Coming Down to Earth

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Cornel West, Class of 1943 University Professor in the Center for African American Studies at Princeton University and author of Hope on a Tightrope: Words and Wisdom, explains how we should move beyond post-election euphoria and get to work on what really matters.

Dr. Cornel West

CJAX

After reading the various posts, it is evident that if you disagree from the onset to this topic then a consensus can never be reached. One thing that bothers me as a black man is the comparison to "sitting on the back of the bus" Gay people don't have this issue b/c it's not always based on something overtly obvious, like skin color. Second point that many Gay people miss is the fact that during the civil rights era the Black church and their belief in GOD's laws is what their faith and belief system is based on. So opponents against Gay marriage are not hating on the people, it's the act and what it represents in relation to their beliefs that defines what they are against. Lastly I don't believe in Gay marriage but I do think that Gay couples who have been together for sometime do deserve the same rights for health care, death benefits, etc. And for those wanting to give examples of the Bible and people having multiple wives & concubines don''t understand the his story of when GOD gave his laws and how those laws were refined and changes when Jesus came.

Nov. 20 2008 01:03 PM
..... from NY

Hes the Pres of the USA not the Supreme Ruler. last time i checked the USA has a checks and balance system.

And the person who upset about "gay rights" Obama just won the Pres he was technically a Senator from Ill.... so what does laws outside his state have to do with him.

Blacks had to go thru many years of slavery, got killed and had to fight on many different levels to get basic rights.

relax and stop acting like Obama is the cause ya'll been having that issue for many years now. get mad at your/the local politicians in your district that stop it, that wasn't a congress or senate proposal. that was an internal state issue.

Obama is a blk man who is Pres. Not super man or Jesus. he wont be perfect

Nov. 20 2008 12:39 AM
jsb16 from NJ

If we have to preserve the definition of marriage, let's go back and look at the roots of marriage as a Western institution. How many wives did Solomon have? How many did Abraham and Isaac each have? How many marriages before the mid-1800s were for love, rather than property and inheritance and survival?

I'm very amused when I see Mormons, especially ranting about how "traditional families" have to be protected. This from a group that changed their definition of marriage to get Utah into the union.

I'm also highly amused by people who come right out and state that they think their opinions are always the truth. Way to let your intellectual blinders show there.

Nov. 19 2008 08:37 PM
The Truth from Atlanta/New York

KAI - you probably won't see this but I will always give you my opionion and it will always be the truth.

Nov. 19 2008 03:55 PM
The Truth from Atlanta/New York

You may not be gay Peter, but you are certainly a drama queen. We are all pretty much in agreement on that.

You just posted this: "They go on to report that civil unions in many states have LESSER benefits then marriage".

Is this not what I have been saying, isnt it?? isnt it?? Civil unions need to be redefined NOT MARRIAGE. Get over it.

Nov. 19 2008 03:54 PM
Kai from NYC

Truth:

You probably won't see this, but I have no proof that homosexuality is genetic/hereditary, nor do you have any proof that homosexuality is not. There is currently no conclusive study to determine whether homosexuality stems from nature or nurture, although a general survey of that literature would probably find that both are factors. This is most likely the case.

Regardless, your BELIEF that people choose to be gay is contrary to my BELIEF that being gay is not. We don't know and don't agree, and just because you know a tiny fraction of the gay population doesn't a point make. The truth is out there, but you aren't the truth, you're an opinion. Same here.

Nov. 19 2008 03:07 PM

And,

Then the same commentator goes on to share how much she loves WNYC.

So, you can support gay marriage and listen to WNYC.

Validation!

Nov. 19 2008 02:43 PM
Peter from Sunset Park

In the Slate.com Nov. 19 Culture Gabfest podcast, one of the Slate commentators says that gay marriage is the biggest civil rights issue of the past 40 years. The link is:

They go on to report that civil unions in many states have LESSER benefits then marriage.

Should we dismiss these views and call them Republican propaganda?

Oh wait, Slate actually reported on their election votes. 55 to 1 slate reporters voted for Obama (their own reporting). I guess there are some Democrats still left out there who think gay people count.

Nov. 19 2008 02:32 PM

Donald,

Have a good day.

Nov. 19 2008 01:54 PM

JTT,

Now I see. Yes, your idea is a good one, but may be a non-starter.

