Academy Award–winning director William Friedkin

Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Academy Award–winning director William Friedkin talks about his career in movies and how Hollywood changed to capture the paranoia and fear of a nation undergoing a cultural nervous breakdown. His long-awaited memoir The Friedkin Connection is about making the films The French Connection, The Exorcist, and To Live and Die in LA, from the 1960s to today.

William Friedkin
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Edo from NYC

I think "Sorcerer" was terrific, better than the original French film.

May. 01 2013 01:56 PM
The Truth from Becky

Can we stop talking about the Exorcist now...I am still terrified of that movie!! (looking behind me)

May. 01 2013 01:51 PM
Tony from Canarsie

My favorite of Mr. Friedkin's movies is the offbeat thriller "52 Pick-Up" (1986), with terrific performances by Roy Scheider, Ann-Margret, and a very creepy turn by Clarence Williams III.

Looking forward to reading the book.

May. 01 2013 01:49 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I have to disagree about "Gigot" being a bad movie. And it's not a silent, either--Jackie Gleason's character, Gigot, is mute, but the other characters speak & there are other sounds.

May. 01 2013 01:34 PM
Jim B

Friedkin gets asked this constantly, but it's still fun to hear an answer: Are any of the urban legends that have grown up about filming The Exorcist true?

May. 01 2013 01:27 PM
oscar from ny

I grew up terrified of the exorcist..we lived over at 16st 8th av and there's a scene in the movie where father karras dreams of his mother and there's a particular train station 8th av LL train can be seen also tyou can see the devils face..my father will scare everyone in my house but I knew that somehow the movie was an allegory of something more sinister..starting with iraq and many other things I can observe and quantify its logic...its real...
Ps: Jeffrey damher use to make his victims watch the exorcist before carving them up.
Ps2: the exorcist part 3 is also an emblem of satan power over this earth..

May. 01 2013 12:20 PM
John A

"Sorcerer", the "Wages of Fear" remake will last for me forever. I note that it gets an excellent rating on Amazon to this day.
- - -
"Deal of the Century" was arguably the first anti-drone movie but more importantly a good effort against an all-military America. More effort required, Hollywood!

May. 01 2013 12:00 PM