Bill de Blasio on Housing, Stop-and-Frisk

Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Bill de Blasio New York City Public Advocate and candidate for mayor, reacts to Mayor Bloomberg's speech in defense of the NYPD and talks about his plan for affordable housing and other campaign issues.

Bill de Blasio

Chris D. from Bed-Stuy

The stop and frisk problem is really unconstitutional. It subjects people to unwarranted search and seizure by the police. But stop and frisk has helped drive down the gun crime rate in NY by preventing criminals who would carry guns from doing so by the threat of a stop.

However, even with stop and frisk, crime is still much higher in Black communities with Black men being the vast majority of victims and perpetrators of crime. Crime and police stops will continue to burden those communities until those within these communities are able to increase the quality of life for themselves. Neighborhoods like mine and Michael's have transformed for the better. But I fear that if we cannot transform the communities from within, we will be replaced with those that will. And decent folks like Michael and I will not be part of the transition.

May. 01 2013 02:36 PM

Michael, I do read your posts. Becky is right, you normalize the negative environment you speak of - whether its the cops or the robbers.

FACT: Only 2% of stops result in a weapon being found - and most of those stops come from a crime in progress (something the police never tell you). So even if they didn't have stop and frisk, the number of weapons recovered would be the same because the police would've stopped the perp anyway. The reason why crime got out of hand 20 years ago is because the police stopped doing their job in communities like yours.

"I also witness young/not-so-young mothers yelling at their crying babies, shaking them, threatening them and then punching them in the face almost everyweek on my way to work (their way to school) and then realize its no wonder the community is so dysfunctional, it starts so young with physical and emotional abuse."

Where are the fathers of these children??? Why are fathers not intervening in such negative behavior towards their children? Again, it goes back to the expectations of men. If men are expected to do better, their communities will do better. You won't have children being abused and those children won't grow up to want to put a bullet in someone's body.

"Your comments show you live in a bubble, maybe a safe, rich neighborhood where nobody is carrying a gun, nobody litters, nobody ever curses or crosses the street on a red light. You seem to be out of touch with what it means to live in a genuinely dangerous and poor neighborhood... THATS THE PROBLEM: The rich/middle class live in a different universe and want to impose their idealism onto a much different and meaner reality of what is actually happening."

No one lives in a different universe. In every socioeconomic system, people ARE EXPECTED to act like they have some sense. The only difference is that people in rich and middle class communities have involved, responsible, active MALES that prevent their communities from becoming unlivable. And these male forces aren't political leaders. They are common folks like YOU. YOU have more power to change the course of a neighborhood then any police officer. The only question is do you have the initiative to do so. I live in one of those "nice" neighborhoods. There isn't alot of violent crime because MEN control their communities. If police came into these areas with a stop and frisk policy, there would be HELL TO PAY because the men wouldn't allow it.

I don't know you, nor do I need to. But the fact that you don't advocate for men like YOU to take back their communities speak volumes.

May. 01 2013 12:46 PM

May. 01 2013 12:46 PM
Kat from Astoria

Michael from BKNY was the voice of reason in this whole discussion. Do me a favor Michael, next time Brian has a mayoral candidate on to talk about Stop & Frisk or the police-call & give your perspective. You're right. Lots of people who listen and comment on this show don't hear bullets at night, don't fear for their safety, don't have bars on all windows, don't see children having children, drugs dealt, and babies being slapped by parents who don't know about parenting. If they did have this experience, you bet they'd be crying for the cops. There are lots of hard-working people living in neighborhoods like yours. They are struggling, scrimping and saving to give their families a better life, and hopefully move out someday. They're happy to see a cop here and there. It means less hassle for them, trying to get on with their day. I think if you asked Quinn, deBlasio, Thompson, or Liu to live in your neighborhood for a week in the bad old days they'd change their tune pretty quickly. Thanks again for speaking up and see you again on this forum.

May. 01 2013 12:13 PM
The Truth from Becky

Ok Michael, be safe young man.

May. 01 2013 11:43 AM
michael from BK NY

Lady J - what are you talking about?? Do you know me? Do you knwo what I say or do? Hpw dare you accuse me of staying quiet. And you don't know who I am referring to, they are very violent and dangerous people and if you think touchy-feely friends can or will change them and their lifestyle you are nuts. I am talking about people who deal drugs to support their multiple kids with multiple women meanwhile living at home with momma and who couldn't care less about social responsibility or guilt or whatever, you are clueless.