Nov. 19 2008 01:34 PM

Peter.
We are talking about gays!!!!!
not Muslims, not blacks, not whites.
and we are talking different!!!!!
not separate.

Nov. 19 2008 01:03 PM
jtt from nyc

peter,

i'm saying that the civil marriage should be the one that counts for everone. i am saying that the seperation of church and state should be absolute. i am in effect agreeing with you, but you seem not to want to agree with anyone.

Nov. 19 2008 01:01 PM

Donald:

So, should black and whites who get married have a "different" name for marriage too? Or would that be racist?

If A Jew and Muslim marry, should that have a special name too, not marriage?

See my point?

Seperate is not equal.

Nov. 19 2008 12:58 PM
Donald from NYC

Comparing me to a troll is polite?
Peter....Peter..PETER!!

Nov. 19 2008 12:56 PM
Donald from NYC

different and equal are fine.
In a musical situation one musician is not more important than another just because they play a different instrument.
a different kind of marriage for gays might be a good idea. different doesnt mean better or worse.

Nov. 19 2008 12:54 PM

Donald,

You said,

Why do you expect Republicans to be anti-gay?

-I didn't say that. I did say that I expect the republicans to be against gay marriage. It is in their platform. So, I take them at their word.

You said,

Why douse assume Obama will put gays into camps?

-Never said that. I was making a fair, historical point and you are being dramatic and rhetorical.

You said,

Why do you assume so much about people?

-Please be specific and I am happy to respond.

Where is my apology?

-I don't apologize for politely sharing my views.

Be well Donald.

Nov. 19 2008 12:52 PM

JTT:

Your tone is one of compromise, but are you really suggesting that separate or different is equal? I don’t agree with that. I will raise my kids that separate or different is not equal.

Nov. 19 2008 12:48 PM

Donald,

I appreciate any thoughts you may have that add to the conversation. However, if you wish to remain speechless, that is of course your right.

Not-Speechless-in-Sunset-Park

Nov. 19 2008 12:46 PM

Peter:
Why do you expect Republicans to be anti-gay?
Why do use assume Obama will put gays into camps?
Why do you assume so much about people?
Where is my apology?

Nov. 19 2008 12:46 PM

Me too D. LOL

Nov. 19 2008 12:43 PM

Mr. Truth (or Mrs. Truth).,

You are defining marriage as a religious union. It is not. Marriage is sanctioned by the state, with state and federal benefits. As long as marriage is a state, government sanctioned union, then all people deserve fair and equal access to marriage.

You are homophobic and bigoted because you know that marriage is state sanctioned, yet you want it held (as does Obama) to your religious interpretation which treats gays and lesbians as second class citizens.

You have lots of company and your bigotry is supported by most, but it is bigotry. The same way that slavery was finally overturned, someday gay marriage will be legal and our grandchildren or great grandchildren will look back and think, “Why were so many people, even the first black President, so concerned with who slept with who?”

Nov. 19 2008 12:42 PM
jtt from nyc

How about a "civil marriage" for any two adults, gay or straight. This would be the marriage that "counts" legalwise. Anyone who needs greater sanctification could have a religious ceremony as well, opting for the denomination that best reflects their own particular predjeduces.

Nov. 19 2008 12:41 PM

Peter....I'm speechless.

Nov. 19 2008 12:39 PM

Well Donald,

Now you have added some solid substance. So we agree that being against gay marriage is a second class agenda. But you suggest that Obama hasn’t acted on it yet. That is a good point, I don't agree, but good point.

One, he is President-Elect and conveys a lot of influence. Heck, find me a time, once, ever, that Biden came out against gay marriage until he was the VP nominee. I bet he never did…until two or three months ago. Two, Obama is setting the Democratic agenda and has been clear that gay marriage is anti-Christian and therefore, gay marriage must be against the law.

Please know that I am not comparing Obama to Hitler, but look at history. How did the holocaust start? Different rules and laws for different people. How does any genocide start? Different standards and laws for different people.

I do have a double standard in this regard, but we (I) expect republicans to be anti-gay marriage. I don’t approve, but I expect it. But when the Dems join in with this anti-gay stuff, it is really, really troubling for our country. Intolerance and hate (yes, it is hate), can never lead to good.

