What's Your Social Media Pet Peeve?

Friday, May 03, 2013

What makes someone great on Twitter? What makes someone...suck? Franchesca Ramsey, designer, blogger, comedian, offers her social media etiquette advice and talks about some of the biggest social media pet peeves.

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

FB from nyc

I work for a small biz and they are having issues with FB.
FB's new algorithm practically forces business to fork over dollars if they want their posts to be viewed on their followers' walls.
The most FB will allow you to post is something like 4 times a day for free and then, if you go over that limit they will hurt your edgerank positioning and your followers see your posts show up on their wall less and less. Not cool FB!

May. 05 2013 02:50 PM
Franchesca Ramsey from NYC

@Danny from Brooklyn - I'm a comic and blogger, so yes, I tweet links my videos and appearances in addition to tweeting about a whole bunch of other things.

BUT there's a big difference between tweeting out a link which is then seen by everyone that voluntarily CHOSE to follow me, versus tweeting the same link directly to people (celebs, bloggers, news sources etc) that aren't following me. One is self promotion, the other is spam. Think of it this way, if I give you my phone number, clearly I'm ok with you calling me. But if I don't know you and you pick my number out of the phone book and try to sell me something, I'm going to be annoyed. While you might think this is common sense, sadly it isn't. Lots of small businesses and artists using Twitter to promote themselves make these mistakes. Learning the right way to use these tools is the best way to promote yourself online!

side note, I wish we could reply directly to comments...

May. 03 2013 03:41 PM
Danny from Brooklyn

I just took a look at this girl Chescaleigh's twitter, and she seems to be constantly promoting herself. Thanks for that ground-breaking discovery on spam being bad. What a segment!

May. 03 2013 01:12 PM
Franchesca Ramsey from NYC

@David Ezell from Seattle

Sure! It's not bad to tweet about yourself or your projects. But again, I try to balance my feed so its not "me me me" all the time, and is instead a mix of valuable content in addition to my videos etc.

RE: if you don't like it don't follow it - absolutely! But that doesn't mean the original behavior isn't still rude or damaging to one's personal brand online. There are lots of people I don't follow that continue to use social media to reach out to me and others in inappropriate ways. Nothing wrong with encouraging etiquette online and off!

Thanks for having me WNYC!

May. 03 2013 12:27 PM

Susan
She hates NYC u should unfriend that little Hussie.

May. 03 2013 12:12 PM

Salma
I so agree maybe I want to hear what u are eating,I don't so im not on fb but if I did I'm glad I can find it.
What happened to live and let live ?
Rudeness is when I have to hear your loud music!

May. 03 2013 12:07 PM
Henry from Manhattan

The Truth from Becky said:
“Cliche's....I hate cliche's....lol *smirk*”

I avoid clichés like the plague.

May. 03 2013 11:59 AM

another thing if you have a show page, you shouldn’t neglect those who post there in favor of those who post on commercial sites ie FB or twitter

May. 03 2013 11:58 AM
Susan from Upper West Sisw

Hahaha, I like my nieces baby photos. I spam a friend with photos of beautiful chocolate around New York City because she loves chocolate and doesn't love New York City. She hasn't unfriended me yet.

May. 03 2013 11:58 AM
jul from BKLYN

My pet peeve is when people complain what and how people use social media. It's SOCIAL media. If it annoys you - unplug.

May. 03 2013 11:56 AM
John from Brooklyn

Hashtags on facebook. WHY?!

May. 03 2013 11:56 AM
Colleen from Brooklyn

I work as an animator and comic artist and barely tweet - just when I've updated my site and I have content to share. Beyond that, I largely retweet my friends - even more rarely I tweet silly things for fun. Don't think I've tweeted recently since .... three weeks ago or more...curious as to how this applies to social media etiquette.

May. 03 2013 11:56 AM
Tobi from Brooklyn

Pet peeve: too many hash tags on Facebook.