I am speaking out because their won communities do nothing to stop them and the police are the LAST line of DEFENSE against the dysfunction that creates them. I have no idea what you are talking about or accusing me of. But you do seem self-righteous and ignorant. Read my posts

May. 01 2013 11:31 AM

michael from BK NY, you're actually part of the problem.

"Do I know people who have lots of illegal guns and assault rifles they brag about carrying around the city with them (in suit/dress bags) YES I do too. So there are many guns out there..."

Michael, what have you done to try to influence the people that you know have guns NOT to have them? What have you done to try to raise the expectation of men in your neighborhood? Understand that people like YOU will do more to save the lives of men then any political leader. As long as men like YOU stay quiet and allow other men to act irresponsibly, men like YOU will continue to be subject to police abuse AND be killed by another man. Realize that the reason why men of every other ethnicity except Black don't kill and disrespect each other because those men support and positively challenge other men in their neighborhoods.

May. 01 2013 11:25 AM
michael from BKNY

You know what Becky? Its a small price to pay for the massive reduction in crime and violence around here, trust me. Your comments show you live in a bubble, maybe a safe, rich neighborhood where nobody is carrying a gun, nobody litters, nobody ever curses or crosses the street on a red light. You seem to be out of touch with what it means to live in a genuinely dangerous and poor neighborhood. I envy you and yet I also think you do not have the life experience to qualify you to make any sort of decisions for those of us who do live in these types of neighborhoods. THATS THE PROBLEM> The rich/middle class live in a different universe and want to impose their idealism onto a much different and meaner reality of what is actually happening. In your world I guess nobody would hit their kids but they do here, constantly), have drug and alcohol problems (but they do here), have no education or job skills/training (""), et etc etc

May. 01 2013 11:22 AM
The Truth from Becky

The sad part dear Michael is that you have normalized this, it's not that you have nothing to hide in your backpack, you are an innocent person walking the public street, that fits a profile and that is why you are being stopped! It's good that you have nothing to hide but in the real world you are NOT supposed to be illegal stopped and searched! The backpack portion of your comment let's me know I am waaaay older than you, just realize that this is not something that citizens endure in other parts of town son. SMH.

May. 01 2013 11:12 AM
MIchael from BKNY

PS Like I said I have been stopped, frisked at least twice, had my backpack checked at least 3-4 times, I DONT CARE. IT DOESNT BOTHER ME> NOTHING TO HIDE> SO WHAT?? It has stopped people shooting each other at night and shooting random bystanders (except for a few weeks ago when 2 people were shot in the head on my corner, just because they were in the wrong place at wrong time) ....

SO we obviously NEED this.

May. 01 2013 11:06 AM
michael from BKNY

KAt - Sure, guess what? I am liberal! Haha, its just that none of the people involved in this discussion live in a crime-ridden neighborhood, and the local politicians (Eric Adams, etc etc) only show up for the photo ops and then say whatever is popular and leave. Trust me, all my black, latino, asian, indian, neighbors all agree, we are so much better off than ever before. You can actually contemplate a life here instead of a nervous break-down on how yuo are ever going to leave if you can't afford 2500 rent.

I think it boils down to a level of social dysfunction that is so deep and widespread that nobody wants it to change because they are lost in it. I also witness young/not-so-young mothers yelling at their crying babies, shaking them, threatening them and then punching them in the face almost everyweek on my way to work (their way to school) and then realize its no wonder the community is so dysfunctional, it starts so young with physical and emotional abuse. Anger, violence, rage and inept parenting skills are evident every day. I grew up in the Bx and am not a newbie to NYC but really am still shocked by what I see in poor neighborhoods all the time.

I think the anger at police is really shame and anger at the dysfunction being laid bare by their enforcement. Do they sometimes go too far and abise their power? YES, but overall their presence is necessary and I have also witnessed many occasions in which they acted with restraint and lots of professionalism in the face if hostile and angry people, drunk, drugged, etc.

May. 01 2013 11:03 AM
The Truth from Becky

To all of you who are waving the banner for stop and frisk, who can't seem to connect to the emotion behind it..to those of you who are poo pooing the idea calling it a "liberal" notion and it can't be that bad...I wish you a stop and frisk experience, just once in your life, come back and update us afterwards...thanks.

