Try to Forget

Friday, November 14, 2008

Would you want a perfect memory? It may be more important to learn how to forget. To discuss the importance of forgetting is Jill Price, author of The Woman Who Can't Forget, and Dr. Gayatri Devi, clinical associate professor of neurology and psychiatry at the NYU School of Medicine.

Gayatri Devi and Jill Price

Robin Green from NYC

I read her book and it was fascinating. It's an incredible ability -- she can recall every single day of her life in detail and tell you if something of news was happening that day. If you're skeptical, read the book. You'll be amazed.

Nov. 16 2008 11:40 PM
perri

Kim Peek's ("the Real Rain Man") memory is off the charts! His brain soaks up knowledge like a sponge. (And he can read two pages of a book simultaneously, he reads the left page with his left and the right page with his right eye!)

And then there is Clive Wearing who suffers from an inability to make new memories.

As for me, I can still visualize the faces and remember the names of the kids in my entire 6th grade class. And that was nearly 35 years ago.

Nov. 14 2008 08:48 PM
Daniel Freedman from UWS

I hate to be unkind, but....

...is it possible that Ms. Price is just another overeducated , neurotic New Yorker hung up on ruminating about her life?

If there was any mention of actual neurologic evidence, I missed it.

Nov. 14 2008 11:02 AM
hjs from 11211

why is this a problem?

tired? get more sleep.

Nov. 14 2008 10:59 AM
Eric from Midtown

How does the canabinoid network in the brain affect memory? I've read about it, but what does forgetting give us?

Nov. 14 2008 10:54 AM
Jeff from Manhattan

Can you ask the doctor if somehow this condition can be considerded ADHD?

As she is describing the inability to sort out what pieces to forget and what to remember, it is sounding more and more like ADHD as well.

Having been diagnosed with ADHD several times, I find it difficult to sort through the millions of pieces of extraneous information in my mind to function in detail-oriented environment.

Thanks!

Nov. 14 2008 10:52 AM
Gary from UWS

I have a freelance factchecking job for Jill. Seriously. Does she have an email address or website where I can contact her?

Nov. 14 2008 10:52 AM
todd Blankenship

A friend of mine says: "I have a terrible memory. I remember everything!"

Nov. 14 2008 10:49 AM
Chuck in NJ from NJ

I’ve had really bad memory my whole life. As a kid, my parents took me to doctors, psychiatrists and psychologists. Thankfully, I’m very organized and computers really help.

A bad memory isn’t so bad since you don’t know what you’re forgetting. I do wish I had better memory. The 2 biggest problems are I can’t remember the names of people and I wish I could remember my childhood better. My family often discusses a past and I feel as if I was not a part of it.

(I’m 47, a programmer and married with 2 girls in NJ.)

Nov. 14 2008 10:49 AM
The Truth from Atlanta/New York

I can't forget anything job related but, I can barely remember to leave the house with my keys in the AM! What was the question again?

Nov. 14 2008 10:48 AM