Temple Grandin on The Autistic Brain

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Temple Grandin talks about the latest autism science. When she was born in 1947, autism had only just been named. Today, one in 88 children diagnosed on the spectrum, and autism studies have moved from the realm of psychology to neurology and genetics, and there is far more hope today than ever before thanks to groundbreaking new research into causes and treatments. Her book The Autistic Brain, brings her singular perspective to an exploration of innovative theories of what causes autism and how we can diagnose and best treat it.

Temple Grandin

Leslie Tucker from East Village, NYC

Great interview! Makes me wish Temple had her own radio talk show.

Apr. 30 2013 02:44 PM

I wasn't going to bring this up, since the segment appeared to be limited-to the topic of /autism/ but since the topic of animal welfare has been raised now (both at the end of the show as well as in the first comment)...

Doesn't this make anyone else uncomfortable?

That Grandin appears to be such a darling of the likes of Cargill and the American Meat Institute?

Apr. 30 2013 02:16 PM
Lisa

The autism spectrum has been made so broad to include Steve Jobs? What is the science behind this? Are all socially awkward nerds considered autistic?

Apr. 30 2013 02:16 PM

Great, great interview. Thank you.

RE: Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn's comment:
"Much as I hate to say it, we ALL learn by experience (the very essence of apprenticeship/internship); this is not limited to autistic individuals."

Temple Grandin is not saying we don't all learn by experience. I think what she's saying is that while most of us may be able to learn new things by seeing or reading about other peoples' experiences, people with autism cannot do that and require the repetition of their own experiences before they 'get it'.

Apr. 30 2013 02:06 PM
bloumejune from NJ

I loved listening to her. Very interesting and inspiring.
Thank you.

Apr. 30 2013 02:00 PM
foodaggro from Brooklyn

Great interview. Thanks.

Apr. 30 2013 01:57 PM

Any /actual/, /credible/ evidence to support the Vitamin B6 and Magnesium treatment that Dr. Grandin said that she has found helpful?

Apr. 30 2013 01:56 PM

Wow. Wow. Wow. What an interview. Rich, deep, fascinating!

Whatta woman!

Apr. 30 2013 01:52 PM
Cynthia Herzegovitch from East Harlem

She has such a common sense approach which is so refreshing. I agree with Carl - a hero.

Apr. 30 2013 01:51 PM
Scott from Brooklyn

What's Ms. Grandin's assessment of District 75?

Apr. 30 2013 01:42 PM

Is there autism in any other primates?

Apr. 30 2013 01:39 PM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

I've read Thinking in Pictures and recognize many of the characteristics Dr. Grandin describes in myself, although I am not autistic. And, although I don't necessarily think in pictures, I do often design things completely in my head before drawing them.

I think autism has more to do with social interaction and that we all have some autistic characteristics, but that each individual deals with them differently.

Apr. 30 2013 01:37 PM
carl from queens

Temple is a hero of mine just for the compassion and wisdom she brings to farm animals. Her knowledge, regarding autsim is priceless.

Apr. 30 2013 07:58 AM