Nov. 19 2008 12:34 PM

Peter is now invisible.

Nov. 19 2008 12:30 PM
The Truth from Atlanta/New York

Wow, I have been called a bigot twice in my life now. Amazingly I am not affected, now I know why real bigots are unmoved by this slander. LOL I am not a bigot, and I agree mary who you love, but if they are not of this opposite sex in this country, it is a civil union by definition. Two people of the same sex CANNOT procreate!!

And President Elect Obama is NOT a BLACK LEADER, he is the President of the most powerful nation in the WORLD!! Please get it right!

Nov. 19 2008 12:27 PM

Peter:
I like your style man.
First act like Im attacking you and then follow up by comparing me to a troll.
i never stooped as low as you just did.
Just because obama (might have) said he was against gay marriage. Doesnt mean he will treat them as 2nd class citizens.

Nov. 19 2008 12:25 PM
O from Forest Hills

I think a lot of Christian Fundamentalists have a heard time getting past the Bible to see the civil rights issue at hand. The Bible says gays are going to hell in Leviticus 18:22 and that homosexuality is an abomination, for someone brought up in that, they have a hard time getting past that. Some people only see the world through the Bible and can't get past it to see the real picture before us that religion is used to suppress people, in this case gays and it is a convenient excuse to bully people.

Nov. 19 2008 12:23 PM

Mr. Truth,

Time for some truth. You are anti-gay. You want different rights for gays and straights.

If someone said, “I love black people, they shouldn’t be allowed to marry,” well then they would be racist.

You are saying, “I love gay people, they just can’t marry and they are unnatural and broken as human beings.” That is bigoted and homophobic.

You want some truth, you got it brother (or sister).

Nov. 19 2008 12:23 PM
BL Show from Varick St. Studios

[[BL Moderator Writes: To phrase that a little more directly. If we DON'T continue to be productive, comments will be removed.
Thanks,
-BL Show-]]

Nov. 19 2008 12:23 PM
BL Show from Varick St. Studios

[[BL Moderator Writes: In general, this conversation is going well in that people are treating each other with civility and discussing difficult issues in a productive manner. Please try to keep that in mind as we continue to post. Thanks,
-BL Show-]]

Nov. 19 2008 12:21 PM

Donald:

You attack and refuse to offer arguments or ideas. You are playing the part of a troll - all bark, no substance.

President-elect Obama said during the debates with Clinton and McCain that he was against gay marriage – Biden did as well. That is treating people who are gay and lesbian as second class citizens. If you are unable to find a link to any of these debates, then you just aren’t looking hard enough.

Donald, I support my views with facts. You talk about people on forums and refuse to add content. Please join the converation instead of just dancing around it.

Nov. 19 2008 12:19 PM
The Truth from Atlanta/New York

Listen up everyone, I am not opposed to someone being gay, eat, drink and be GAY! I am opposed to changing the current definition of marriage and I have not yet heard a good reason why it should change. Change the "civil union" benefits, that is really what gay people want.

Nov. 19 2008 12:19 PM

Bored:
Im all for people who love each other getting hitched.
Im also for not comparing the struggle of African Americans to the struggle of homosexuals.

Nov. 19 2008 12:18 PM
The Truth from Atlanta/New York

KAI: homosexuality is NOT genetic, not like being born a hemaphrodite. All the gays I know unfortunately were sexually abused as children causing them some sexual identity confusion and not to mention the physical and mental trauma.

Nov. 19 2008 12:17 PM

The Truth:

I find it troubling when African American leaders like President Elect Obama become oppressors and purveyors of hate. I look forward to the day that gays and lesbians are not asked to sit at the back of the bus by people of color. Apartheid against anyone is wrong Mr. Truth. I hope that the African American community and both political parties start to agree with that.

Nov. 19 2008 12:16 PM
AWM from UWS

Peter:

I suggest that you, rather than rant about Obama and how he hates gays here, write a letter to David Geffen. He was among the first supporters of Obama and he should be aware of his hatred.

You used to rant about how Obama hates Jews so I guess you should write a letter to Rahm Emanuel and alert him as well.

Nov. 19 2008 12:15 PM

TARA: Who is "they"

Nov. 19 2008 12:15 PM

Peter:
its not personal my friend. Im not attacking you these are my opinions that I have of the way you discuss issues. You seem unable to see other peoples points of view. Its not a personal attack...