May. 03 2013 11:55 AM
Salma from New York

I'm so sorry Brian, this segment is so judgmental and uppity. Just let people be. If you don't like what they're sharing don't look.

May. 03 2013 11:55 AM
MC from Manhattan

I am so sick of these hipster/ "downtown" types that end every sentence with a question mark as well as calling everything "Creepy"
keep your opinions to your self I find your inability to shut the hell up .......... creepy.....

Yay!

May. 03 2013 11:54 AM
Jeff

I'm curious what the general consensus is among social media types about people of an appropriate social media age who don't participate at all? no facebook, twitter, etc.

May. 03 2013 11:53 AM

@dboy...
awesome.
agree...

May. 03 2013 11:52 AM
David Ezell from Seattle

Has Ms Ramsey ever tweeted to promote her video?

May. 03 2013 11:52 AM
Jason from Chicago

The political share enhanced by a single, so-incisive "Yep."

Friends, can we all agree that your "yep" is inherent when sharing those Morgan Freeman quotes of dubious sourcing?

May. 03 2013 11:51 AM
Christine from Westchester.

What's the line from "Two Broke Girls"? (paraphrasing: ) "Twitter is for idiots and Instagram Twitter for people who can't read"

Read a book, read the paper. Put the phone down.

May. 03 2013 11:51 AM
Lena from Brooklyn

Maybe don't jokingly threaten to rape people you disagree with?
Also, stop writing vague, passive-aggressive comments about how unnamed people have betrayed you.

May. 03 2013 11:50 AM
Henry from Manhattan

Lack of critical thinking and assessing information.

People on social media are sitting in front of the Internet and it would take seconds to double-check facts before reposting something absolutely wrong.

There’s no excuse, Google is right there!

May. 03 2013 11:50 AM
art525 from Park Slope

Hold the presses! Spam is bad? Who knew? This couldn't be less interesting. Or informative. Bye bye.

May. 03 2013 11:50 AM
carolita from nyc

I think it would be great if my friends with babies would get facebook pages for the kids, because then I wouldn't have to see their baby updates all the time in my regular newsfeed. (Obviously I wouldn't follow their baby's page). I begin to think they ought to have special pages just for their marriages, too. Some people just never stop with the wedding photos, like years after the wedding. I know it's essential to the species to become focused on this one person with whom you're planning on reproducing with (or on the result of that reproductive activity), but really.

May. 03 2013 11:50 AM

zzz.

May. 03 2013 11:49 AM
Yosif from Manhattan

I hate mass tagging. If I'm not in the picture don't tag me! I especially hate fliers or jokes. Also, if you get a mass text, reply only to the sender - not everyone else, especially strangers!

May. 03 2013 11:47 AM

please don’t text and walk
there is nothing more selfish than you slowly walking up the subway stairs while u are reading your hand held computers.
remember there are 50 people behind you that have places to go

May. 03 2013 11:46 AM
John A

The frequently used claim that "I don't have any friends" when in reality it's just trolling for a throwaway relationship.
The need for friend counts in the hundreds. Hyper inflation anyone?
The need for people to listen to problems, but to never have to hear constructive criticism. (with blocks, bans or just reflexive bullying)
Blogging pictures of their dinner plate.

May. 03 2013 11:32 AM
The Truth from Becky

Cliche's....I hate cliche's....lol *smirk*

May. 03 2013 11:24 AM
Stacie

Definitely humblebragging. I'm interested in my friends' actual accomplishments, cool experiences and new jobs, but I don't need to read a status update about how the guy at Starbucks gave you a free latte because he thought you were hot.

May. 03 2013 10:56 AM

seeing how much (middle school!) kids reveal about themselves, and bully each other on ask.fm, which has taken the schools by storm and, since it's not US based, is beyond the reach of any US officials, unlike twitter, fb etc. talk about tmi

May. 03 2013 10:41 AM