I have never had the displeasure, but I can connect to the emotion.

May. 01 2013 10:57 AM
Squat Bully

Enough of this whining, nasel-voiced short little napoleon bully Bloomberg

May. 01 2013 10:56 AM
Bobby G from East Village

All Bill de Blasio has is attacking the Mayor and Christine Quinn. Stop and Frisk will come down when people in the communities where it is a problem get just as outraged about their young with illegal guns. Where is the "No Guns" campaign? Who is working with the police to report illegal gun possession? Instead it's, "don't snitch."

De Blasio is not really talking to these communities about shared responsibility. For him it's all the police's fault.

May. 01 2013 10:54 AM
Kat from Astoria

MICHAEL from BK NY. Thank you for writing. YOU are the voice these limousine liberals/champagne socialists don't hear often enough. I live in a safe neighborhood in Astoria and cannot imagine the stress of living in a crime-ridden neighborhood. I would be terrified if I heard gunshots at night and would be thankful for police presence. Also, if police can recover guns and other weapons from Stop & Frisk it serves the community at large. I am absolutely in favor of giving it a re-vamp and improve relations with the affected communities, but you just gave a perfect example as someone who's had the experience why it's worthwhile.

May. 01 2013 10:53 AM

Why did de Blasio specify he wants more affordable housing only in the outer boroughs? We need more affordable housing everywhere, including Manhattan.

May. 01 2013 10:50 AM
thatgirl from manhattan

deBlasio, at the very least, offers us, as a candidate, an sound alternative to Quinnberg. Thank Jah.

May. 01 2013 10:49 AM
Amy from Manhattan

It's not just land--the tax code also gives incentives for leaving storefronts vacant, which delays new businesses & the jobs they'd provide.

May. 01 2013 10:48 AM
michael from BK NY

I live in Crown Heights near flatbush and church (bet chirch and empire put it that way...)

When I moved in 10 yrs ago it was UN-LIVABLE here, GUNSHOTS every night, murders weekly/monthly. You couldn't sit near a window in the summer much less wlak down the street at night.

NOW? Its almost as safe as Park Slope, almost....

So whatever the police are doing WORKS WELL and they should keep doing it. Have I been stopped and frisked? YEs, so what? I don;t care, nothing to hide. Do I know people who have lots of illegal guns and assault rifles they brag about carrying around the city with them (in suit/dress bags) YES I do too. So there are many guns out there and you do not always know who has them.

Oh, and are the people in my neighborhood dysfunctional and constantly do things against their own interest?? YES

May. 01 2013 10:47 AM
steve from Upper west side

Mayor Bloomberg has NEVER been a fan of the U.S. Constitution, from the RNC protests in 2004, Central Park and Occupy to Stop & Frisk -- he and Ray Kelly hide behind "public security", "9-11", and now "Boston", using fear to push through his anti-Constitutional agenda of unchecked police power. We desperately need NYPD oversight, as the CCRB is toothless, and the city spends far too many millions of taxpayer dollars defending against and then paying out settlements for law suits. We need the police to return to working FOR their people, not against them. We need our communities to again feel safe from their cops, not just from their crooks. Bloomberg has been and continues to dismantle the Constitution in ways Al-Qaeda never could, and as such, he hands the terrorists their biggest victory yet.

May. 01 2013 10:46 AM
Kat from Astoria

Bill deBlasio doesn't know where the rubber meets the road. How does he propose to pay for this Inspector General additional oversight? I bet it's city taxpayers who will have to shoulder this burden when if as as mayor Bill deBlasio will just think he can squeeze us for more. No Democratic candidate has a plan for changing the policing of the city. They're out of ideas. My vote for mayor will based on how I think any of them will deal with a crisis. Where will deBlasio stand during a transit strike? A huge snowstorm, a hurricane, a blackout? Will he give the police the support they need to keep order during tough times or will he appoint an ice-cream cone as commissioner? Bloomberg hasn't been perfect, but I have no desire to return to the bad old days. Stop and Frisk can be improved, no question, but it should not be dismantled.

May. 01 2013 10:46 AM
Robert from NYC

Yeah but again I ask what do these folks, including de Blasio, what do they call "affordable"? Affordable for who?!!!!!

May. 01 2013 10:44 AM
John from NYC

Hmmmm. A Racial Profiling Bill.