Nov. 19 2008 12:15 PM
BORED

Also why do you care if Gay's get married how does it affect you? just wanna pick the mind of a bigot.

Nov. 19 2008 12:14 PM
BORED

Truth I am not Gay i'm just not a bigot like you are. When bigots like you are done bullying gays whats next? I'm left-handed and i were glasses are you gonna start denying me or worse taking away rights from me.

Nov. 19 2008 12:13 PM
O from Forest Hills

Gays should be allowed to marry whomever they love.

I am heterosexual and have the choice to marry any man I want, why shouldn't gays have that right. It doesn't diminish my marriage or take away from my life.

Give them marriage and let us all get on with life.

Nov. 19 2008 12:13 PM
Donald from NYC

Peter: could you give some links to where you get your evidence about Obama treating gays as 2nd class citizens?

Nov. 19 2008 12:10 PM
The Truth from Atlanta/New York

Thanks for the heads up Donald. I get it now.

Nov. 19 2008 12:09 PM

The Truth:

Please don't compare gay love to sleeping with cows. That type of hate is over the top.

Nov. 19 2008 12:09 PM

Donald:

Personal attacks against me are caddy, rude and should beneath you. If you have a point to make, then make it. But please stop the personal attacks. This should be a safe forum where we treat each other with respect.

Nov. 19 2008 12:07 PM
The Truth from Atlanta/New York

PETER: Also, if you don't assume I am a MAN I won't assume you are a GAY.

Nov. 19 2008 12:05 PM

AWM:

I suggest you read a bit about the holocaust and slavery. When people are treated as less then human, they are treated as less then human. Obama treats gays and lesbians as back of the bussers, second class humans. Obama's religious zeal is leading him down a path of hate and intolerance. I hope that Obama is able to fight back his Christian version of Sharia law tendencies.

Nov. 19 2008 12:05 PM
The Truth from Atlanta/New York

PETER: I remember the march, it is very clear that there were other races their other than Black.

You can choose to sleep with a cow for all I care, but why should we alter the definition of marriage so you can do so?

If gay people want to reap the benefit of their partners death, obtain the ability to cover each other on insurance, co-pay or what ever the specific goal...then say so! Don't cover this up in civil rights and compare yourselves to a racial minority group, different type of minority.

Nov. 19 2008 12:05 PM
Kai from NYC

Truth, you're not responding to the real issue: homosexuality is genetic.

As you seem to state, homosexuality is not genetic. If you don't agree with that fact, then obviously you will not support what you see as a lifestyle choice over traditional roles and reslationships.

Nov. 19 2008 12:05 PM

Truth:
Peter is wrong about most everything. He lumps issues together that otherwise have no relation to each other. Its not worth arguing with him. Hes made up his mind on everything and is not willing to listen to other points of view. Its a shame.

Nov. 19 2008 12:02 PM
The Truth from Atlanta/New York

BORED: What job application have you ever seen with Black, White, Spanish, other or GAY on it? NONE! Choosing your sexual partner is not equal to ethnicity.

Nov. 19 2008 12:02 PM

Thr Truth:

You are wrong. Being gay is natural and human. Trying to devalue gays, like Obama does, is not a good thing. History is pretty clear about what happens when societies mark people as less then human.

Black people are treated as second class citizens = slavery and apartheid.

Jews are treated as second class citizens = WWII and the concentration camps.

Gays and Lesbians are treated by President-elect Obama as a lower species of human = God help us.

Nov. 19 2008 12:00 PM
The Truth from Atlanta/New York

@BORED #17 and #18 - So if they choose to be gay then BE GAY!! That does not mean we need to change the definition of marriage!! and if any Black person knows the roots of our mistreatment it is me! Also as for your last comment "buy a big house and own slaves" seemed to be the only other option to the mistreatment, you need to do more research this may cure you of your boredom.

Nov. 19 2008 11:59 AM
AWM from UWS

I don't agree with the way Peter goes about making his point but yours is a really bad argument, truth.

Anyone who compares the oppression of African Americans to the oppression of homosexuals is totally lost and way off the mark BUT being a homosexual is not a choice, it is genetic.

