND
ALSO FOR ANSWERING MY PRAYERS IN SEARCHING FOR
MY BELOVED ONE THAT I HAVE NOT SEEN IN SEVEN YEARS.
I FOUND HER AND NOW WE ARE HAPPILY MARRIED.MY
LIFE HAS CHANGED TREMENDOUSELY..

Nov. 26 2008 11:16 AM
Melissa from Brooklyn Heights

I'm thankful for a woman named Janice, who choose us (my husband and me) to place her daughter for adoption. We picked up our baby, Helen, when she was five weeks old and last month we finalized her adoption. I say a little prayer of thanks everyday for Helen joining our family. We're 46 & 49 years old and Helen has made us better people - we're also tired all the time - but it's worth it. So Helen's first thanksgiving will be a special one for our entire family and a great reason to give thanks!

Nov. 26 2008 11:14 AM
Sharon Mast from New York City

I'm thankful for the fact that we will finally have a president who can think, speak, and, most importantly, lead. I'm thankful that Americans put aside party allegiance and latent racism to elect the candidate whom we desperately need. I'm thankful that, for all these reasons, we can look ahead to better times as we sit down to celebrate the Thanksgiving with our friends and families.

Nov. 26 2008 11:07 AM
Diane from Long Island

I am thankful for good health, mine and my loved ones. Without it everything else is secondary. The economy has hit people in so many ways I am sure the stress of it all is an underlying health issue for people struggling through these rough times, especially mental health.

Nov. 26 2008 10:55 AM
O from Forest Hills

I am thankful for a loving and merciful God that loves everyone.

I am grateful Obama is President as of 1/20/09 and that gay people will be treated as first class citizens and given civil rights and the right to marry whom they love.

I am also grateful for love, harmony, abundance, prosperity and joy but most of all for love and faith.

Nov. 26 2008 10:39 AM
Edward Helmrich from Larchmont, NY

I'm thankful for the loyalty, dedication and fidelity of God. We have turned away from God by voting for someone who is pro-abortion, pro-embryonic stem cell research, and probably pro-euthanasia, pro-same sex marriage, maybe pro-infanticide.
But God is faithful, He won't leave us in our error and violence and crime. He will destroy our society, as we see in the economy so far, to bring us back to the truth, to goodness, to morality. For that, I am thankful.

Nov. 26 2008 10:28 AM
Naoko from Manhattan

I'm thankful for my family all of whom live in Japan and back me up to stay in NY for a year to do a volunteer at a nursing home. I'm thankful for my friends in NY. They make me never feel lonely. I'm thankful for NewYorkers whom I've met on the street, in the subway, at the deli. They helped me to get to my destination, to get on the right train, to say hello to me when I'm down.

Nov. 26 2008 10:01 AM
JohnG from Manhattan

I was laid off from a major Ivy League university in Manhattan in Aug 2007. While I found temp jobs, it wasn't until Sept 2008 that I finally found a permanent job with benefits. Through it all, my family and friends supported me and kept my spirits up. So, I'm thankful for a job, family, friends and especially my wife.

Nov. 26 2008 09:55 AM
Francyne from nyc

I'm thankful for my partner. He's really great and great with our dog for whom I'm also way thankful. I'm thankful for my friends. Thankful for having a great apartment at a reasonable rent walking distance to quotidian shopping and public trans. I'm thankful for my great wardrobe, my art collection, and my personal library.
Also, after a 7 year "exile" in Durham (Dullham)
NC, I'm thankful to have been back in NYC for 4 years.

Nov. 26 2008 08:26 AM
Sheri Berman from West Islip, New York

I am blessed to thank Brigette, an RN, and Analise, a social worker, for their tremendous support during my mother's ongoing illness. Both of these caring women work in a public community that provides low-cost services for senior residents. Their caring goes far beyond job title. They make regular visits to my mom's home and have supported me in some of the most difficult decisions of my life. In these hard times, I pray that programs some consider non-essential will continue to get funding to support all those in need.

Nov. 26 2008 07:21 AM