Does that mean that he wants the police to be required to stop and firsk in proportion to which different ethnic groups commit crimes?

May. 01 2013 10:44 AM
also

if any new yorkers besides young minorities were being stopped and frisked everyone would be up in arms

May. 01 2013 10:43 AM
art525 from Park Slope

I live in park Slope and have seen Bill DeBlasio in action. He has been engaged in issues working for our neighborhood. I know he will do that on a grander scale as mayor. Quinn will be more of the same- four more years of Bloomberg. Not a pretty picture. I have my fingers crossed that people will discover him and see that he is the best candidate. DeBlasio for mayor!

May. 01 2013 10:42 AM
justme

I completely agree that this is fear mongering. Outrageous.

May. 01 2013 10:41 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Mayor Bloomberg actually cited the Boston Marathon bombing & 9/11 to justify stop-&-frisk?? Does he think stop-&-frisk would have prevented the 9/11 attacks--or just that the public will believe it would have (which is an insult to our intelligence)? And stop-&-frisk--esp. as practiced in NYC--wouldn't have stopped the marathon bombers either. Could the police or security really have searched everyone who came to watch the marathon?

Even the decrease in gun deaths in NYC doesn't prove it was stop-&-frisk that did it, & even if it did, that doesn't mean it needs to be done as often & overwhelmingly as it is to be effective. In the later clip, the mayor referred to reasonable suspicion, but that's exactly the issue. Tens of thousands of people, mostly young black & Latino people, are stopped & frisked *without* reasonable suspicion.

May. 01 2013 10:41 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

I like Bill De Blasio as a person but I'm NOT a fan of a good portion of his politics. However:

Bloomberg loves black and latino kids so much, he believes they should stay alive enough give up their 4th amendment rights and fight a BS dime bag weed charge for the next three years. What a bully.

May. 01 2013 10:40 AM
Robert from NYC

Bloomberg is a was and let's hope his term ends finally and without any influence on the coming administration. I'm tired of his fear tactics and he's worried about himself and his billionaire ilk. And of course he defends Ray Kelly, Thug, after all he's made Kelly and his men is personal secret service. We pay for his protection. He should at least pay for his own with the billions he has.

May. 01 2013 10:40 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

Bloomberg is crazy. Never again! I hope he just retires and spends money on gun control ads. He doesn't need another public executive position, thank you.

May. 01 2013 10:40 AM
John from NYC

Apparently the candidate is unhappy with the current murder rate.

What rate is he shooting for ? Back to 2.400 per year? What is the number????

May. 01 2013 10:39 AM
Susan from North Salem, NY

Boston and 9/11 could have been averted by stop-and-frisk? Is that what he's saying?

May. 01 2013 10:38 AM
Robert from NYC

LOL John that's funny, I've never really ever heard him talk about his son like that but I will listen. Your phrase just really tickles me and I can't stop laughing. LOL. I hope that won't be the how his name is posted on the ballot!

May. 01 2013 10:37 AM
blacksocialist from BKbaby

john from office: yes, here we go again, whatever that means you dolt....

May. 01 2013 10:37 AM
Bob from Brooklyn

If you believe in voting, cast your ballot for Weiner! The jokes and laughs alone are worth the effort!

Oh yeah - End Stop and Frisk! Blah.

May. 01 2013 10:34 AM
oscar from ny

..and so the mayor is crying because he doesn't get it his way,talk about political incorrectness...well mr mayor that's politics, if you can't be politically correct than you shouldn't be a politician, you should have a tv show and speak your mind, your common sence exchanges one evil for another, do you really think the real criminals don't know that there are a thousand cops outside waiting for them, so they do it in a hyprocrital way better, all the drug dealers are not hanging outside screaming and yelling to get arrested, that only happens in movies, your just catching these young nobodies, strolling cops and cop cars are sufficient, not messing with these because They'll grow up to hate cops and become real criminals. I really pray for the lord to illuminate these leaders and see and fix What's really going on, too much racism is damaging our streets, its an epidemic that is practiced behind doors...I think that moderation and real action are key remedies for these demons that have paralized this city in becoming a beacon of liberty and justice ...ask yourselves why everyone loves ny?..it was because of its art, its liberty, its music and even our crime was seen as an empire state...

May. 01 2013 10:00 AM