White homosexuals have choices, uncomfortable choices, but choices nonetheless. Not that I believe they should, but a white person can be who he or she is yet still live free of the disadvantages that African Americans have faced and face today. The history of racism and scapegoating as always been based, first and foremost, on physical appearance, real or exaggerated.

Personally, I think the Prop 8 result was a disgrace. Let people be who they were born to be. Why subject people to a public display of rejection resulting in a government directive that suppresses the right of individuals to express their love for one another? It's wrong.

Nov. 19 2008 11:56 AM
The Truth from Atlanta/New York

@#15 Peter you are wrong, they are not equal. White gays and Black gays are treated differently within in the gay community thus, not the same thing except for the human factor.

Nov. 19 2008 11:55 AM

The Truth:

Being gay is not a choice for most. A handful of folks choose to experiment with people of the same sex, but current science is clear that being gay is nature, not nurture.

Your view is frankly a typical bigotry and prejudice against gays and lesbians. Referring to people as unnatural is a way to devalue their existence.

And by the way, I am not gay. I am straight. Would you assume that I could only support civil rights if I was black?

You really need to do some deep soul searching Mr. Truth.

Nov. 19 2008 11:53 AM
David from New York

I really find the "my brother" this and "my brother" that quite annoying.
If I had to sit in one of his classes and listen to this kind of language, I think I'd pull my hair out.

Nov. 19 2008 11:51 AM
BORED

Also so what if they choose to be Gay. Thats all the more reason to give them equal rights. So @ Truth u might need to your change your name to stupid uninformed opinion.

Nov. 19 2008 11:49 AM
BORED

The problem is that most black people don't understand the roots of their mistreatment. This is why you have comments like #10. The Story is told about federick Douglas meeting two slaves and asking them what they would do with freedom and on replied that he would buy a big House and own slaves.

Nov. 19 2008 11:47 AM
Tara from New York, NY

I personally like Mr. West and I agree with a lot (but not all) of what he says. However, I would like to say that I often get very tired of academics bashing "the system" when they have profited and benefited so greatly from the very systems that they ridicule.

Nov. 19 2008 11:46 AM

The Truth:

I disagree, and this is the core of the issue. Being gay, for most, is not a choice (sure, some folks think it is cool to be gay for a year or two). Being black is not a choice. They are the same thing. Human rights = human rights.

Nov. 19 2008 11:46 AM
O from Forest Hills

#10

There is a lot of scientific evidence that states that gay people can't choose to be gay, they are wired that way. If they are wired that way, they don't have a choice either. Neither being gay or a skin color is a choice. A gay man will choose men and a gay woman will choose women for their sexual partners. They can't help it.

Nov. 19 2008 11:45 AM
JJ

How can Obama be a triumph of blacks when he is half white and was raised by white people?

Isn't a testament to mixed race people and the ability and open mindedness of white people to raise such children?

Nov. 19 2008 11:44 AM
kevin from park slope

Oh brutha. Cornell West is sooo pretentious.

Nov. 19 2008 11:43 AM
The Truth from Atlanta/New York

Please esteemed professor, stop referring to Brian Lehrer as "brother" he is not relating to you on that level.

Nov. 19 2008 11:42 AM
The Truth from Atlanta/New York

Peter: I don't know why this is so difficult for some of you gay people to understand. African Heritage and Gay Sexual preferences DO NOT have anything in common. It is a moral decision.

Here maybe this will clear it up for you, you can choose your sexual partner you CANNOT choose your racial DNA!

Nov. 19 2008 11:41 AM
alexg from BK

While I do like listening to Mr. West and agree with his suspicions of Clintonites, I'd like to know what his definition of conservatism and regulation is. He seems to have it very skewed. Ronald Regan was not a true conservative and deregulation is not the devil everyone claims it to be. Regulation has actually created more problems that it has fixed. (I'm not talking about wall street in that regard).

Nov. 19 2008 11:40 AM
Hugh from Crown Heights

Maybe Mr. West can comment on his feelings about some of Obama's choice in advisers. Lawrence Summers played a key role in forcing West out of Harvard by dint of Summers's sheer obnoxiousness and through charges (about West's teaching) which proved to be outright falsehoods.

