Mark Bittman on Dinner Parties and Changing Your Diet

Friday, May 03, 2013

Mark Bittman talks about what to cook for the perfect dinner party. He’ll also talk about altering his diet to lose weight and be healthier. He shares his plan in his new book, VB6: Eat Vegan Before 6:00 to Lost Weight and Restore Your Health…for Good, and provides all the necessary tools for making the switch to a “flexitarian” diet.

Mark Bittman

That's right, our hard-earned, viewer-supported, PBS dollars at work...

May. 04 2013 09:21 AM

Has anybody seen this culinary celebrity circle jerk??

This is where Bittman mistakes himself for a celebrity and insinuates himself into a "star" studded cast of culinary "experts" including; Gwyneth Paltrow and Claudia Bassols(???)!

In case you missed it; it's "Bitty" and Batali - the two middle-aged leading "authorities" on Spanish culture touring the Basque countryside in a Mercedes convertible whilst fawning over two hot movie starlets.

I'm telling you, this is THE most illuminating document on Spanish culinary culture you'll EVER see!

What I want to know is this; What is the phone number of the pitchman that sold this to the PBS executives that green-lighted this project. I've got some Sandy-soaked swampland I need to unload!!

Ridiculous.

May. 04 2013 09:04 AM
whoah!

i had to log on just to say how shocked i was by how little bittman offered. he seemed annoyed at every question and really soured the whole show. he said it was always a pleasure to be on your show but it sure didnt sound like it! leonard you were so nice and personable..impressive that you didnt sway! i would have asked him what his problem was!

May. 04 2013 12:46 AM
glork

Please Mr. Lopate do not invite Mr. Bittman to return. What an indifferent
and hostile slug who contributed absolutely nothing to the topic. Sure cured me of any curiosity about his book, though.

May. 03 2013 11:34 PM

And Mr. Bittman, it's past time to stop whining about the small size of your NYC kitchen. Really.

May. 03 2013 06:09 PM
Mary C. from Connecticut

I don't get being a vegan only sometimes. Either you are or you aren't. Right? It's a philosophy, not a gimmick to lose weight. I think Bittman is pretty disrespectful to vegan practitioners (and I am NOT vegan).

May. 03 2013 03:08 PM
a listener

Wow, Mark did not make any effort to respond to the questions graciously and was rather obstinate throughout the entire interview. By the way, Leonard does not like being called "Lenny."

May. 03 2013 12:35 PM
Joel from Nyack

A perfect, simple desert, take a round slice of pineapple about 1/2" thick, cut out the center core and grill a few minutes on both sides. Then put a scoop of Hagan Daz coconut pineapple ice cream in the center. Fast and delicious.

May. 03 2013 12:32 PM

Wait a minute!!

Isn't "Best Matzoh Ball" a contradiction in terms??

May. 03 2013 12:30 PM
john from office

So mark, if I invite 4 people to dinner, should I have 4 place settings?? 4 glasses??

May. 03 2013 12:29 PM
Henry from Manhattan

“I let them!” Ha ha!

No way, leave that stuff! I didn’t invite you over to wash dishes, get into the living room, grab a beverage, relax, and chit-chat!

May. 03 2013 12:28 PM

Michael Pollan Light™

May. 03 2013 12:28 PM

...is there a culinary buzzword that hasn't been exploited??

May. 03 2013 12:27 PM
Amy from Manhattan

If you want to try a new variation on a tried-&-true recipe, how about cooking a regular batch of the t&t one & a smaller batch of the new version? If the new one's good, introduce it alongside the old one, & if not, just serve the original.

Or try a small batch of the new one by yourself ahead of time.

May. 03 2013 12:27 PM
molly

waiting for him to offer one good tip or comment .

May. 03 2013 12:26 PM
ann from Manhattan

is this guy obnoxious, or is it me? What a pretentious fellow. I like his recipes but I wouldn't want to go to his house for dinner. God forbid I bring WINE!!!!

May. 03 2013 12:22 PM
SKV from NYC

Could we get that caller's "Best Matzoh Ball" recipe?

May. 03 2013 12:21 PM

Oh, boy! More of the Bittman Industrial Complex!

It's remarkable how quickly it gets churned out!

May. 03 2013 12:21 PM
oy

All the great things NY has - its being normal to have people over for dinner is one that NY is lacking culturally - probably because of small spaces we tend to live in.

I have a cousin who used to quote George Bernard Shaw just before a dinner party - his wife was like "the fiend in human form."

Also it's our job to build our own resistance to big food or suffer the consequences

May. 03 2013 12:20 PM
ph

This is painful. Someone didn't prepare.

May. 03 2013 12:18 PM
Palisades from NYC

One more thing: DINNER CONVERSATION
Please be courteous enough not to discuss your dietary habits, gym workouts, home renovation and/or kids' achievements ad nauseum. Remember that it's not polite to talk about yourself a lot.

May. 03 2013 12:18 PM
Henry from Manhattan

Rum and Coke is a nice beverage, it’s not any worse than a gin and tonic.

A well stocked home bar can have a mini can of Coke or two.

May. 03 2013 12:17 PM
sanguinesque

Ugh! Bittman you are so glib and a terrible interviewee..and this diet book sounds so off-base!

May. 03 2013 12:16 PM
john from office

Wow, the questions here are amazing. So, mark when I cook, should I turn on the stove??, should I served Food??. Len this is painful.

May. 03 2013 12:15 PM

I believe to achieve great success, get a timer, and you must plan.

Cut everything far advance, that way you can wiz through everything...and are able to mingle instead of being int he kitchen all night!

May. 03 2013 12:14 PM
bob from brooklyn

How do you handle vegetarians, vegans, pescatarians, food allergies, etc? there seem to be an ever increasing amount of things people don't eat and the stress of figuring that out can be a daunting.

May. 03 2013 12:13 PM