Nov. 19 2008 11:33 AM

Donald:

With all do respect, the only media I pay attention to is public radio, the major newspapers, and the bigger podcasts like Slate podcasts – oh, and I have a soft spot for the Howard Stern show. Every now and then I will read the Weekly Standard, the Economist and other major magazines, but the media I get is 90+% public radio. And public radio (which I adore) has been pretty silent about gay rights this election cycle.

How can we (or I) not take notice that an African American president was elected the same day that gay marriage initiatives were struck down in three states. To see people literally dancing in the streets was kind of sick considering that people, including Obama and Biden, voted to make gays and lesbians into second class citizens.

Take a step back. The Democratic party has a president who is against gay marriage because the bible tells him so. Sound like any president we know?

I simply am trying to understand why the African American community and Democrats (or at least, some in these communities), see things otherwise. My own sister is bi-sexual and was a huge Obama supporter, even over Clinton. And even my sister has been totally silent on gay marriage. Even gays and lesbians seem to be circling the wagons around a guy (Obama) who wants them at the back of the bus.

I don’t understand why you would worry about spin when gays and lesbians are being treated to a big serving of gender apartheid.

Nov. 19 2008 11:04 AM

Hi Peter,

"Please ask Dr. West, how do African Americans who oppose gay marriage rationalize their position considering the years and years of slavery, apartheid and unequal treatment their people have faced? "

What kind of question is this? You cannot equate what African Americans have and are going through with the struggle of the gay community.
They are both important but this is just insane the way the media has been playing them off each other.

Nov. 19 2008 10:24 AM
Donald from NYC

"BRUSSELS—The Americans who voted for Barack Obama as president were promised change they could count on, but it rather looks as if they may actually be asked to make do with a mildly refurbished Clinton administration, with many of the same officials and nearly all of the same policies. The policies are drawn from the same centrist Democratic Party sources as those of Bill Clinton, and Obama’s admirers might even find themselves with Hillary Rodham Clinton as secretary of state—which makes no sense whatsoever. "
By William Pfaff
Could your guest comment? I feel like this is on the minds of many Americans right now.

Nov. 19 2008 10:12 AM
Peter from Sunset Park

Recently (this month), Talk of the Nation published an opinion podcast by someone who declared herself an African American lesbian. To greatly summarize her points, she basically stated that even though she is a lesbian, gay and lesbian issues are seen as a white issue by African Americans. She (sorry, forget her name), went as far as to suggest that white gays and lesbians need to approach African American leaders and explain gay rights and gay ballot initiatives to them if they want blacks to vote for gay marriage issues at the ballot box.

What does Dr. West think of such ideas? As a white guy with several gays and lesbians in my family, I always thought that black rights and gay rights were tied together as human rights. Also, as a Jew, I never understood the deep anger and hate that often exists between Jews and blacks - It just always seemed obvious to me that bigotry and hate is all tied together.

Nov. 19 2008 10:12 AM
Norman from NYC

Cornel West is on his book tour. I just heard him on Democracy Now.

West left Harvard in part because of Larry Summers. West said that Summers was brilliant, but had problems getting along with people.

West held a fund-raising party for Obama in Princeton, but he was concerned that Obama was packing his administration with Clinton people. The Clinton Administration did a lot of harm to black people and the poor, by filling the prisons with mandatory minimum sentences, by cutting back on welfare, etc. West said we have to push Obama away from the "center."

Nov. 19 2008 10:06 AM
BL Show from Varick St. Studios

[[BL Moderator Writes: A few comments have been removed for violating the WNYC posting policy. Please keep it civil, and please do not post as other people. This means you, contrasound.
Thanks,
-BL Show-]]

Nov. 19 2008 10:01 AM
Peter from Sunset Park

As a scholar of African American studies and American history, could you please ask Dr. West what he thinks about Obama’s support of apartheid against gays and lesbians? Is it really progress when the first black president is elected the very day that three states vote against gay marriage? Is it really progress when Obama states over and over again that gay and lesbians should be treated as second class citizens with fewer rights then “straight” Americans? Does being African American give Obama a free pass on human rights? Does being black mean Obama can tell others to sit on the back of the bus? When hate crimes are committed against gays and lesbians, will Obama express outrage or claim his huge role in flaming the fires of hate and intolerance?

Nov. 19 2008 08:08 AM